Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The unexpected juxtaposition of crude language with a small animal produces feelings of surprise. Our primitive human brains register this as a humorous incongruity. Fortunately like all humor it is easily codified and therefore we must spend another ten thousand pages talking about how things aren't funny or are the wrong kind of funny instead of posting funny comics and just dealing with the fact that maybe something is funny to someone else but not to you.

Here is a comic about a clown being arrested. The humor lies in the fact that he is not arrested for dressing like an infamous serial killer but rather for dressing like a normal entertainmer. This is humorous because the expected result would be the opposite but general popularity in mass media has made the serial killer more acceptable to emulate than the entertainer. This is an illogical result and thus can provide feelings of humor and amusement when the inconsistency is recognized.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Mentalizer posted:

Call me crazy, but I don't think the person who made that has spent a lot of time around women.

I'm sure they have but more in a 'hiding in the bushes' kind of way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://buddhistreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/monk-and-scorpion.html

Apparently there are just different versions of the same parable so...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

this thread's sense of humour and imagination is so narrowed down and warped that only one comic can encapsulate the "funny comic", RIP a magical world of beauty and creativity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why would you do this? Why

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

It was easier to excuse penny arcade when it was a boring lazy video game news of the week comic before they went all try hard and still sucked poo poo.

It's particularly funny because it becomes increasingly clear they don't really play video games much anymore and have aged out of enjoying them on the same level they used to and now they have no idea what to write about beyond occasional Destiny comics or comics complaining about kids these days liking games they don't. But they're not actually willing to stop writing their gaming webcomic which is somehow sadder than just realizing they've outgrown a hobby they used to enjoy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

What's this dickwolf stuff?

Long story short:
They made a rape joke.
Someone said they were offended by the rapejoke.
Instead of ignoring it or giving a canned apology they got super-duper defensive and made really stupid responses and it ballooned on both sides because it went from 'it was a lovely joke' to them trying to rally people to the side of team rapejoke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

I'm a bit surprised to see someone take this perspective. If there's nothing really wrong with the comic in the first place, why is a non-apology like that something that he's (morally?) obligated to give?

I mean, maybe that would be the cynically pragmatic response, but it hardly seems like it's desirable on principle.

I don't think anyone is saying that is the morally/ethnically/whatever right move. They're saying that they could have avoided the problems they faced if they did that, which is true. If they'd managed to let it drop gracefully than only a small handful of people would have really cared that the comic that regularly makes rape jokes made another rape joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Wow, VGCats, I remember that. It just sort of di... it's STILL UPDATING?!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Here is a fun idea:

If you dislike a comic then post a funny comic in response. That way people can complain about your funny comic and in turn must post a funny comic of their own. So we get both more complaining and more funny comics, the two things this thread loves most!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

:colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I actually like the ending of that one. :unsmith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rear end in a top hat Pooh is the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If only women would see me open the door for them and treat it as an exceptional act of kindness and then sleep with me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quote:

Ha ha, it's funny because two out of those three things are still relevant.

... :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Not feeding your dog doesn't mean that you're immature, it means that you're the worst

Does he post comics somewhere besides the main website? I don't remember seeing this one before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krowley posted:

Yes, Bill Watterson, what a talentless hackfraud

They mean Cyanide and Happiness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serious question. Are the Owl comics something collected on a website or in a book or something? People just seem to post them randomly and I'm not clear what, if anything, they're from.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krinkle posted:

You can't overthink this one.

Don't challenge people in this goddamn thread!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish this panel could be the title of the subforum.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

That lady hosed Santa.

Well, yeah. Haven't you ever heard the song? "I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A comic where the final panel has no text and would be the same if you cut the final panel out.

My god, coming for the cartoonists created the ideal comic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Wolverine wasn't Jewish. And he also wasn't a Wolverine as a baby.

Excuse me I believe you'll find that canonically Wolverine's bone claws were always part of him they were merely ENHANCED by his adamanitum skeletal bonding!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MM&O are nothing like my friends but I find their insanity interesting.

• Locked thread