Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Choco1980 posted:

Okay the pro core concept people have said enough to convince me that yeah, it's no worse than the old fashioned computational method. That said, they've also assured me how ridiculously delusional anyone is who thinks it's at all simpler than the old method. Note the proponents spending long paragraphs with complex formula to explain simple addition and claiming "see, that's how you do it in your head already!" And everyone taught the old way says "uh, no it's not." Then very briefly and succinctly explains the computational process.

It's not supposed to be simpler. It's supposed to be a possibly more complicated way that allows you to understand how and why it works. For addition it's not such a big deal but by the time you get to long division none of the students have a damned clue of why it's supposed to work besides "that's what teacher told us and it seems to give the right answer."

Unfortunately it's pretty unfamiliar for current teachers so you occasionally get bumbling/confusing explanations for problems inspired by the new standards.

Anyway, content:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Tiggum posted:

4 x 7 + 3 x 8

Well that's a lovely problem anyway because there are no parentheses. If you came from a country where they taught a different order of operations, you could just as well claim that's 320 because

4x(7 + 3)x8 = 4x10x8 = 40x8 = 320.

When in doubt, parentheses.

On the other point: how much work to show for 7x8 = 56 depends on how far along you are. I would hope you wouldn't show the work for that in a calculus class. But if you're working upwards in the times tables and you've been practicing breaking things down by 5s if you can't do it by 10s, you could have

7* 8 = 7*(5 + 3) = 35 + 21 = 56

or

7*8 = (5 + 2)*8 = 40 + 16 = 56

as valid work steps

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Kinsey, that whisky for when you just want to gently caress your neighbor.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

canis minor posted:

on another topic:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
http://i.imgur.com/x3fPZwB.gifv

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Frostwerks posted:

Where is the penis bone.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Paladinus posted:

PewDiePie has a funny accent. If it was a picture, I'd post it in this thread.

I think PewDiePie was the first dumb internet thing I'd heard about first through south park. I'm losing touch.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

stubblyhead posted:

Kind of underwhelming, unfortunately.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/esN5eey.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOZTDP8Ff9w

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Brown Moses posted:

He's gone a bit political

I literally lolled at the fact that from here on out, all Chuck Tingle books will use the phrase "Hugo award nominated author Chuck Tingle."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
100 DeaDly SkillZ!!!!!!! By NaVy SEEL Clint Emerson! http://imgur.com/gallery/kIrZa

Glue tools into your PuBES!!!

Shove a cigar tube with a nail in it up your AZZZ!!!

Be Ronald Reagan AND the Rock!!!!

THEY might be tracking U!!!!

• Locked thread