Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The other thread was over three years old and almost 600 posts so it was probably about time for a new one. Simply put this is a thread to find out what's good on streaming and to tell others what you think is good on streaming. Whether it's Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube or whatever else is out there, if there's something worth watching on anything, let us know in here!

To get you started here's a post from late in the last thread:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

There are a million great movies on Netflix - Battleship Potemkin, Fargo, The Master, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, & Her Lover, Annie Hall, Gomorrah, The Graduate, The Producers, Days of Being Wild, Valhalla Rising, In Bruges, Sunset Boulevard, Slacker, Galaxy Quest, The Comedy, Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Heathers, In the Loop, Grosse Pointe Blank, City of God, Terminator 2, Trainspotting, Days of Heaven, The Trial, Dead Man, Bronson, The Fifth Element, Once Upon a Time in the West, All About Eve, Nostalghia, Glengarry Glen Ross, Y Tu Mama Tambien, The Apartment, Almost Famous, Metropolis, The Odd Couple, High Noon, eXistenZ, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Super, The Good, The Bad, and the Weird, OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies, OSS 117: Lost in Rio, Upstream Color, Faust, Jerry Maguire, Black Hawk Down, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Our Hospitality, Strike, Manhunter, The Bicycle Thief, Django Unchained, Seven, Reservoir Dogs, Assault on Precinct 13, Clue, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Grey, Stand by Me, Ordinary People, ENcounters at the End of the World, Amores Perros, The General, Mission: Impossible, Shane, Becket, 99 River Street, On Golden Pond, Sling Blade, Detective Bureau 2-3: Go to Hell, Bastards!, The Hunt, Stories We Tell, Holy Motors, The Rabbi's Cat, Melancholia, Oslo, August 31st, Weekend, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Carlos, Armadillo, The Order of Myths, Time and Winds, The Sun, The Return, Russian Ark, Code Unknown, Hoop Dreams, Sherman's March, Mauvais Sang, Alice, Bad Timing, 3 Women, The Conformist, Man with a Movie Camera, Coriolanus... they just can't figure out how to let people find them.

And here are some suggestions of my own (all of these are on Netflix).

Venus In Fur
I have recommended this movie alot over the last year and I think putting it in the OP of a topic will mark the end of me doing that. As of the writing of this OP 50 Shades of Grey is doing really well but how about an actual good movie about S+M. Adapted from a play that's about trying to make a play that's an adaptation of a book that is credited in creating masochism, the play not only explores S+M and what it actually means in relation to people, it also explores art and how it's related to the people that make it. This is pretty much, from what I can tell, a straight adaptation from the play. It's very simple: just two actors on a single set for the entire play. The fact that it's made by Roman Polanski adds something to it just in what the content means. It's also good to see Polanaski doing mainly psychological stuff again. If you're the type that can't stomach a Polanski film, this film will do you know favors, but for everyone else I'd say you should watch it.

It's Such a Beautiful Day
If you were to tell me that the creator of Rejected was going to make one of the best films of the last 10 years, I'd at least be a little surprised. I mean Rejected is great in all, but still, really? Really. Despite it's simple stick figure appearance and silly start this is a surprisingly emotional film that packs a really strong punch. Just watch it. You will not regret doing so.

Maria Bamford: The Special Special Special
Maria Bamford is an odd comedian and not for everybody, but god drat this is a good special. Filmed in her own house with her parents as her only audience, in this Maria talks about many things but in the end starts zeroing in on mental health and how we treat those that are mentally ill. She's really up front about her own struggles with severe depression and gets some very dark very poignant humor out of it.

Gideon's Army
A documentary that focuses on the hell that it is to be a public defender. It's one of those docs that's the right combination of being really inspiring but also being depressing as hell. It will probably leave you pretty angry by the end.

Crystal Fairy and the Magical Cactus
This movie is a very accurate portrayal of college age kids who think they are really interesting when they do drugs. It makes for a funny an awkward movie where not alot happens. Also features Micheal Cera doing a really good job playing against type.

V/H/S
I like found footage films alot. This is my favorite found footage film. It's fuckin' rad.

I think that's a pretty good start.

Oh, also if you want to change regions to see other regions Netflix or whatever, Hola is the extension of choice I believe. Netflix said they might start cracking down on this but last I checked it still works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Some Movies I Like On Netflix:

Short Term 12 - Brie Larson supervises a group home for teens. This is a very good movie.
Chef - Pretty paint-by-numbers film about a sad guy (chef) who hates his job and then he quits and goes back to his true passion (food truck) and reconnects with his son and he is happy. I am a "foodie" so I like it.
The One I Love - ""The One I Love" is a romance and a mystery and a drama, with really only two characters in it, characters who are sketches approximating human beings, but played with sadness and humor by the two lead actors." - Sheila O'Malley, rogerebert

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 15, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
13 Assassins, Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai, Dredd, and Stretch.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Just Another Love Story
An incredible Danish neo-noir that I never see mentioned, but is my favorite Netflix stumbled upon movie. I think I've recommended this a bunch of times in the old thread too.

Also Starship Troopers just went up not long ago. Yeah the original, good one directed by Paul Verhoeven.

Some TV show recommendations:
Southcliffe
I'm really loving this trend of short, British, and incredibly depressing Netflix original series that are coming out. This one is set in a small English town and shows the aftermath of, and events leading up to, a spree shooting.

The Fall
Gillian Anderson and handsome, ruggedly creepy new face Jamie Dornan give incredible performances.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Everybody watch Detention.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I'm here to second It's Such A Beautiful Day. Everyone should watch it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Adventures of Baron Munchausen is one of the finest films and greatest soundtracks ever to grace the silver screen
Konga is an art piece about the dangers of science when paired with on man narcissistic desires. It is pretty much the sole insperation of 2001 a Space Oddessy and it's dialogue is taught to English majors.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 15, 2015

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Danger 5 is a really funny show, and everyone should watch it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Someone asked about time travel movies, and I think Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel was decent. And Edge Of Tomorrow is basically Groundhog Day with mech suits.

But both are on HBO GO only :(

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Gideon's Army is definitely worth your time if you haven't seen it yet, and along the same lines Into The Abyss, Werner Herzog's look at the use of the death penalty in the USA, is also worth seeing.

The Act of Killing, though, is maybe the best documentary film I've seen on Netflix. Incredibly difficult to watch, in parts, but a very creative way to tell a very horrible tale.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

A good show that is on Netflix is Spartacus. It's part Rome, part Game of Thrones, with a bit of Deadwood's creative use of profanity.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Infernal Affairs. Watch Infernal Affairs.

Then watch it again.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

mr.capps posted:

Then watch it again.

For those who don't know, "The Departed" is a remake of "Infernal Affairs," with Nicholson's role fleshed out a bit more to be sorta based on Whitey Bulger.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mr.capps posted:

Then watch Dredd.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Nah, then watch Sonatine instead.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

A good show that is on Netflix is Spartacus. It's part Rome, part Game of Thrones, with a bit of Deadwood's creative use of profanity.

While this show is great, and probably one of my favorites, be warned it starts off real rough. Once it gets to episode four though it's just straight awesome.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The thousand guys j/o over Spartacus should probably mention the hilarious/embarrassing special effects.

Also, Rome is streaming on Amazon Prime!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Watched Oculus tonight. Worth a watch if you're in the mood for horror. My main gripe is the ending is pretty unsatisfying. It feels like the movie was missing a climax, and that the "mirror" had already won from the start as it could make the siblings think whatever it wanted them to. Maybe that was the point? Either way the anchor/killswitch going wrong was telegraphed from a mile away. The movie explicitly showed us that it could go wrong early in the film, and that the characters understood how the "mirror" was trying to use it against them. Would have been better in the end if the mirror was destroyed or at least was cracked a bit more. Otherwise, very little actually happened with the story. Interesting horror concept but not fully developed.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dearest Netflix. Stop moving "My List" to the bottom of the drat page I paid you for. Its right under that stupid "Share list" I will never ever use and can't remove.

Ravenous needs to be on the list of overlooked cool movies. Its on Netflix the soundtrack is great the acting is bonkers and its a tense period piece horror movie.

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

Watched Oculus tonight. Worth a watch if you're in the mood for horror. My main gripe is the ending is pretty unsatisfying. It feels like the movie was missing a climax, and that the "mirror" had already won from the start as it could make the siblings think whatever it wanted them to. Maybe that was the point? Either way the anchor/killswitch going wrong was telegraphed from a mile away. The movie explicitly showed us that it could go wrong early in the film, and that the characters understood how the "mirror" was trying to use it against them. Would have been better in the end if the mirror was destroyed or at least was cracked a bit more. Otherwise, very little actually happened with the story. Interesting horror concept but not fully developed.

Ditto. I'm just happy that it was better than most of the horror movies that find their way to Netflix. The mood is constantly unsettling and you don't know what will happen next. Also managed to balance the flashbacks with present-day narrative fairly well. Ending could have been better but I'm sure the writers were pleased to see a sad ending make it to the final cut.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

Should have put the countermeasure and the mirror out of their reach. Or hired a hitman to murder that mirror.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Watch Paris is Burning if you are even remotely interested in documentaries.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

cowbeef posted:

Ditto. I'm just happy that it was better than most of the horror movies that find their way to Netflix. The mood is constantly unsettling and you don't know what will happen next. Also managed to balance the flashbacks with present-day narrative fairly well. Ending could have been better but I'm sure the writers were pleased to see a sad ending make it to the final cut.

Agree about the unsettling nature of the film and good use of flashbacks, but "sad" or bad-guy-wins endings are fairly common in horror, so that wasn't that surprising. Even expected. Actually in retrospect most of the story presented in the latter parts of the film was explaining what happened to the kids when they were younger, rather than them fighting the mirror in present day. Then the brother flips the switch and an anti-deus-ex-machina puts his sister in front of the anchor. Although it was her own poor design that killed her so just deserts I guess?

Bonus Oculus spoiler question:
Did the sister's fiance actually die? Or no? I forget or might have missed something

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was completely unaware that Review with Forrest MacNeil was adapted from an Australian series. The US version got pretty drat dark, but the original is, by series end, one of the blackest comedies I've seen in quite a long time.

It's called Review with Myles Barlow, and it's on Hulu. Good times.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Leper Residue posted:

While this show is great, and probably one of my favorites, be warned it starts off real rough. Once it gets to episode four though it's just straight awesome.

Yeah, first three episodes are garbage and the show finally explodes in episode four.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, first three episodes are garbage and the show finally explodes in episode four.

This 100 times over.

I remember thinking "man I wish this show would do *insert ideas here*" and then it did.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Horns was way better than I thought it'd be. Yes, even the extremely goofy last 20 minutes. Shame it telegraphed its twists so hard though.

Radcliffe can act alright.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I'm here to second It's Such A Beautiful Day. Everyone should watch it.

I'm thirding it, it's a wonderful little thing. And it's only an hour long, but manages to pack so much in that short of a time. It's not often a film gets me to tear up, but It's Such A Beautiful Day did.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The Act of Killing, though, is maybe the best documentary film I've seen on Netflix. Incredibly difficult to watch, in parts, but a very creative way to tell a very horrible tale.

The Act Of Killing is loving amazing. It's such a brutal movie tackling horrific subject matter in an almost flippant way, because that's how those who commit genocide see it. It's unlike anything else I've ever seen.

Junkie Disease posted:

Ravenous needs to be on the list of overlooked cool movies. Its on Netflix the soundtrack is great the acting is bonkers and its a tense period piece horror movie.

I love Ravenous. It's a bit of a goofy cannibal flick that has stellar performances and a knockout soundtrack. It takes its central ideas and runs with them, making a really wild, fun movie. Also, again, the soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-KLn_PgQg

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'm thirding it, it's a wonderful little thing. And it's only an hour long, but manages to pack so much in that short of a time. It's not often a film gets me to tear up, but It's Such A Beautiful Day did.

The Act Of Killing is loving amazing. It's such a brutal movie tackling horrific subject matter in an almost flippant way, because that's how those who commit genocide see it. It's unlike anything else I've ever seen.

I love Ravenous. It's a bit of a goofy cannibal flick that has stellar performances and a knockout soundtrack. It takes its central ideas and runs with them, making a really wild, fun movie. Also, again, the soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-KLn_PgQg

As opposed to the serious high brow cannibal flicks? Hannibal cat suck an egg.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is The Act of Killing Director's Cut worth the extra 37 minutes?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Junkie Disease posted:

As opposed to the serious high brow cannibal flicks? Hannibal cat suck an egg.

I'd definitely say that Silence of the Lambs and Cannibal Holocaust are more serious about cannibalism than Ravenous. I haven't seen Hannibal, but by all accounts that's a good thing.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'd definitely say that Silence of the Lambs and Cannibal Holocaust are more serious about cannibalism than Ravenous. I haven't seen Hannibal, but by all accounts that's a good thing.

Hannibal was a lot of fun and absolutely worth watching unless you're talking about the movie.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
Hannibal (the film) is gorgeous and hilarious at times. The first hour is so useless though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The Act of Killing is just straight up the best documentary I've ever seen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The movie Hannibal is mostly just a mess, but has some entertaining elements. The stuff in Italy is good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

As an American, I have to say that Shaun Ryder on UFOs is the most insane thing to me. It's just some fat bald guy who yells everything and slurs his speech talking to people about spacemen for no reason that I can determine.

I guess it's a vanity project for some British guy who used to make EDM?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
OP recommended V/H/S and if anyone liked it I really do recommend the sequel V/H/S 2 (which is also on Netflix) because it tries to reinvent the found footage genre in the same way while also being absolutely batshit crazy (and violent) at the same time. The highlight there is the segment that is a zombie story told via a GoPro camera by someone freshly infected...watch it for that one even if you are sick of zombie movies.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Act of Killing is just straight up the best documentary I've ever seen.

As much as I hate "it's the best (blank) I've ever (blank)" proclamations, I think I'd have to agree.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jack Gladney posted:

As an American, I have to say that Shaun Ryder on UFOs is the most insane thing to me. It's just some fat bald guy who yells everything and slurs his speech talking to people about spacemen for no reason that I can determine.

I guess it's a vanity project for some British guy who used to make EDM?

The Happy Mondays weren't remotely EDM, they were original rave music/britpop and they were very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Act Of Killing is the type of documentary that almost blurs the line between fiction and reality because of how loving ridiculous all the events portrayed in it are, but nope, they're all real, and that's pretty horrifying.