Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I remember a few years ago hearing a radio ad for some toothpaste and the big selling point for it was that it wasn't mint flavoured. I don't think they even said what flavour it was. I saw it in the supermarket one time, and I had planned to buy some, but it had completely vanished - never to return - by the time I needed more toothpaste. That is the only time I have ever seen non-mint toothpaste.
Crest sells lime-mint, vanilla-mint, and chocolate-mint toothpaste in the States, just right there on the shelf next to all the other toothpaste. I miss the citrus stuff, too, but chocolate-mint is a fair substitute.

There's a Japanese company (natch) that sells slim tubes of toothpaste and single-serve cups of mouthwash in lots of unique flavors, including curry and salt. Over the years, I think I picked up Tsugaru apple (richly flavored), Japanese plum, and dark chocolate toothpaste. They're all right. Lush, at least in the UK, used to sell vanilla-salt and blackcurrant-charcoal toothpastes. They are also just all right, if you don't want or need the fresh breath that's a side effect of brushing your teeth (or if you're scared of fluoride).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

aerion111 posted:

Yeah, see, those are funny, sure.
But I'd be even more impressed if there was any evidence they were proper books, and not just covers, like select parts of the inside (most likely they are just covers, but whatever)
They look like obvious plants (TM) to me.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mezzanine posted:

Top Line: "Easy to drink because it has a cock!"
As in a spigot. :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Nooner posted:

Are you serious how is he the bad guy in this story? Customer is unhappy with product you give him, offers to pay for new one and the bitch flips her poo poo over it? :shrug:
He didn't offer to pay; he demanded a replacement as provided for by his insurance. Except insurance only kicked in for a replacement if the glasses were lost or broken, not because he didn't like them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

"It's massive," he said.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Chard posted:

Tip the mohel 5%, 8% if the service was extra-ordinary
I didn't think they needed any more tips.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The first time I heard "dub dub dub" was in late 2000, in New Zealand. That remains the only place I've ever heard it.

Here, have a different WWW (wicked white wizard) spotted in NZ:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's been a long time since I spoke French with any fluency, but shouldn't that "de" be an "et" there?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Useless posted:

Is that homebrew, or are there really places you can get cheap beer in plastic pop bottle form?
Malt liquor.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That reminds me: the location of the hot and cold taps are completely random in New Zealand, up to whatever the homeowner/contractor/architect/installer decides. There are times a label would be welcome, though they could do without the "hot things are hot" flourish.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm scared to confirm the truth of this.

Where've you been?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

Not clicking NWS links, probably.
Or reading any of the discussion/viewing any of the not-NWS images that ensued, apparently.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Greblin posted:

Also, binbou is the word for poor, so it all wraps up in a nice little pun.
Yeah: it's a "super-cheap" used PC/parts place.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Precise
thwarf
Bravery?
I know they often write D's as eths in Japan to distinguish them from O's or zeroes. Seems to me they could just try being more careful writing their D's, but what do I know?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ugato posted:

gently caress you Google.

Looks like Google parsed that as "funny pictures...NOT!" memes.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

RCarr posted:

So are you purposely not explaining it for attention, or what?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Hahaha, what a sensationalist headline. Sofia is costarring in a TV show with a teenager that's bustier than her and J-Law combined.
Said teenager got breast reduction surgery over the summer to go from a 32 F to a 34 D.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Helith posted:

I don't think you understand how breast / bra sizes work there.
As an owner of breasts in the same country as the teenager in question, I think you're mistaken.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We have an instant hot water tap installed in our kitchen sink that produces 150-degree water on demand. It works great for both coffee (my preferred drink as an American) and tea (my Kiwi husband's favorite).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

flosofl posted:

EDIT: I read as dying = ceasing to live not "applying color". gently caress it, my failed heisen-joke is funny in my head at least.
You're right; otherwise it would be "dyeing". Heisenjoke lives! (Or does it?)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Geez, in Japan they just put a tiny one of these on a wall:

:japan:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Possibly the only thing that would have made that announcement worse would have been no "s" at the end of "presents".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That earlier warning against horseplay really cowed him.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/klaner.asp

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Her remains will be fed to stray dogs.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Lack of it actually saying AM/PM? I don't think I have ever seen a clock like that that didn't, unless its an apple thing.
Some digital clocks only note if it's PM; no marker = AM.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

Standing at Brit Bank or outside the North Western Britain forge selling your wears for hours at a time. Sometimes acting like an NPC can be fun!
This mechanic was part of DQIV, too, when you took on the role of a merchant and had to run your boss's store for a bit, haggling with customers and earning commission. You could buy an especially nice weapon off someone and set it aside to buy for yourself, if you had the patience.

Here's the wily merchant himself:

And here's a thought I just had for the very first time in this thread: That man actually isn't fat enough.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

skander posted:

Right next to the toilet:

Every doctor office I've been in that has need for urine samples also has a little doored portal in the bathroom where a patient can place their sealed fresh urine sample when they're done with it. The other side presumably opens into the testing lab, where a tech can pick up the sample and test it without any awkward patient interaction. Apparently this place has a busted portal.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

hooah posted:

Huh, I don't think I've ever encountered such a portal in my 30 years in the upper-mid-west.
I've got going on forty years in the same region. Ever gone to an OB/GYN? Those places are all piss tests, all the time. Otherwise, you might very well not see one if you don't usually need to use doctor-office bathrooms.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

nerd plus rage posted:

I shot a funny picture of my own!

I have those! I got them a million years ago and actually kept them because of the bad Chinglish.

That's my picture from 1996. :unsmith: The original JPEG had bad headers, too; I had to fix them. What I won't do for this thread.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Quit vamping and get on with it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shabani the gorilla was really a thing in Japan for a while.

Born in the Netherlands, raised in Australia, now making Japanese women's hearts go snicker-snack pitter-pat.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Robot Lincoln posted:

Finally a solution for those clouds of flies that follow me everywhere...
The solution to that is to take a shower for once.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Doesn't that go without saying? I don't think Judaism accepts equines into the faith.
Of course, and no matter what they say, gelding =/= circumcision.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Regressing to an infantile state seems a very reasonable response to living in a place where everything is trying to kill you.

eta: This doesn't explain why NZ has the same slang. I think they've gone the other way: the country is so safe that Kiwis never had to grow up. :downs:

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 13:47 on Apr 7, 2016

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Why does the men's version cost precisely one dollar more? :raise:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bunky posted:

Why do they have so many goddamn hvac units and water heaters?
One water heater for every closet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

What about it?

• Locked thread