Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

precision posted:

The Happy Mondays weren't remotely EDM, they were original rave music/britpop and they were very good

He does come across as very charming, and just really excited to see hills and lakes in other countries. He also gets bored really quickly with kooks who don't share his ideas about UFOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
PEAKY BLINDERS

is real fuckin good even though it has one of the worst titles ever. I'm a big Sam Neil fan and I could watch Tom Hardy's character all day...:munch:

If waking up at 7 and drinking whiskey/eating cigarettes is your thing then check this show out

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Devil's Pass is worth a watch if you can still handle found footage horror. I thought the setting was pretty good and entertaining. Some decently creepy sound design too. I'd recommend watching with a good pair of headphones.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Darf posted:

PEAKY BLINDERS

is real fuckin good even though it has one of the worst titles ever. I'm a big Sam Neil fan and I could watch Tom Hardy's character all day...:munch:

If waking up at 7 and drinking whiskey/eating cigarettes is your thing then check this show out

Yeah this show is good stuff. I could watch a show of just that one character doing nothing but reading out loud for the whole show.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Also, it's probably worth adding sources like https://canistream.it for finding streamable movies/tv across several platforms. Though I'm sure there are better ways.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jack Gladney posted:

He does come across as very charming, and just really excited to see hills and lakes in other countries. He also gets bored really quickly with kooks who don't share his ideas about UFOs.

It's also worth noting that the whole "when I was a kid I saw a UFO" story is real but that it happened while he was on Ecstasy or LSD. It's documented briefly in the film 24 Hour Party People (which I don't think is on Netflix anymore sadly).

Magnus The Red
Oct 25, 2010

Russ is kind of a dick.
I'm a big fan of comedy horrors so I would recommend Tucker & Dale vs Evil for an different/opposite take on cabin in the woods slasher flicks. Also Dead Snow 2 has some really dark humor, zombie killing action, and lots of gore. 2nding Horns and Ravenous.

Magnus The Red fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 16, 2015

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Magnus The Red posted:

Dead Snow 2 has some really dark humor, zombie killing action, and lots of gore.

This has been sitting in my queue since they added it, mocking me. I think tonight is the night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cheers on the shiny new thread AB.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Here are some more random Netflix streaming recommendations I haven't seen posted yet:

Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
Thief (1981)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002)
Oldboy (2003)
Lady Vengeance (2005)
L'Age D'Or (1930)
Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (1995)
Mud (2012)
The Sacrifice (1986)
The Barbarian Invasions (2003)
The Trap (2007)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Elite Squad: The Enemy Within (2010)
The Hunter (2011)
Muriel's Wedding (1994)
Headhunters (2011)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Boys from Brazil (1978)

These are obviously all gold-played A+ recommendations, because I have excellent taste.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Obligatory watch Black Mirror post. It's The Outer Limits if The Outer Limits was British, reflective on very recent developments in technology, and depressing as gently caress.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Since its a new thread nobody will be annoyed if I mention 13 Assassins again. If you enjoy samurai films on any level, this is a must-watch. I know its blasphemy to some, but this movie is just as good as a lot of Kurosawa's stuff in my opinion. I wouldn't say its better, just that it lives up to that legacy, which I think is what Miike was trying to do. He was trying to make his ultimate samurai masterpiece and I think he succeeded.

There are about 10 characters in this film that are amazing and extremely memorable, even if it takes a few viewings to get their names exactly right. This film has an amazing overall story, and a lot of the individual characters have great little story arcs if you pay attention. It also has a great villain who, as any great villain does, also had a very memorable right-hand guy who kicks rear end.

Most people will talk about the action scene(s), and the fact that the entire last 40 minutes or so of the film is one relentlessly grueling battle. I'm just going to leave this one clip here, if you can watch it and still don't want to see more, quit movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HwzVqcNaSU

monstertruckdriver
Jul 23, 2006
give em another 3% and make em water
I'll second Black Mirror. I was slightly underwhelmed by "Be Right Back" (s2e1) and rather underwhelmed by "The Waldo Moment" (s2e3) but the other 4 episodes are incredibly strong. Anyone know if the Christmas special will show up on Netflix anytime soon?

A few things from "My List" that I enjoyed:

Los Angeles Plays Itself is a lengthy documentary about the geography and architecture of Los Angeles and how it has been portrayed in movies all throughout the 20th and 21st centuries. It gets into sociological and urban planning issues as well. I found it extremely interesting.

Europa Report is a pretty great found footage sci-fi movie about a manned expedition to the titular moon of Jupiter. Excellent production values for its small budget, Sharlto Copley is in there too.

Kill List is a movie that you should go in as blind as possible, it's about a couple of ex-hitmen who get recruited for one last job. I'll leave it there.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, first three episodes are garbage and the show finally explodes in episode four.

Just watched the 4th episode of Spartacus after only seeing the first one a long time ago. It didn't hook me then but after seeing everyone say pretty much the same thing about the rocky start I gave it another chance and skipped episodes 2 and 3. I was not disappointed... I instantly became a fan when one of the pit fighters peeled another fighter's face off. And wore it as a mask. This is definitely my kind of show.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i always recommend 2 excellent documentaries to people looking for stuff to watch

The Imposter is the story of a 13 year old boy from Texas who disappeared in 1994, and reappeared in 1997 with a wild tale of being kidnapped, imprisoned, and abused by some high-ranking military officials from Mexico, the U.S., and Europe. They injected him with a variety of chemicals, using him as a guinea pig for genetic experimentation, abusing him for several years until he made his escape out on to the streets, where a police officer found him huddled and terrified in a phone booth. When he finally flew back to the United States and was brought to the Barclay family, they accepted him with open and loving arms even though the years of torment had taken their toll and rendered him near-mute and nothing like the boy they remembered. No matter how many years had passed or how much Nicholas had changed, the Barclays just wanted him home. Nothing will make you believe in the power of love like this movie.

The Woman Who Wasn't There is about one of the most well-known 9/11 survivors, Tania Head. She had the most heartbreaking tale of anyone: she was in the first building hit on the 78th floor and was badly injured, saved only thanks to Welles Crowther (the Man in the Red Bandana) who ended up saving the lives of 12 people. Perhaps the most tragic part of it all was when she witnessed the second plane hit and realized that her fiance Dave was inside the building and likely dead. Using her story to drive her forward instead of to crush her, she was instrumental in lobbying for and receiving aid on behalf of the survivors (getting access to Ground Zero which they had previously been denied, increased media recognition, creating a massive support network). All of this effort made Tania the ultimate survivor, and her incredible story gave other survivors the strength to fight on when they otherwise might not have. God... where would they even be if Tania and her story didn't exist? An inspirational movie about a unbelievable woman and her unbelievable story.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Your efforts to not spoil those movies is kind of betrayed by their titles.

Those are both good movies that go well together though. I particularly like the latter because it's a movie that really makes you question what value the truth actually has.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The thing about The Imposter is that the tittle isn't alluding to the most hosed up thing about that story.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

The thing about The Imposter is that the tittle isn't alluding to the most hosed up thing about that story.

yeah, i think both of them are best viewed when you are full of immense dread knowing what the lie is and how the dramatic confrontation is going to come. but then when you see it all unfold and how deep and disgusting it was, and how many people both affected and that there's so much more horror going on than just the superficial point of "these two people are pathological liars."

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Junkie Disease posted:

Adventures of Baron Munchausen is one of the finest films and greatest soundtracks ever to grace the silver screen

It's Terry Gilliam's perfect film. I love it so much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's Terry Gilliam's perfect film. I love it so much.

It's as good as Brazil? I know its probably apples to oranges but I love Brazil and for some reason I've never gotten around to Muchausen.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Outrage and Beyond Outrage are awesome. They are Beat Takeshi's first yakuza films in (I believe) over a decade and they are fantastic.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Basebf555 posted:

It's as good as Brazil? I know its probably apples to oranges but I love Brazil and for some reason I've never gotten around to Muchausen.

I'm biased. I could watch Baron Munchausen at any time and it improves my life. I like Brazil but I think it drags a bit.

This isn't to say that Baron Munchausen is perfect.
it does have its flaws but overall it's themes and performances blow me away everytime.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 16, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Basebf555 posted:

It's more in the vein of Time Bandits than Brazil, so if you like TB, you'll probably love Munchausen.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dongsweep posted:

Outrage and Beyond Outrage are awesome. They are Beat Takeshi's first yakuza films in (I believe) over a decade and they are fantastic.

They were great and I definitely think you should watch them back to back if possible.

My only problem with them at all was the sort of VP crime boss who went against the head guy didn't really seem to have any motivation at all for betraying the family. That just kinda seemed not to fit and he was just being the bad guy for the movie to have a bad guy. Did I miss something?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Brazil hits more notes for me, but Baron is fantastic.

Edit: I was talking about Brazil and someone else wasn't .

Brazil is an amazing and hilarious paranoid look at the helplessness of Man vs. Establishment. That soundtrack, too...

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 16, 2015

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Some tips on how to find good movies on Netflix:

Look at the sites
http://instantwatcher.com
and
http://www.moreflicks.com

Moreflix can help you find movies available in different Netflix regions. Use a service like unblock.us or browser plugins to trick Netflix into thinking you live somewhere else.

Instead of the normal "top picks", have a look at the list in:
http://www.netflix.com/Subtitles

It's way longer, and has Netflix's guessed ratings for movies and series.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

That Works posted:

They were great and I definitely think you should watch them back to back if possible.

My only problem with them at all was the sort of VP crime boss who went against the head guy didn't really seem to have any motivation at all for betraying the family. That just kinda seemed not to fit and he was just being the bad guy for the movie to have a bad guy. Did I miss something?

I think the head guy was constantly blaming him, smacking him upside the head in public, essentially belittling him and then he saw an opportunity to become the head of the family and took it

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Please don't troll

E: Exit Through The Gift Shop may be my favorite documentary of all time. The first half is an interesting examination of "street art" - aka graffiti, filmed over several years by an outsider of the scene who has more ambition than talent. The second half does something absolutely astonishing and to say any more would diminish it. Even if you have zero interest in the street art scene - I certainly didn't care about it at all - I can not recommend this documentary highly enough. The only suggestion I would make is that if you're not familiar with Banksy, do a quick read of his Wikipedia article before watching.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 16, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dongsweep posted:

I think the head guy was constantly blaming him, smacking him upside the head in public, essentially belittling him and then he saw an opportunity to become the head of the family and took it

Yea I got the feeling that guy had been waiting for that exact opportunity, he had been ready for it for a while. Like you said, he's shown being belittled by the boss at least a few times earlier in the movie.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

regulargonzalez posted:

Please don't troll

Ignore this troll.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Detention has been a hotly divisive film in the stream thread, I'm on the side that says it's surprisingly good.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Detention rules. gently caress the haters.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Saw Maidentrip, a brisk documentary about Laura Dekker, a Dutch girl who at 14 is the youngest person to ever attempt to sail around the globe completely alone -- estimated travel time 2 years!

Most of the footage is Laura filming herself in the boat. It all quickly becomes a metaphor for growing up, becoming independent and finding what you want from life.

Aside from some swearing it's an excellent family film.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Detention rules. gently caress the haters.

Detention is Heathers for the Adderall and Facebook set.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chichevache posted:

Speaking of Heathers

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/03/26/heathers-facts/

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Chichevache posted:

I'm not a fan of Detention but I can't argue with this characterization.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
People should just watch Heathers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix really needs to add Pump Up the Volume for the ultimate double feature with Heathers

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Magnus The Red posted:

Also Dead Snow 2 has some really dark humor, zombie killing action, and lots of gore.

Watched this the other night. I felt the comedy really tailed off in the second half (though there were still some great gags) but on the whole I was genuinely impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I saw Fight Club in cinemas but didn't see Heathers until last year. It felt like the other shoe had dropped, somehow.