Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Killer robot posted:

Bacon flavored toothpaste sounds ridiculous, but a while back it occurred to me that brushing your teeth must be awful if you hate mint, since how easy is it finding another flavor?

There's basically always been cinnamon flavored toothpastes for that kind of person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

OK Some Butt Stuff posted:

He only has one?

That's all you need. It's 99.1 percent pure pig rear end in a top hat.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Boy. Chappie looked different in the trailers.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

wayfinder posted:

Condolations

Consolations or Condolences. Not both.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

FadedReality posted:

What's the story on this one?

Cat plant

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

That seems like the exact opposite of basic logic skills and is the sort of thinking that creates 80's point and click adventure games.

Not really, it's the way most people do math mentally they just don't write it down and realize it. If I asked to you add 1127 to 94 you drat sure wouldn't be doing it in your head the way you'd do it on paper. You'd probably just round those numbers to something easy and say, it's about 1220 and call it a day. This is just that method of math, but exact. It really doesn't make much sense with single digit numbers but where the hell else are you going to start if you have to teach little kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

I know I'm only contributing to the derail and pulling an "I'm oooold :corsair: moment, but I was taught the old fashioned way how to do math, and in my head that's exactly how I added those numbers. I saw you asking to add 1127 to 94 and my brain immediately pictured:

+ 94
--------

And I sat and figured it out in at most 5 seconds, and I'm not the fastest math guy in the world by far. something cockamamie like (94 + 6) + (1127-6) or whatever adds more steps to the process and slows you down further, and is not in the least bit how my brain processes math.

You're not adding any steps in the alternate method, the steps you're doing are just different. You had to do poo poo like add each place one by one and carry the ones and poo poo, whereas the other method doesn't require any of that. If you're actually picturing graphical representations of math problems you're wasting time, and if you're trying to be fast about it you're probably loving up more often and worse when you do it than if you were just rounding to the nearest ten and then rectifying from there.

Nerds don't like to think about it, but the methods that we notate and process math problems by are 100% arbitrary. It worked fine when people just picked random rear end letters to represent numbers, it worked fine before they realized 0 was a thing, and it works fine with the common core method, they just aren't what we learned in school so a lot of goony fucks are scared by the change as they always are.

• Locked thread