Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octave
Jan 9, 2008
Edit: This game is still a thing.

Inimicul said that some videos of a super annoying youtuber explains the game well in it's currentish form.

Inimicul posted:

These two videos deserve to be in the OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fGeG1bzhqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ7jJV7VSH4

Project Gorgon is a skill-based, open world PVE MMO currently in alpha. The Kickstarter failed miserably because it's seemingly made by one guy with a really droney voice and no marketing skills at all.

You can play it right now for free: http://projectgorgon.com/game/play-now.

This guy doesn't seem to like money as there's no cash shop or any way to pay at all.

Why do I care about this ugly game?

It has everything an old mmo neckbeard can want:
  • No lovely tutorial
  • No themeparks or npcs with questionmarks over their head.
  • Group content from the start that's not instanced.
  • Diablo-like random loot system where an upgrade is meaningful and not just a 1% stat increase.
  • A sort of FFXI multiclass system: pick any two combat skill bars at a time.
  • That stuff that makes it a world: vendors resell player loot, jumping in water puts out fires, drop items on the ground and they actually stay there.
  • Crafting is actually useful.
  • Dungeon Puzzles - because I guess some people like puzzles.
  • Some other stuff that's just weird: progammable golem pets with if-then conditionals, using a shovel to bury corpses, calligraphy, cow form with cow armor and abilities.

Skills

The skills are too many to name.

Basically, anything you do has a skill attached to it. Eating food, art appreciation, arachnid anatomy, even dying - all skills provide bonuses to each other in weird ways.

Here's the list: http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Skills

Death

Dying is based on what you died to.

If you die to a boss, you can have 'a fate worse than death' which depends on the boss and can be all kinds of weird punishments. The tutorial boss turns you into a cow when you die to it.

Dying to normal stuff adds strange random statuses like turning all male characters into female characters.

Is it playable?

It's incredibly complete and relatively balanced for how big the feature set is and the fact that it's totally alpha ugly built by one guy in his basement.

There seems to be a lot more content than I would have ever imagined. I played about a week without feeling like I'm bored which is super rare for me.

The combat skills are all pretty viable - you'll probably start with a sword but pick up a bow and work on archery, or learn fire magic, or animal handling or whatever you want. I hear mentalism and fire magic are overpowered now? I don't know.

Videos

I think this is narrated by the guy making the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZjEQJ83zu0
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlXzfHCX3Qo

Edit:
Game's still fun. And the dev is super active. I think he puts out a patch a week with some significant changes.

Jackard ( I think? ) made a snazzy in-game-player list with skills they have so they can help you craft arrows or things like that:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wAAImwbD1J0gwnwnDxR6FASnJzM9ghDdkNO3IsA372c/edit#gid=0

Lewtt made an :effort: post I like:

lewtt posted:

Some of the more obscure poo poo:

Level up in surviving food poisoning!

Die to scary monsters!

Study skulls of elves/fairies/goblins to figure out why they are so hosed up!

Kill stuff until you are dead inside!

Treasure cartography is actually pretty interesting!
http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Treasure_Cartography

Become a wandering Psychologist and mez monsters by making them analyze their own baggage!

Interesting characters with quality dialogue!

Die so much you go insane!

Yes, you can fly without druid. Level up lore and use them words of power.

Octave fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Its 2am and I'm supposed to be asleep but this intrigued me enough to download it and start playing.

I know it's early in development, but this looks like some mockup MMO a TV show would do when they show an MMO.

But I love how in the first hour I've levelled up Gourmet and Mycology skills, milked a player controlled cow, and gotten a pork shoulder from killing a wolf.

This seems like one of these games I'll play just to see more of it.

Edit:

:aaa:
vvvvvvvvv

A Jupiter fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 16, 2015

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

I am running around in a cave, befriending rats and kicking everything to death because I am an intelligent cow. I have a feeling this will probably be frustrating later but for now I'm having a lot of fun.

EDIT:

A Jupiter posted:

Its 2am and I'm supposed to be asleep but this intrigued me enough to download it and start playing.

I know it's early in development, but this looks like some mockup MMO a TV show would do when they show an MMO.

But I love how in the first hour I've levelled up Gourmet and Mycology skills, milked a player controlled cow, and gotten a pork shoulder from killing a wolf.

This seems like one of these games I'll play just to see more of it.
It's you! You milked me!

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 4, 2020

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
haha wtf

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
this is how far everything has fallen when this is quoted by something awful forums poster Extra as a good game

we are truly in the post apocalyptic wasteland of videogames

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

This game is unironically more fun than more than half of the MMOs on the market right now.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 4, 2020

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Maybe it's playing as a big red mutant man running around a cave but it reminds me of demon souls.

Also the game really wants you to know if you go somewhere that you will die holy poo poo.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Eonwe posted:

haha wtf

I logged in and ate some porridge.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
It's like if Minions of Mirth was based on WoW and not Everquest.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Play this for about 2 hours last night with a friend cow

It's impressive if this was made entirely by one guy in his basement for free, but at the same time that's probably the reason why there are so many problems.

It definitely feels like he is going for a late 90's era MMO (EQ1, UO, etc..) where there is no hand-holding telling you where to go next, and there are a lot of ways to get murdered in the world. So like the poster above me said, it does sort of have a feeling of demons souls in that regard, where exploring the world is dangerous and fun (ignoring the lack of collision on many objects or the bad farclip distance), and where figuring out where to go next is part of the enjoyment, I guess.

Makes you wonder how financially well a properly budgeted MMO infused with these types of elements (with a focus on exploration and mystery/discovery, a lot of danger in the world, and a wide character progression) would do in today's market.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I downloaded this overnight and tried it just now. Vooosh, 2 hours gone - it's surprisingly fun. Whether that will last particularly long remains to be seen but at least it doesn't hit you over the head constantly to buy lock boxes or special offers. The EQ feeling is close but without the annoying realism like encumbrance or silly stacking rules. The 'pay attention or die' bit is there though. I wandered off from the way out of the starter cave and got blasted to bits by a trio of skeletons. Up till then I'd only met things you can kill by coughing on and that didn't help each other (I believe I'm a dragon assassin in disguise, love the death quirks). Back to the EQ mindset, click on them and compare stats before going too close.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For some reason the zip files has a bunch of files with the same name as the folders, and it won't extract. Good poo poo.

That said I played this when it was brand new and it was pretty interesting.

edit: I tried 7zip and it magically worked with that. I don't know why my three other file archivers did that.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 17, 2015

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I can't believe how much fun I had with this awful game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
now you are making me want to play it

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Eonwe posted:

now you are making me want to play it

You can be transformed into one of 5 different animals (cow, pig, spider, werewolf, I forget the last one) which each have their own 50-level progression path of combat ability and armor. Cows can be milked by other players and eventually learn how to milk themselves.
You can learn the art of necromancy, which levels up only through the act of dying in new situations (might only mean different mob types, haven't tested extensively).
You can mix and match any combination of two combat skill trees to make any class archetype you want

It's all horrendously ugly and has a fair bit of bugs, plus a ridiculous grind for certain things (want to talk to merchants? go gather 20 apples, of which only one spawns randomly during a 20min-1hr window in 3 different locations!) but it's fun as hell to run around befriending rats and becoming the Cow Necromancer God-King of Ratkind for a few hours.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Syndlig posted:

(want to talk to merchants? go gather 20 apples, of which only one spawns randomly during a 20min-1hr window in 3 different locations!)

:whitewater:

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

It's only if you're an animal. That doesn't remotely excuse it, though, it's loving awful.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Well, if a game will let me combine animals and necromancy into some kind of strange super-summoner, I guess I have to at least download it.

But man, is this launcher slow.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

At least it's free.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a lot of fun being a Fire Mage that uses psychology to hurt people's brains. Out of all the combat skills I've tried so far, battle chemistry and unarmed are probably the most fail. battle chemistry does a ton of damage but it takes a ton of ingredients.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Unarmed gets really good with certain gear modifiers, I've found.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

I've been playing the most suffering-filled class imaginable: Battle Chemisty / Necromancy.

It's awful, but I'm never going to give up on "programmable golems" even if I can only have one ability in them now.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm gonna kill a pig.

quote:

You earned 6 XP and reached level 1 in Non-Ruminant Ungulate Anatomy!

Oh, well, that's good.

Thank god, an epic necklace for my pig tanking set. So now I can tank some dungeons in pig spec.

On the other hand, that +Snails damage is hard to beat.

Pig spec it is, then.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
This game is MMO Skyrim for mental patients but with diablo for mental patients' loot.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There is a word game that is constantly running and your points in it contribute to your Vocabulary experience. This will eventually be an important step in becoming a bard but at the moment has no use whatsoever.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

This game is MMO Skyrim for mental patients but with diablo for mental patients' loot.

alright this is making me download it

gently caress you

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

30.5 Days posted:

On the other hand, that +Snails damage is hard to beat.

I unironically want these so hardcore. +30 damage to snails is rather niche but really powerful since there is a dungeon full of snails.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
This is like pantheon if brad everquest was into hallucinogens instead of pills.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

This is like pantheon if brad everquest was into hallucinogens instead of pills.

i want to see what brad could make with a 100 mil and unlimited drugs

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If you talk to the stablemaster as a pig, he tells you that while he is willing to house your pets, provided that they cannot talk, he does not trust talking animals and you'd better not try to sneak into the stable pretending to be someone else's pet because he knows what you look like now and he'll recognize you.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Ok fine, I'll try it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

30.5 Days posted:

If you talk to the stablemaster as a pig, he tells you that while he is willing to house your pets, provided that they cannot talk, he does not trust talking animals and you'd better not try to sneak into the stable pretending to be someone else's pet because he knows what you look like now and he'll recognize you.
Can you sneak into the stable pretending to be a pet if you avoid talking to him?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Welp downloading another mmo

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Eonwe posted:

i want to see what brad could make with a 100 mil and unlimited drugs

An overdose.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

boho posted:

An overdose.

I'm glad of it

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I believe the creator had something to do with making Asheron's Call. If you imagine an Asheron's Call developer got super bitter about having to move back into his mom's basement after AC2 failed, and then proceeded to huff paint for a few years before getting an adderal prescription and starting this project to implement all of his ideas Turbine turned down back in the day you'll get an idea of what this game is trying to accomplish.

What I am saying is it's a pretty awesome game.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 21, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is unironically a lot of fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

30.5 Days posted:

lol what?