Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Strudel Man posted:

I'm a bit surprised to see someone take this perspective. If there's nothing really wrong with the comic in the first place, why is a non-apology like that something that he's (morally?) obligated to give?

I mean, maybe that would be the cynically pragmatic response, but it hardly seems like it's desirable on principle.

There's nothing really wrong with the comic, which is why it got hardly any criticism except for one post on one feminist blog that pointed out, in extremely mild terms, that rape jokes can be hurtful and artists should think twice before making them. No one asked for an apology for the comic.

Gabe saw this and went nuclear on twitter, and then posted the whiny response comic, threw twitter tantrums some more, riled up his fan base to harass the blogger, and on and on and on. That's what people think he should have apologized for, since "not doing it in the first place" is apparently impossible because of how he got bullied in elementary school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think his main problem was the source of the complaints. Penny Arcade had a long proud history of telling critics to gently caress off. When Jack Thompson, or a greeting card company tries to shut them down, we all enjoy an angry rant telling them to gently caress off. Child's Play was basically started just to spite a reporter who wrote an article about videogame violence. When it's a bunch of rape victims it's not so funny. He spent years refusing to back down an inch and it finally came back to bit him.

You can't really blame Gabe for the community response. Gamergate types don't need to be riled up to start harassing women.

Yeah that's a great point. It's all part of that nerd tribalism where the whole world's out to get them and anyone criticizing them is a bully.

Here's a Penny Arcade I actually think is funny. It's greatly improved if you read Superman's dialogue in Patrick Warburton's voice.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You guys would probably enjoy Our Valued Customers, which is mostly little one-panel caricatures about comic shop That Guys based on stories readers send in.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This one's my favorite. I like how emphatic Kate is while she's stabbing that guy, and how upset he looks about it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Longshot but does anybody have the comics where somebody edited creepy Bezinski-esque illustrations of giants and ghosts creeping on humans and peering into their houses and stuff to add text of them talking in kind of a low-key weird twitter way?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yes, you're amazing, thank you

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

hard counter posted:

It's like the worst thing I've seen in this thread and I fully expect that some people are posting it ironically because it gets a reaction.

I'm with you, and I wish someone would just create a Horribly Depressing Comics thread to post them in instead of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Paladinus posted:

You joke, but he's clearly lost vision in one eye. In one of the comics, he injects drugs directly into his retina, so that's probably the reason.

See that isn't funny, it's just horrible. It doesn't belong in the funny comics thread. Go start another thread for the miserable drug-addict child-rape comic.

• Locked thread