Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.
Hahaha, just rewatched New World. God drat do I love korean movie fight scenes and their bloody aftermaths.

The Man From Nowhere is another good one.

Dead Precedents fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Brain Games is pretty fun and has some pretty :monocle: illusions. Plus it's narrated by Neil Patrick Harris :allears:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Robocop 2014 was good. Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton were great.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Yep, just finished watching it. It's definitely a different beast than the original but it's also focused on issues that matter a lot more in the contemporary age (or at least that people care about, i.e. drones).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Brain Games is pretty fun and has some pretty :monocle: illusions. Plus it's narrated by Neil Patrick Harris :allears:

Whenever I see that title on the cable guide I think it's some kind of remake of that old HBO kiddie show.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, thank you, thread; I probably never would've watched The One I Love without your recommendations. I really enjoyed that.

I'm glad to see It's Such a Beautiful Day up for streaming. I really enjoyed it when I watched it a few years ago. It's an incredibly moving experience, and I can't recommend it enough. I am not sure that I could watch it again, though.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Finished Season 2 of Bates Motel tonight, and it's really quite good. Dark, and a bit predictable, but still quite good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm watching Rodan. Giant supersonic dinosaurs == best dinosaurs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gerdalti posted:

Finished Season 2 of Bates Motel tonight, and it's really quite good. Dark, and a bit predictable, but still quite good.

Can you try to sell me on this? I keep hearing it's good but the concept sounds really bad and I can't bring myself to watch it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NESguerilla posted:

Can you try to sell me on this? I keep hearing it's good but the concept sounds really bad and I can't bring myself to watch it.

Just give it a shot, it is seriously way better than the concept sounds on paper. Honestly you can just pretend it has no connection to Psycho other than the hosed up Norman/Norma relationship, and even that was only hinted at in Psycho (I don't remember if the sequels expanded on it because they are bad movies).

Losers Take All is a really fun little 80s-punk-rock band movie, got some solid tunes and jokes and just a good time all around.

Frank is also way better than it has any right to be.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

It's mostly a character study of some really flawed people who try their best to get by. It is also screamingly funny and kind of a descendant of Twin Peaks filtered through some more normal crime drama. The connections with Psycho are extremely tentative.

The best praise I can give it is that Norma is a textbook example of either somebody with a serious personality disorder and she's one of the most likeable characters on the show. She's manic and selfish and clingy, but played so well that it's really hard to dislike her. The seasons are short and it's from Carleton Cuse (IE the good half of Lost). I started watching because I wanted to watch something while working out, and now it's something I give my full attention.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
We Are the Best is a fun and good movie on Netflix US. It's about two 13 year old Swedish girls who start a punk band even though they can't play any instruments. The girls are likable and the acting is very believable. Overall a cute movie and an easy watch.

If you have Amazon Prime, Starred Up is a gritty British prison movie about a teenager who gets "starred up" from the juvenile prison to the adult prison. His dad is there and played by Ben Mendleson who is awesome, as is the guy who plays the main kid. Very tense and propulsive but it's a drama at heart.

Also on Amazon Prime is The Rover, an Australian post apocalyptic western starring Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson. Some dudes steal Pearce's car and he tracks them down with Pattinson's help. Slowish paced with bursts of shocking violence and they all wear ratty t-shirts and tennis shoes which I feel is a nice touch.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

NESguerilla posted:

Opening storyline is a mom and son covering up a murder together. It's often darkly funny and Vera Farmiga is great.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I think the greatest compliment you could give to the Robocop remake is that it's amazing how inoffensive it came out, because it certainly had the opportunity to gently caress up so much harder than it did.

Gonna cap off the night with Jan Svankmajer's Alice. Man, this HD print is haaaaaaaaandsome.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Just noticed Housebound got added to Netflix

New Zealand horror-comedy. Good stuff.

Thanks for this recommendation, I loved it!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Human Tornada posted:

We Are the Best is a fun and good movie on Netflix US. It's about two 13 year old Swedish girls who start a punk band even though they can't play any instruments. The girls are likable and the acting is very believable. Overall a cute movie and an easy watch.

Confirmed, this movie is great.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, it got me. I don't think they could could have written a better ending for the film than that.

I dunno why everyone singles out Fassbender's performance though, I thought the entire cast was great. I was really impressed with Gleeson, I (probably unfairly) wasn't expecting much from him, and Maggie Gyllenhaal nailed it.

The thing about Fassbender that I found so enthralling was his ability to emote so strongly, even from inside the head. The delivery of his lines was so perfectly fitting and really got across all of his emotions. This all may be due to the writing of the movie, because his nearly unfailing optimism throughout most of the movie was just so pleasant to watch. Also, the scenes near the end without the head really helped nail his performance. In all honesty though, the ending on the whole was just perfect.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Just noticed Housebound got added to Netflix

Yes! I kept almost renting this on demand but figured it would be up soon. I hear it's great.

Thanks for the recs on Bates Motel people. Going to start that up soon.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Darf posted:

PEAKY BLINDERS

is real fuckin good even though it has one of the worst titles ever. I'm a big Sam Neil fan and I could watch Tom Hardy's character all day...:munch:

If waking up at 7 and drinking whiskey/eating cigarettes is your thing then check this show out

Oh man, seconding this. Peaky Blinders is beautiful, gritty, and just really GOOD.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm going to recommend Maidentrip, a chronicle of Dutch teenager Laura Dekker's solo circumnavigation of the globe in a 40 foot sailboat, a journey that took place in the period where she was ages 14-16 (it was not a nonstop trip, she took lengthy stops at the end of each ocean crossing to travel and visit, make repairs etc.).

When I first heard about this when it was happening (I am a sailor, although I only do very casual sailing) I, like most people, thought her parents were insane to encourage or allow such a thing, and in an objective sense, I think that is still true. Not just because of the dangers of the voyage itself, although there is that, but also because how many 14 year olds can endure the emotional toll of being alone, in a potentially dangerous situation, for weeks or months at a time?

After watching the film I have to say that even though the endeavor was still insane, I have a significant admiration for Laura and her father. The film is mostly composed of "selfie" type video made by Laura during the journey, with some good editing and extra production added (nice animations illustrating the legs of the journey).

Interspersed in the shallow teenager type of talk there does emerge a real philosophy of life, sailing, solitude and the sea in Laura's narration that, in my view, is much more profound and moving than anything I expected out of the film, and that is the beauty of it. You can clearly from the narrative that Laura is a pretty unique person and that the idea and the motivation for the journey is hers, her father's role is not to drive it but to facilitate and allow it.

The sailor in me is hungry for very specific details about the preparations and repairs and the mechanics of the trip but that is not what the film is about. A little of this can be gleaned just from visual details that can be seen during the film, such as the fact that she is pretty much (prudently) wearing a sail harness at all times, and the type of instrumentation on the vessel can be seen. In addition the beautiful travelogue type video of the ocean, the best part of the film is Laura's explanation of the kind of person she is and of her motivations for doing such a thing. The dynamics between Laura and her family are pretty interesting (her parents are divorced), some of it is discussed explicitly and some of it is left for the viewer to read between the lines such as the emotional tension she seems to experience while awaiting the arrival of her father who came to visit and help with repairs during her stop in Australia.

This is certainly fascinating viewing for anyone into sailing and the ocean, like I am, but it also has something for anyone interested in what makes those rare people tick who seek out a life of adventure.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm binging through the early Toho Studios kaiju films. It is a fever dream.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm binging through the early Toho Studios kaiju films. It is a fever dream.

Any you recommend?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Rodan is pretty awesome.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Franchescanado posted:

Any you recommend?

Yay, my favorite subject! Strap in, folks...

Unless there are some more hiding, Netflix only has the following

Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Godzilla Raids Again
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
Godzilla's Revenge
Rodan

All of these but Raids Again are directed by Ishiro Honda, whose work pretty much defined the character from the 50s-70s, and they're all required viewing for the genre. The exception is Godzilla's Revenge, and even then, when I watched the original Japanese cut recently, it turned out to be a fairly decent depiction of the rising issue of latchkey children during Japan's economic boom. It just falls flat as a kaiju film, and the American version on Netflix butchers most of what makes it works and turns it into a lovely kids film, so go ahead and skip that one (most of the kaiju scenes are footage from earlier films, and the only new kaiju scenes aren't very interesting).

As far as the non-Honda film, Raids Again, it's another one that got heavily mangled on localization, but is still watchable, and has the first kaiju battle in cinema. Rodan is the only non-Godzilla film that I know is available, and is truly one of the best kaiju films of the era, in terms of storytelling and tone.

Amazon Prime has all of those, plus

Gojira (original Japanese cut of King of the Monsters)
Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster
Terror of Mechagodzilla

The latter two are also Honda films, Ghidorah takes place between vs. Mothra and vs. Monster Zero (and there is some minor continuity between them, although none of it necessary). Terror of Mechagodzilla is the last Godzilla film of that era, and although it is a direct sequel to Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, it is not required to watch the first film, and the film provides a quick recap during the opening credits.

Gojira is superior in every way to Americanized version, so if you have Amazon Prime, watch this film first, and skip King of the Monsters unless you really want to watch Raymond Burr standing around being Raymond Burr every few minutes.

Hulu has everything on Netflix, plus

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Godzilla vs. Hedorah

The first three are by Jun Fukuda, who was Toho's go-to guy for directing Godzilla films when they couldn't get Honda. His films are undoubtedly inferior, but some still decent and have their own charm, especially with their shift in tone from pulp sci-fi to 'pulp action and adventure with sci-fi elements'. Ebirah is pretty dull unless you're a hardcore fan, but vs. Gigan is more interesting, although is screams 'early 70's Japan'. Then vs Megalon goes back to being dull again (Godzilla is barely a cameo in this one; the film was original meant to launch a franchise about the robot character that gets triple the screen time).

Godzilla vs Hedorah is by Yoshimitsu Banno, who after directing this film was banned by Toho from directing another Godzilla film (although he somehow managed to snag a co-producer credit on Godzilla (2014). Yeah, it's kinda bad, but should still be seen for how trippy and batshit insane it all is.

Summary recommendations:
Watch everything on Netflix and Prime except for Godzilla's Revenge. I recommend watching in chronological order, that way if you find yourself losing interest, you can safely stop because you're not going to be missing any later gems that suddenly increase in quality. If you get through them all and you want more, but don't mind a sudden drop in quality (but a sharp rise in bizarreness), watch the three Fukuda films exclusive to Hulu. Watch Godzilla vs. Hedorah just to bask in its psychedelic glory. Watch Godzilla's Revenge only out of morbid curiosity.

Edit:

Amazon Prime also has Varan the Unbelievable, another very early Toho kaiju film. But it's boring and lame and doesn't really need to be watched for any reason.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 23, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paper Kaiju posted:

Amazon Prime also has Varan the Unbelievable, another very early Toho kaiju film. But it's boring and lame and doesn't really need to be watched for any reason.

Speaking of giant monsters on Amazon Prime, I was severely disappointed when Amazon Prime had the Daimajin movies but the encoding is unwatchably disastrous. They have a widescreen framed picture encoded at 4:3 so the whole thing is shadowboxed on all sides.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's the one with Jet Jaguar? Is like to see that one again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The cover of "The Fluffy movie" makes me irrationally angry.

Edit: also just found out from that Crystal Skulls special that Netflix uploaded that it's a real thing people believe in after watching the episode of Peep Show last night with them. I seriously thought that was something they made up as a joke for the show.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 23, 2015

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Jack Gladney posted:

What's the one with Jet Jaguar? Is like to see that one again.

Godzilla vs. Megalon.

If you can find a copy, watch the MST3K version.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He jock it made of steel,
Eat sushi from a pail.
Jet Jaguar? Jet Jaguar!
He mother never really loved him.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

NESguerilla posted:

Edit: also just found out from that Crystal Skulls special that Netflix uploaded that it's a real thing people believe in after watching the episode of Peep Show last night with them. I seriously thought that was something they made up as a joke for the show.

I'm watching it now because of your post, but yeah never assume something really dumb in a show or movie isn't based on something a writer discovered one late night and laughed their rear end off about.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I watched In Your Eyes recently and really enjoyed it. It's a sci-fi romance comedy type movie about two people who can see through each other's eyes, plus all the other senses. Not bad, plus it was written by a young Joss Whedon, although you wouldn't pick it if you didn't know beforehand.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

That dude also has a special called "fluffy". Which I would presume is also an hour of the hackiest fat jokes ever conceived.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Such a shame that Millennium isn't on streaming.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Housebound is pretty rad. It's all over the place in a good way. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially anyone who likes Sam Raimi.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Hours was pretty good, and Himmatwala is an absolutely maddening but charming little Bollywood number I quite recommend.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I didn't think it was great, but it was better than I expected. It was still kind of bloodless and charmless, and I didn't understand why Robocop had to look like a 7 foot tall armor robot who could never live a normal life instead of a cyborg with fake skin who could put on equally effective body armor or have it installed under his skin, other than "because it makes the movie work better and is how Robocop is supposed to look". It seemed strange enough that it pulled me out of the movie a little, probably because it was obviously trying to be more grounded and less campy than the original.

Speaking of bloody, I watched Ichi the Killer again last night because a friend had never seen a Miike film, and it's one of those that really makes me wish I had a magic wizard spell that could let me flawlessly understand foreign languages. The subtitles kinda suck and I feel like I'm missing out on some clever wordplay in a funny script, not to mention it further obscuring the already-weird ending.

Oh, re: Miike, is the Japanese version of One Missed Call kind of taking the piss out of the Ringu subgenre of technology-horror films? I haven't seen it in years but I remember it being funny in that way, but sadly it isn't on Netflix. Should I bother watching it again or am I misremembering a bad horror film?

Baku fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 23, 2015

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Robocop 2014 puts out some great ideas that are alternative to the original but are more relevant today that are absolutely worth exploring but I think it didn't stick the landing. With that being said, I absolutely adore the original so I can't have an unbiased opinion of it. Some of the action stuff not counting the terrible ED209 fights are...serviceable.

I have a grandfather with dementia that is quickly becoming more of a problem and an uncle with Alzheimers, so It's Such A Beautiful Day and Nebraska have been really loving important in my understanding of how they now experience the world. With that being said, I find both films are charming as all hell but they hit so close to home that they can absolutely wreck me for days after.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I didn't think it was great, but it was better than I expected. It was still kind of bloodless and charmless, and I didn't understand why Robocop had to look like a 7 foot tall armor robot who could never live a normal life instead of a cyborg with fake skin who could put on equally effective body armor or have it installed under his skin, other than "because it makes the movie work better and is how Robocop is supposed to look". It seemed strange enough that it pulled me out of the movie a little, probably because it was obviously trying to be more grounded and less campy than the original.

It was pretty clearly established that synthetic skin didn't exist.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Skywalker OG posted:

Some of the action stuff not counting the terrible ED209 fights are...serviceable.

I thought these were ok. It did remind me a bit of the mess that was any robot fight in Transformers, but at least I could tell what was happening in Robocop. I also forgot to mention how great Samuel L. Jackson was, and his meltdown at the end got an actual laugh out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Jack Gladney posted:

He jock it made of steel,
Eat sushi from a pail.
Jet Jaguar? Jet Jaguar!
He mother never really loved him.

When Jet Baby flies, she flies up there forever.
When Jet Baby flies, she flies through any weather.
When Jet Baby loves, she loves all of the children.
She never lets them cry as she sails through the sky,
to save us from what fails us and to make us loooooove!

NESguerilla posted:

Housebound is pretty rad. It's all over the place in a good way. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially anyone who likes Sam Raimi.

Pretty much exactly my feelings. Of the two basement-centered horror movies I've watched recently, I still think The Babadook was better, but I really enjoyed Housebound.