Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

hope and vaseline posted:

The pilot isn't the greatest, and some stuff did rub me the wrong way at first (mostly how the black, gay character's entire conversational repertoire was about constantly affirming how yes, he is indeed black, and gay), but the writers quickly start playing to the strengths of the cast and by the second half of the season is already really solid. Season 2 starts off great as well.

Yeah, that was a big problem for me in the first episode. Felt like some insanely lazy writing, kind of why I called it a Leary project. I might give the second episode a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Season 2 of Bates Motel just went up, and I am loving friendzoned Nice Guy Norman Bates. I just started the season, but it's really one of the funniest shows on tv, which I was not expecting. The core cast are all amazing, and they found a way to make Norman a sweet, naive kid despite being a lunatic killer.

It's got a real Twin Peaks vibe more than anything. I hope it stays good and doesn't fall off a cliff like Twin Peaks. Joe Bob says check it out.

I've been watching it too, and it's really great. Norma and Norman have a great (and loving creepy as poo poo) chemistry.

Norman didn't really have a chance with that messed-up family. I just got to the reveal that Dylan's dad is Norma's brother when he raped her and knocked her up. :gonk: At least he reacted realistically, getting blackout drunk and being found the next morning practically comatose and covered in vomit.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

drat, I was sad when Philip Seymour Hoffman died but I just watched The Master for the first time on Netflix and now its really hitting me hard. This guy was like one of the top-3 living actors we had going when he died, it loving sucks.

Have you seen Synecdoche, New York? It is an amazing movie, but can be very hard to watch. The main character is obsessed with the fact that he is dying, and knowing how he died adds a bittersweet but honest weight to the performance.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

hope and vaseline posted:

The pilot isn't the greatest, and some stuff did rub me the wrong way at first (mostly how the black, gay character's entire conversational repertoire was about constantly affirming how yes, he is indeed black, and gay), but the writers quickly start playing to the strengths of the cast and by the second half of the season is already really solid. Season 2 starts off great as well.
I made it to the episode that was incredibly preachy from both sides at once before saying gently caress it.
- A-plot: Kids today are terrible, they need to play outside, they're fat, they're pussies, their screens, my lawn
- B-plot: Very Special Episode about how asexual people are totally legit/normal/healthy/cool and need to be treated with respect

And yeah the cast is
- experienced normal straight white dude
- new normal straight white dude
and literally everybody else is just an embodiment of whatever minority they are

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Have you seen Synecdoche, New York? It is an amazing movie, but can be very hard to watch. The main character is obsessed with the fact that he is dying, and knowing how he died adds a bittersweet but honest weight to the performance.

I haven't no. I need to go back and see everything he's done, I've really only seen the more well-known stuff where he's rarely the lead.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watched Honeymoon last night and I'd say avoid it. It really just went nowhere.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

NESguerilla posted:

My friends and I did have a great time watching this, but it was much more about coming up with our insane pet theories about what the twist was gonna be than anything else. The title lead to a great deal of false hope that someone was gonna turn out to be a Were-Bee. We also hoped the wooden ducks were gonna become relevant in a big way.

Instead it was a super generic treatment of a super generic horror bad guy.

The scene with the anchor was pretty okay though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I haven't no. I need to go back and see everything he's done, I've really only seen the more well-known stuff where he's rarely the lead.

Him and Dylan Baker steal the show in Happiness as well, so check that out if you get the chance (it's a dark, weird movie, so be warned) .

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Basebf555 posted:

I didn't much care for the movie, but he's phenomenal in Charlie Wilson's War. I didn't like Hanks all that much in it, and I really don't care for Julia Roberts at all for no particular reason, but I'll still watch it if I see that it's on because Hoffman completely steals the movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Magnus The Red posted:

I'm a big fan of comedy horrors so I would recommend Tucker & Dale vs Evil for an different/opposite take on cabin in the woods slasher flicks. Also Dead Snow 2 has some really dark humor, zombie killing action, and lots of gore. 2nding Horns and Ravenous.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

This has been sitting in my queue since they added it, mocking me. I think tonight is the night.
You might go back and make a point to watch Dead Snow again first, because it's very in the vein of Evil Dead 2 (which is why the movie nerd mentions Evil Dead in the first movie I would guess,) and the second movie goes full-on Army of Darkness and has a hilariously gross ending. Also, Dead Snow 2 continues on with the climax of the first movie, and continues there without a break or jump.

Dead Snow 2 is a lot less straight-faced comedy horror and more straight-up goofy, again like army of darkness.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Detention rules. gently caress the haters.
I was entirely won over when the fat guy from Hot Tub Time Machine showed up, playing The Fat Guy From Hot Tub Time Machine. And the absurdly meta inception video watching bit during the Breakfast Club scene.

Samfucius posted:

If you are from Oregon, you should probably watch the beginning of this movie. If you went to the University of Oregon, you HAVE to watch this movie. It's amazing. They pronounce Oregon wrong, they get the campus all wonky, and best of all they get the climate craaaazy wrong. Like, snow on the ground and people are totally cool with it. For people who may not know, Eugene is a drizzly little town in a valley, which is really obvious if you look in any direction. This movie has a bizarro-Eugene that is covered in snow and is perfectly flat. It also has a huge river running right through campus. I have no idea why they decided they HAD to have the students be from the U of O, it affects the plot in no way at all except for when it makes you scratch your head. It would be like making a movie set at Harvard filmed in the midwest with all the characters mispronouncing Boston. It's weird to sperg about but I live across the street from the University and my buddy and I could not believe what we were watching. Luckily they leave the US rather quickly and stop saying Arrrgon.
The fact that there was an ice skating rink in front of a building that looked nothing like Agate Hall made me burst out laughing. There was absolutely no reason to pick U of O when any random college in a place where it actually freezes, would have made more sense (like OIT, although they don't have a film dept).

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 19, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

I didn't much care for the movie, but he's phenomenal in Charlie Wilson's War. I didn't like Hanks all that much in it, and I really don't care for Julia Roberts at all for no particular reason, but I'll still watch it if I see that it's on because Hoffman completely steals the movie.

Seems like that was pretty common for him, at least until he started getting more lead parts. No matter how small the part he always stood out, he was always memorable. Twister is usually the go-to example of Hoffman being awesome in a sea of poo poo. He's also the best villain in the Mission Impossible series.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Does anyone know if the first half of Mad Men season 7 will be going up on US Amazon/Netflix before the rest of it premieres? I can't remember if Breaking Bad's half-season went up before the rest of it aired.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

AFewBricksShy posted:

Much like Erin Brockovich, the woman that Julia Roberts' character is based on is just way cooler than Julia Roberts.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Basebf555 posted:

Seems like that was pretty common for him, at least until he started getting more lead parts. No matter how small the part he always stood out, he was always memorable. Twister is usually the go-to example of Hoffman being awesome in a sea of poo poo. He's also the best villain in the Mission Impossible series.

He managed to steal scenes in the Big Lebowski, a movie where every character in every scene absolutely kills it.

Dude's fantastic. I need to see the Master.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

mr. why posted:

Does anyone know if the first half of Mad Men season 7 will be going up on US Amazon/Netflix before the rest of it premieres? I can't remember if Breaking Bad's half-season went up before the rest of it aired.

Breaking Bad's went up I think on the same day the rest of the season aired so Mad Men will likely do the same thing. I definitely didn't have to wait for all of Season 5 to air to see the first half.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Breaking Bad's went up I think on the same day the rest of the season aired so Mad Men will likely do the same thing. I definitely didn't have to wait for all of Season 5 to air to see the first half.

Breaking Bad Season 5's first half was put on Netflix on August 2, nine days before the August 11 premiere of Season 5 Part 2, which went on Netflix the following February. There was absolutely a wait.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Timby posted:

Breaking Bad Season 5's first half was put on Netflix on August 2, nine days before the August 11 premiere of Season 5 Part 2, which went on Netflix the following February. There was absolutely a wait.

You read his post wrong.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

a worthy uhh posted:

You read his post wrong.

I totally did. :doh:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
gently caress nevermind...Enemy is not on streaming.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 20, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Netflix must have paid a mint for that

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, somehow I just watched Stand By Me for the first time. What went wrong with Rob Reiner?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sirens actually is really funny. It stars like five different people who all talk like Denis Leary thinks teamsters talk but somehow that isn't obnoxious. I never watched Rescue Me.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

Sirens actually is really funny. It stars like five different people who all talk like Denis Leary thinks teamsters talk but somehow that isn't obnoxious. I never watched Rescue Me.

It's pretty obnoxious.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

NESguerilla posted:

This showed a four star rating, and horror movies above 3 are usually hard to find so that is the only reason I watched it. It was supremely disappointing story wise, but it was fairly suspenseful and the actors did ok. Mostly though it was boring, boring, maddening, and then BAM body horror scene out of nowhere and then worthless ending (minus the anchor scene).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Honeymoon seemed like a bad X-Files episode.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
It's Such A Beautiful Day was really good. Great visuals. I like how it brings up all the absurd weird little poo poo that we do everyday.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

This showed a four star rating, and horror movies above 3 are usually hard to find so that is the only reason I watched it. It was supremely disappointing story wise, but it was fairly suspenseful and the actors did ok. Mostly though it was boring, boring, maddening, and then BAM body horror scene out of nowhere and then worthless ending (minus the anchor scene).

Yeah that's pretty much it in a nutshell. I could have forgiven some of it's other flaws since it had it's moments, but the ending was just so unbelievably lame it made the whole movie feel like a waste of an hour and a half.

Also, I watched it for the same reason heh.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 20, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
+1 gets off to a rocky start, and it's a pretty sleazy movie, but it ultimately shapes up into a very creative modern take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Recommend it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

K. Waste posted:

+1 gets off to a rocky start, and it's a pretty sleazy movie, but it ultimately shapes up into a very creative modern take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Recommend it.

Our very own FizFashizzle is in it. I forget his real name so I don't know the character he plays, but he's the notorious goon from One Tree Hil. "Dude, it's prom!".

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I don't think it has been posted in this thread yet, so if you all haven't been watching the 30 for 30's on Netflix, get on it. You absolutely do not have to be a sports person, almost all of them are really fascinating stories in their own right that just so happen to involve sports. I care about Oregon Duck football and pretty much nothing else in all of sports, and I have loved every one I have watched.

If you get overwhelmed by the number of options, I highly recommend The U, June 17 1994, Survive and Advance, and The Two Escobars. Seriously though, I have yet to see a bad one and some have made me tear up.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Samfucius posted:

I don't think it has been posted in this thread yet, so if you all haven't been watching the 30 for 30's on Netflix, get on it. You absolutely do not have to be a sports person, almost all of them are really fascinating stories in their own right that just so happen to involve sports. I care about Oregon Duck football and pretty much nothing else in all of sports, and I have loved every one I have watched.

If you get overwhelmed by the number of options, I highly recommend The U, June 17 1994, Survive and Advance, and The Two Escobars. Seriously though, I have yet to see a bad one and some have made me tear up.

Little Big Men is another good 30 for 30 about the little league championship in the early 1980s and how hosed up parents, etc. were to those kids.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Samfucius posted:

I recently watched The Birth of Big Air, The Boz and You Don't Know Bo. Out of the three I'd recommend the Bo Jackson one the most. It's astounding how amazing of an athlete he was. The other 2 were good though.

I will also second The Two Escobars, as well as recommending Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
30 for 30: Broke is a great one for understanding how all those big money athletes end up, well, broke. I also liked The Real Rocky and Muhammad and Larry for some boxing triumphs/tragedy. No Mas was merely OK; as a character study it was interesting, but Duran's continued delusions made the ending a bit unsatisfying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I loooove the USFL one.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I dunno if the 30 for 30 Soccer Stories are still up, but the Hillsborough one is great.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I loooove the USFL one.

I didn't think I could loathe that man any more than I already did, but after watching that, I managed to bump it up a little more. What a piece of poo poo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
It's all about tha U
It's all about tha U
It's all about tha U
It's all about tha U
It's all about tha U

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Samfucius posted:

Playing for the Mob is pretty great too, it feels exactly like it could be a deleted scene from Goodfellas (with good reason too).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

computer parts posted:

Playing for the Mob is pretty great too, it feels exactly like it could be a deleted scene from Goodfellas (with good reason too).

Yeah, it's a really good procedural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Our very own FizFashizzle is in it. I forget his real name so I don't know the character he plays, but he's the notorious goon from One Tree Hil. "Dude, it's prom!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUJVMzADyq0

An amazing performance.