Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Honeymoon is a recent addition, according to instant watcher. It's about a young couple on honeymoon at her childhood summer cottage. Things don't go exactly to plan, as she starts sleepwalking in the woods for some reason.

Not amazing but creepy enough to warrant a watch, I think.

Edit: the girl is apparently in game of thrones and she's a very pretty lady.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Watched The One I Love based on thread recommendation.

I will probably rewatch this movie (pretty rare for me), and delight in showing it to people for the first time.

Not really spoilers but would have helped me before watching (still go in cold)

there are no jump scares, you can calm down

actual spoilers
I did not think Jim from The Office could pull off serious. Also those last ~10 seconds, after she says "eggs and bacon", his ability to convey a person fully understanding the situation, and then accepting it, was really impressive.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 17, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

madpanda posted:

Watched The One I Love based on thread recommendation.

I will probably rewatch this movie (pretty rare for me), and delight in showing it to people for the first time.

Not really spoilers but would have helped me before watching (still go in cold)

there are no jump scares, you can calm down

actual spoilers
I did not think Jim from The Office could pull off serious. Also those last ~10 seconds, after she says "eggs and bacon", his ability to convey a person fully understanding the situation, and then accepting it, was really impressive.

I hope I'm not ruining a meta-joke, but that isn't Jim from The Office. It is Pete from The League.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

"That's not Jim from The Office, it's the one guy from The League who looks like Jim from The Office" they all cried in unison

E gently caress

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Recently I watched Frank and I'm not sure if it's been recommended or not. I do highly recommend it if you like more experimental music and movie-making that matches its oddities. Most of the actors are average, but it's clearly Michael Fassbender's movie, and he owns the part of the title character. It may have you welling up at the end if you have any sort of musical experience. If you don't, it's still an enjoyable ride that's a bit wacky throughout, but has a very heartfelt and slightly bittersweet ending.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
Frank is great

I Love you allllllllllll

Being around music and in/out of bands my whole life the movie really struck a chord with me

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
THE PRODUCERS is on there.

Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder before Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

magnificent7 posted:

THE PRODUCERS is on there.

Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder before Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights is also on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt3gcSyL5vg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

InterrupterJones posted:

Recently I watched Frank and I'm not sure if it's been recommended or not. I do highly recommend it if you like more experimental music and movie-making that matches its oddities. Most of the actors are average, but it's clearly Michael Fassbender's movie, and he owns the part of the title character. It may have you welling up at the end if you have any sort of musical experience. If you don't, it's still an enjoyable ride that's a bit wacky throughout, but has a very heartfelt and slightly bittersweet ending.

What was wrong with the other actors?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Watch Head Hunters, Misfits, or Almighty Johnsons if you like something on the lighter side of things.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If you can get down with pulp sci-fi, Message From Space is what's up. Also, everyone watch The Stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Seeing The Stuff, makes me wish Q: The Winged Serpent was on Instant Watch :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Sirens is a comedy about Chicago EMTs written by Denis Leary. It feels exactly like Leary wrote it. If you want to watch a Denis Leary tv show then this is it. If you don't, don't.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Christ, I just watched "It's Such a Beautiful Day" due to this thread. I feel like I was just punched in the stomach. Then helped up off the floor. Then punched in the stomach again. It is a really good emotional roller coaster of a narrative. If you have not seen it yet, then you should. I strongly second the recommendation.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

NESguerilla posted:

Devil's Pass is worth a watch if you can still handle found footage horror. I thought the setting was pretty good and entertaining. Some decently creepy sound design too. I'd recommend watching with a good pair of headphones.

If you are from Oregon, you should probably watch the beginning of this movie. If you went to the University of Oregon, you HAVE to watch this movie. It's amazing. They pronounce Oregon wrong, they get the campus all wonky, and best of all they get the climate craaaazy wrong. Like, snow on the ground and people are totally cool with it. For people who may not know, Eugene is a drizzly little town in a valley, which is really obvious if you look in any direction. This movie has a bizarro-Eugene that is covered in snow and is perfectly flat. It also has a huge river running right through campus. I have no idea why they decided they HAD to have the students be from the U of O, it affects the plot in no way at all except for when it makes you scratch your head. It would be like making a movie set at Harvard filmed in the midwest with all the characters mispronouncing Boston. It's weird to sperg about but I live across the street from the University and my buddy and I could not believe what we were watching. Luckily they leave the US rather quickly and stop saying Arrrgon.

Also if you know anything about the Dyatlov Pass Incident (the basis for the horror part of the movie) and how there is actually no mystery at all about what really happened, them playing up this big ol' ~mystery~ is pretty drat funny.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 17, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't know if I've watched something as depressing as The Act of Killing.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Mr E posted:

Dear Zachary.

Also on Netflix.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Mr E posted:

I think when I watched it I was in such a state of utter shock and horror that I could not feel depressed.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What was wrong with the other actors?

There wasn't anything really wrong with the performances, just pretty one-note. The two best performances were definitely Michael Fassbender and Scoot McNairy, but Maggie Gyllenhaal and Domhnall Gleeson were a bit static the whole time. The other two band members were pretty underplayed, and as such didn't really develop as the story went on either. This is definitely the kind of movie that supports those character types, though, so that was likely their intent from the start.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

monstertruckdriver posted:

Europa Report is a pretty great found footage sci-fi movie about a manned expedition to the titular moon of Jupiter. Excellent production values for its small budget, Sharlto Copley is in there too.

I liked this one. I especially appreciated how they behaved sort of like how actual astronauts might, instead of like the idiots you usually see in movies like this.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Samfucius posted:

Dear Zachary.

Also on Netflix.

Oh I watched that and have purged it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chichevache posted:

Sirens is a comedy about Chicago EMTs written by Denis Leary. It feels exactly like Leary wrote it. If you want to watch a Denis Leary tv show then this is it. If you don't, don't.

Netflix keeps recommending this but I had no idea Denis Leary wrote it. Sold.

fake edit: that cop show he had in the early 2000s was really good, isn't it on Netflix? I know it was like 5 months ago

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

InterrupterJones posted:

There wasn't anything really wrong with the performances, just pretty one-note. The two best performances were definitely Michael Fassbender and Scoot McNairy, but Maggie Gyllenhaal and Domhnall Gleeson were a bit static the whole time. The other two band members were pretty underplayed, and as such didn't really develop as the story went on either. This is definitely the kind of movie that supports those character types, though, so that was likely their intent from the start.

If I remember correctly the other band members were cast as musicians first and actors second, so their parts were deliberately fairly background. Which is totally okay, the film's not really about them and doesn't call for them to do much other than play, pose and scowl.

I will warn anyone who goes in with expectations - the film is not about Frank Sidebottom and Chris Sievy, but uses the character of Frank to explore music and the notion of the tortured genius. Hopefully this should have been obvious from the start (Frank's head in the film is recognisably similar, but distinct from, Frank Sidebottom's) but I've seen some really angry reviews complaining that the film isn't a straightforward biopic and doesn't mention Timperley once.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Detention rules. gently caress the haters.

Chichevache posted:

Detention is Heathers for the Adderall and Facebook set.

Sarchasm posted:

I'm not a fan of Detention but I can't argue with this characterization.

Basically this. Detention is a movie that either connects with you or doesn't. I think it's incredibly funny, but can completely understand why someone would hate it.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 17, 2015

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone with Hulu Plus, there's some good stuff Horror-wise on there: The Devil's Rejects, Night of the Living Dead '90, all 3 Ginger Snaps and Scanners movies, From Beyond, Cannibal Holocaust, Blair Witch 2, Candyman, The House on Sorority Row, House by the Cemetery,. The Beyond, Frankenhooker, Inferno, The Prowler, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Pieces, Intruder, Prince of Darkness, Slither, The Funhouse and a few more good ones.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

precision posted:

fake edit: that cop show he had in the early 2000s was really good, isn't it on Netflix? I know it was like 5 months ago

You're thinking about Rescue Me

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Fishstick posted:

You're thinking about Rescue Me

The show was called The Job.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

InterrupterJones posted:

Whaaa? I thought Maggie and Domnhall were fantastic. True, the characters are less rangy than Scoot and Fassbender but that's kind of what the movie's about, these people under the sway of this magnetic, unstable person. At times it does read like a Portlandia sketch though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Paper Kaiju posted:

Whoops

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Anyone with Hulu Plus, there's some good stuff Horror-wise on there: The Devil's Rejects, Night of the Living Dead '90, all 3 Ginger Snaps and Scanners movies, From Beyond, Cannibal Holocaust, Blair Witch 2, Candyman, The House on Sorority Row, House by the Cemetery,. The Beyond, Frankenhooker, Inferno, The Prowler, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Pieces, Intruder, Prince of Darkness, Slither, The Funhouse and a few more good ones.

And if I can go for the classic horror route through the Criterion collection (which if you like classic movies at all is by far the best reason to have Hulu Plus), there's House (the Japanese one), Carnival of Souls, Kwaidan, Eyes Without a Face, and Kuroneko.

Really, of the three major services Hulu Plus winds up with the best foreign film selection. I'm in the middle of watching every single Akira Kurosawa movie. I need to watch Stray Dog this week...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I may be in the minority, but I think Stray Dog is his best movie.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

And if I can go for the classic horror route through the Criterion collection (which if you like classic movies at all is by far the best reason to have Hulu Plus), there's House (the Japanese one), Carnival of Souls, Kwaidan, Eyes Without a Face, and Kuroneko.

Not to mention The Brood, Fiend Without a Face, Equinox. Hulu Plus is well worth the $8.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Fiend Without a Face

Of the four horror films from that studio (they were part of a box set when released to DVD but Hulu Plus has all of them), I liked The Living Skeleton the best. It was very Tales From the Crypt. Fiend Without a Face was pretty weird but okay until the ending when it went completely insane.

This is why you need Hulu Plus, so you can participate in discussions of obscure Japanese horror films from the sixties.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paper Kaiju posted:

Yes, that one. I really liked it actually, when I watched it last year.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I was with you up until Blair Witch 2. I haven't seen it, but my somewhat fading memory tells me it was pretty poorly received. Is it worth the time? It's not a true sequel (or prequel, I dunno) is it?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I liked Blair Witch, but hated Blair Witch 2. Give it a go and find out for yourself, is my advice.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Whaaa? I thought Maggie and Domnhall were fantastic. True, the characters are less rangy than Scoot and Fassbender but that's kind of what the movie's about, these people under the sway of this magnetic, unstable person. At times it does read like a Portlandia sketch though.

According to IMDB Johnny Depp was originally up for the Frank role. I can't imagine how much that would derail the genuine heart of this film.

I really liked that the movie (spoilers for the ending) didn't really downplay Frank's mental illness. He was *never* an untouchable genius, just a weirdo who surrounded himself with other weirdos, and the movie could have very easily fallen into the trap of being too twee but doesn't because it stays grounded to the fact that he's a weirdo and his music is strange and inaccessible. It makes the meeting of the parents scene less of a revelation and more of a gut-punch to the main character. Hey dummy, Frank's ill. It's not a gift.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

I was with you up until Blair Witch 2. I haven't seen it, but my somewhat fading memory tells me it was pretty poorly received. Is it worth the time? It's not a true sequel (or prequel, I dunno) is it?

Blair Witch 2 is a very nearly perfect satire of the horror genre around the early-2000s and is a pretty fun and funny film. It leans even more heavily on the inspiration the original film took from Loaded (which is a great New Zealand film that's on Netflix).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Blair Witch 2 reaches a Showgirls-level of utter insanity and has to be seen to be believed.

I'd say pick it up on DVD because the commentary track that details the studio hell that the film went through is essential to the Blair Witch 2 experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, it's probably unfair to hold everyone else's performance against Fassbender; and if that more realistic, sporadic vibe is what they were trying to achieve with the other characters, they admittedly did it quite well.

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I really liked that the movie (spoilers for the ending) didn't really downplay Frank's mental illness. He was *never* an untouchable genius, just a weirdo who surrounded himself with other weirdos, and the movie could have very easily fallen into the trap of being too twee but doesn't because it stays grounded to the fact that he's a weirdo and his music is strange and inaccessible. It makes the meeting of the parents scene less of a revelation and more of a gut-punch to the main character. Hey dummy, Frank's ill. It's not a gift.

A few criticisms of the movie I saw did mention that the ending was a bit of a bummer. I do kind of agree, but at the same time it fits the movie perfectly. Having a major crash as a band that is so avant garde in nature is something that I've actually witnessed for some of my friends playing in bands. The reunion at the end was also one of the most heartwarming things I've seen in a while. At the end they realize - like most musicians do - that they don't really need anyone but each other. For many it's not the fame and fortune that draws them to music, but the familial relationship that is developed. That's what made Don's death so tragic: he wasn't just some guy, but a brother to everyone in the band.