Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Starting with character creation the elf description states that they are sex addicts.

Later I learned from an NPC that the elf kingdom city was blown up a few years ago, no one knows why, but it was probably elves were summoning demons to make their dicks grow bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Internetjack posted:

Starting with character creation the elf description states that they are sex addicts.

Later I learned from an NPC that the elf kingdom city was blown up a few years ago, no one knows why, but it was probably elves were summoning demons to make their dicks grow bigger.

same

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The gently caress? Cow armor? Oh I am so playing this thing, downloading as we speak, I'll be in as Dreadwroth.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Tell me more about weird death punishments. Are they permanent? Can you become an armored cow forever?

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Jackard posted:

Tell me more about weird death punishments. Are they permanent? Can you become an armored cow forever?

Yes and no. It's a permanent curse which you can remove by either doing a grindy quest or killing the boss that cursed you, but you don't ever actually have to do it. So you can be an armored cow forever.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Are there guilds in this? I don't like soloing MMOs

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

The best part of this game is that you get a whole other set of abilities in your hotbar for "cow."

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The worst part is that you can't use abilities that require an open hand, so you can't be a kung fu cow.

EDIT: You can be a psychologist cow, a mentalist cow, a beastmaster cow, a necromancer cow, and a cow cow.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jackard posted:

Are there guilds in this? I don't like soloing MMOs

Hehe, you're the anti-me, I hate people in MMOs (yes I know that is not logical).

30.5 Days posted:

The worst part is that you can't use abilities that require an open hand, so you can't be a kung fu cow.

EDIT: You can be a psychologist cow, a mentalist cow, a beastmaster cow, a necromancer cow, and a cow cow.

Semi realistic cow simulation ;)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Hehe, you're the anti-me, I hate people in MMOs (yes I know that is not logical).
Yea.. without other people MMOs are just shittier RPGs, you might as well play something decent like the Witchers

Jackard fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 21, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The Witchers sounds like the name of a pretty good MMO.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

30.5 Days posted:

No kung fu cows? loving dropped.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, but psychology cow makes up for it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Seems useful

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So what are people doin at this point. I'm splitting my time between leveling random tradeskills, wandering the zone with no plan, and clearing spiders from a single hallway in the crypt.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
This amazing thread has convinced me that I need to give this game a try. Where/how can I become a giant spider by dying, and does that dumb apple quest also allow spiders to talk to merchants or does it only work for farm animals? :spiderguy:

EDIT: The wiki is full of holes, but I found what I needed. Looks like you can just buy the spider curse from an NPC, which is neat. How hard are moonstones to get? Apparently that's how spiders do their shopping.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 21, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So a couple notes:

- The second zone is not significantly more dangerous and there's a lot of stuff that's less dangerous than the worst stuff in the first zone. So maybe head over there, give it a try if you want more stuff to murder.
- Two-syllable words of power are incredibly easy to craft and just so much fun. You need salt, water, and crab, which can be found on the banks around the keep. And all the researched stuff can be a nice little buff, free teleport, or something ridiculous.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jackard posted:

Yea.. without other people MMOs are just shittier RPGs, you might as well play something decent like the Witchers

On the contrary, most have plenty of story and the older ones positively drown in lore to get into. Spoiled by the swarms of folk rushing from '!' to '?' as fast as possible and in as few clicks as possible. People ruin MMOs, a few good people can make them a lot more fun sure but good luck stumbling across them. Hopefully Gorgon stays quirky enough to keep the maddening crowds at bay.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Spoiled by the swarms of folk rushing from '!' to '?' as fast as possible and in as few clicks as possible. People ruin MMOs, a few good people can make them a lot more fun sure but good luck stumbling across them.
Well yea, if your only interaction with other players is having them run past you..?

Noticed this game has a friendslist and partying, but can't seem to find anything about guilds.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 22, 2015

gnomers
Nov 14, 2004
I was intrigued so I tried it out. Played for around an hour and it is fun. In as wasubi.

We should pester the creator for guilds.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

- The second zone is not significantly more dangerous and there's a lot of stuff that's less dangerous than the worst stuff in the first zone. So maybe head over there, give it a try if you want more stuff to murder.
I mistakenly paid 200g to a boatman near the edge of the map to take me somewhere called Sun Vale

Just wanted to give people a heads up because that is NOT a friendly place for newbies

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jackard posted:

Seems useful

This seems like a great way for the developer to go off on crazy tangents and maybe leave hidden clues to some cool content.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

gnomers posted:

I was intrigued so I tried it out. Played for around an hour and it is fun. In as wasubi. We should pester the creator for guilds.
Apparently this wont let you add contacts without meeting them in person, so yea definitely

Metaligatr
Mar 10, 2013

Khajit was up all night to get lucky.
This MMO sounds amazing for all the worst (best) reasons, I'm gonna to give it a go. I wish more games told you what is or isn't junk, I hate holding onto some rare-sounding loot I found for ten levels only to look it up and realize it's completely worthless.

Also I haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread but I thought this might be useful for people like me who don't want to install random poo poo on their main drive because they have a ssd/they have a special drive for games/just because gently caress you that's why:

quote:

We don't have an installer yet, so it just automatically uses the default path right now. You can change it though, by adding a parameter to the launcher:

- Create a new directory on your D drive (or wherever). It's important that it be am empty directory, because the launcher will delete files in there if they don't seem like they're part of the game!
- Find the launcher and right click it, choose Create Shortcut
- Right click the short cut and choose Properties. On the "Target" line, add this to the end:
-saveto "D:\wherever\you\want"

So it will look something like
C:\downloads\ProjectGorgon.exe -saveto "D:\games\gorgon"

And from then on, start the game by double clicking that shortcut, instead of double clicking the game executable itself.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

This is a good game and you should play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHwof5z6QRY

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Strotski posted:

This is a good game and you should play it.
MMOHMO.avi

Server just went down for an update

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Not mentioned in the OP but worth bringing up for new starts like myself: Hanging out. One of the options when talking to NPCs is to 'Hang out' with them when your character logs off. I picked the longer option with the spoon lady NPC in the starter cave yesterday and when I logged in again today she taught me 5 unarmed combat skills. I chose the appetizing sounding 'Hang out to check each other for lice' option before the downtime. So in summary, pick a hang out option with an NPC and get favour plus something for being logged out.

This bloke has made a list of hangout options and rewards but it's far from complete.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I managed to befriend the bank guy since his longer option supposedly gives you money, but it looks like the server is still down so I can't hop on and confirm. (The bank guy has no quests, so your only sane option is to basically grind for things you can sell to buy expensive player-made foods that were sold to the dude in the inn. Some of those level 30 and 35 foods gave huge chunks of friendship points.)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Not mentioned in the OP but worth bringing up for new starts like myself: Hanging out. One of the options when talking to NPCs is to 'Hang out' with them when your character logs off. I picked the longer option with the spoon lady NPC in the starter cave yesterday and when I logged in again today she taught me 5 unarmed combat skills. I chose the appetizing sounding 'Hang out to check each other for lice' option before the downtime. So in summary, pick a hang out option with an NPC and get favour plus something for being logged out.
Thanks, this should help me level fire magic without paying through the nose for it. Its supposedly an advanced skill but gently caress that.

IGN Najaran.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Launcher keeps freezing up on me - is that from the server being down or something else?

(its different each time)

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The server's not down, a friend of mine is currently in game. However, I'm still getting access denied messages so who even knows what's going on.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

According to the forum you have to redownload the launcher, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

http://projectgorgon.com/forum/support/297-can-t-log-in-since-update

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
That's me in the reply, redownloading is doing nothing for me. Is there an extra step to uninstalling the game besides just deleting the folder and launcher that came in the .zip?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

mushroom_spore posted:

That's me in the reply, redownloading is doing nothing for me. Is there an extra step to uninstalling the game besides just deleting the folder and launcher that came in the .zip?

Check AppData -> Local -> Project Gorgon.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The server just got restarted, probably a hotdog or something. I think I love this hanky rear end game, I love kicking chickens to death it's pretty good. Could use more races, maybe undead or rock people or something. In as Dreadwroth, unsurprisingly.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Not bad so far, there's a lot of creativity.

Reminds me of the old multiplayer mods for neverwinter nights.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pesterchum posted:

Check AppData -> Local -> Project Gorgon.

Managed to find AppData -> Local by enabling viewing hidden folders, but there's nothing in there aside from Microsoft and Temp (which is empty). I'm on Windows 7 x64, if that matters.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind, I just tried it again and the game works. Maybe whatever they rebooted on their end fixed it. :buddy:

Also the banker's hanging out reward has been cut from 800 to 400, but that's still pretty respectable as a perpetually poor newbie.

Another edit: Is that quest where you can talk to merchants as an animal by finding apples still in the game? I have a few and I'm wondering if I should hang on to them.

Son of the edit: There it is, only works for the food merchant at the inn but it sounds like it's still there. Looks like the banker also has a quest.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 23, 2015

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I love the flavor text for this game, it's pretty creative and funny. I think the devs are coming close to making a MMO that is basically a parody of MMOs but still crazy detailed. Or something, it really feels like some kind of subtle joke or something, and I like it.
PS: What the gently caress is up with those bloody huge stone hands?
PPS: I totally rolled a Rakshasa, elves can suck it.
PPSS: Where the gently caress are the dwarves at?