Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Killer robot posted:

Bacon flavored toothpaste sounds ridiculous, but a while back it occurred to me that brushing your teeth must be awful if you hate mint, since how easy is it finding another flavor?

Modern Day Hercules posted:

There's basically always been cinnamon flavored toothpastes for that kind of person.

This is me, except Cinnamon is too spicy to enjoy. Crest had a citrus flavored toothpaste for adults back in the early-to-mid-thousands that was the best. Now it's gone forever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

I can't speak for the rest of Canada (though Vancouver is pretty awesome); but Edmonton is indeed a dump, but Calgary is the Eagleton to our Pawnee and therefore the worst. :canada:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Evilreaver posted:

You'd just end up with two vegetables down there!

:drat:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
You mean Kronk

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
It's going backwards and forwards. Like a paint mixer.

But instead of paint it's humans.

Melding together into a flesh-blood-bone soup.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Cracked_Gear posted:

it wouldn't be a Bethesda game without hilarious bugs. i bet Fallout 4 is going to be magical in that regard

I dunno, this seems about right considering my experience from going to school. :v:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

I thought this was a normal 1950's depiction of being a house wife. Then I noticed the iMac.

Dear god that brief period in the 90's was magical.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Man, it seems to be way worse than it used to be. I remember I used to never be able to beat it, but it just went 0/5 with a bunch of pretty famous 70s singers. There's all these questions about youtubers and poo poo, and it thinks Stevie Nicks is Fat Amy (Pitch Perfect).

Weird, because I was trying Paul Westerberg and it got it in about 50 questions.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Markoff Chaney posted:

You could, just make it slow and wide to preserve the noodle integrity. Like a 5" wide PVC pipe column that pumps the spaghetti out centered in an upturned metal garbage can lid. The pump motor also powers a tiny speaker that plays The Cure on endless repeat.

Is this from Achewood, because it sounds like Achewood.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Franchescanado posted:

I'm only 25 and grew up watching All In The Family, Emergency!, Dragnet, The Munsters, and all those other sitcoms because of Nickelodeon's "Nick at Nite" block and TV Land.

And because of Netflix alone, Freaks and Geeks, Twin Peaks and X-Files are some of my favorites. I think it just depends on the person and what they like?

I also think that reference-dense shows like Family Guy open up younger generations to older shows just due to osmosis and familiarity.

This is pretty much right on the money. This was happening back in the 90's with reference rich shows, like Animaniacs or the Simpsons. Some kids would watch these shows and see a bunch of references to some "old" movies, like the Breakfast Club or Star Wars. These kids would maybe ask parents, friends, or older siblings about these references, because the joke flew over their head. Then their parents, friends, or older siblings would talk about how good these older films were. When these kids had an opportunity to see these things, they would go see them because their interest was already piqued.

Now at days kids have more opportunities to see older media, and have much more resources to hear people talk about them. Their favorite YouTuber may laugh about a Indiana Jones joke while doing a Lets Play, or do a rant against the new Ghostbusters while waxing poetic about the old one.

It mostly depends on whether the kid is good at listening to the background radiation and can connect the dots of which media falls into the "popular classic" realm.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

oldpainless posted:

What subjects are ok to make jokes about and which are not?

Rich people, politicians, cops.

Basically "punching up" rather than "punching down".

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

What's bonkers is that 20 years later all that technology is used by adults to catch pokemans megacorps to track and spy on street samurai

:cool: :tinfoil: :nsa:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

They probably didn't care about someone announcing that they're going to do a fan remake because like 99% of those go nowhere. There's not really a good reason to mail out a letter for something that most likely won't happen.

Plus with US copyright law, Nintendo definitely has to preform some form of action to protect their brands and IP. So in the best (but unlikely scenario) Nintendo wants to support it's fanbase and has to pretend that they didn't see the project, and then act when their hand is forced by their lawyers. Meanwhile in the worst (but also unlikely scenario) Nintendo hates their fans, and deliberately waited until it was out in order to make people feel the worst.

The most likely scenario is that Nintendo has expensive lawyers who they would rather pull out when there is a legitimate brand-damaging infringement, and so they didn't do anything until it got to the point where AM2R could be used as an example in a court of law.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

mirthdefect posted:

That's trademarks you're thinking of there, which you can lose if you don't defend it as it can be considered abandonment of the trademark.

Whoops, my bad. Thanks for the correction.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Ok Fella posted:

Making rules and laws is all fine and good but expecting everyone to abide by them just because they exist is pretty silly.

If you don't explicitly condemn certain socially unacceptable behaviours, then you are implicitly condoning them. If there isn't a rule against it, then there's nothing to stop creeps from being lovely people*.

*aside from 'common sense' and 'understanding social cues and norms'; both of which creepy nerds are very much lacking.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

canyoneer posted:

That's a good idea for a username

Mods please change my name TIA

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Picnic Princess posted:

No way those guys speak French there bud

Probably think that those fransypants piss-swilling francophone bastards act different just to piss off regular canadians.

Don't think much 'bout people from toronto either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Not everybody wears their shoes indoors.

Like, for example, where people aren't animals who track dirt everywhere they live in.

• Locked thread