Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
yo octave you bought my first auction yay!

This game is awesome, it's a shame it doesn't have a team behind it. And I would pay dollars for bag/bank space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Strotski posted:

BRYKDIY / TRALPRAO / SOZPRYO - Instant Death (Causes speaker to die instantly, gaining 500xp to Death first time used)
Used the first, after the second and third were already gone. So.. they're all gone.
Also this was gone:
DWALLYQ - Teleport to Etibule Keep
and I used:
TRYBTRIU - Increased Inventory (Increases inventory size by 10 for 1 hour)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
From what I've seen you cannot share words of power through whispers, but you might be able to in the friendslist quote or the LFG message at the bottom of the Persona window. Still needs testing

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Instant Death - FADYUB

edit: just tell someone FAD YUB, and they can remove the space when they say it man. Easy to share.

LotionMan
Nov 1, 2004
Shut up, or I'll give you a nasty rash !

Strotski posted:

BRYXMAY Cure Bovinity (Causes you to stop being a cow)

used this , thanks

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

glug posted:

Instant Death - FADYUB

edit: just tell someone FAD YUB, and they can remove the space when they say it man. Easy to share.

Used, thanks! Dying level 7 now.

Where do you find these words?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I don't remember where you find the word of power recipe, but you need crab meat, salt and water for it

Tasty crabs can be found in the moat around the starter town or any body of water... Use tab targeting to find them easier

Crab meat recipe is bought off innkeeper for 250g

Water bottles are bought off gardener for 100g and can be refilled at well or any body of water

glug posted:

Instant Death - FADYUB

Didn't consider that... works for telling friends word of power, but mainly I wanted to lure unsuspecting global chatters into INSTANT DEATH and the space seems impractical for that

Jackard fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 27, 2015

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
In this as LatinaPrincess; and despite how janky everything about it is, the game is fairly good if seemingly intensely grindy. Any tips from people who have been playing a bit longer would be appreciated, too.

wtsnaename fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 27, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Um, don't be an animal before you know what's going on, makes everything grindier and harder

Do favors (quests) for vendors to build rep before giving them gifts for rep.

Rep (favor) unlocks skills/recipes/items for sale and offline hangout activities, also gives more money for selling loot

Anything you interested in particularly?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 27, 2015

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

glug posted:

This game is awesome, it's a shame it doesn't have a team behind it. And I would pay dollars for bag/bank space.

I'll second that feeling, you need so many things. Raw materials then various stages of produce, favour items and so on. One other thing that's annoying for beginners is the skill system for things like foraging in a multi user environment. You can only forage oak (or fish crabs with fishing) and the nodes can randomly contain any one of the first 3 or 4 steps of the ladder so to speak. So if you go round and sweep up the oak, chances are the respawn will not be oak and you'll gradually have less and less to collect in order to level up. I was 2 points of foraging from being able to get grapes yesterday but almost all the nodes were grapes - so drat frustrating.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I don't see too big an issue. My second highest skill is foraging. If you decide you wanna raise it while you're out hunting pigs or whatever, you can find nodes. Bind a key to 'next non combat target' or something, so you can hit that key and find grapes, flowers, etc. It eventually picks up.. and once you can hit the next tier of things, you're set. There's an area in the second zone near the bridge full of cows that has lots of cotton for high gather xp, etc.

Fletching is miserable though.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Foraging can be raised to 10 in less than 30 minutes really. Buy a handsaw from Theresa near the garden, go North / North West out of town near the edge of the map and just pickup every piece of Oak wood. There is a very easy loop you can follow. Blue flowers are able to be picked up before Grapes.

Today I'm going to go pick up Staff skill, hopefully. I expect to be underleveled and have problems doing the favors.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

Um, don't be an animal before you know what's going on, makes everything grindier and harder

If you DO want to be an animal, though, this may help. http://projectgorgon.com/forum/general-gorgon-discussion/301-animal-skill-restrictions-and-animal-friendly-merchants-upd-feb-2015

The most important thing is to absolutely not do it until you have 5 ancient bronze coins and 20 apples. You can still sell all loot, but you'll have to do some walking to the mushroom cave and Sun Vale for certain types. (Binding your teleport circle in Sun Vale will save you 200 gold per trip, and will drop you right by the fairy NPCs and the portal to Serbule, which will drop you close to the mantis NPC/mushroom teleports/portal to Eltibule.)

Anyway, I'm a pig now. :buddy: So far it's fun, got a few skill levels and now I can spawn gatherable mushrooms at will and finally equip this pig gear I found.

EDIT: Also, regarding skills, with the way having some skills requires so much work in OTHER skills, I feel like the game really needs to get the drat trade interface working. It's a good system if you want to encourage an active player market, but right now we can't...really market with each other. If you want wood chips for cooking, you pretty much have to level a whole new skill yourself.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 27, 2015

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
Is there a place to go to get level 20ish gear for skills? Or enemies that drop them? Everything I see for sale is in the 30-40 range but it doesn't feel like I can take on much in the way of difficult enemies because all of my gear is bottom tier.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

onesixtwo posted:

Foraging can be raised to 10 in less than 30 minutes really. Buy a handsaw from Theresa near the garden, go North / North West out of town near the edge of the map and just pickup every piece of Oak wood. There is a very easy loop you can follow. Blue flowers are able to be picked up before Grapes.

Today I'm going to go pick up Staff skill, hopefully. I expect to be underleveled and have problems doing the favors.

If they happen to be logs yes you'll be fine, today I had a lucky run round and got up to 15 but the 3 days prior there was very little low enough to harvest and it stays that way until someone else picks it up. Your mileage will vary.

glug posted:

Fletching is miserable though.

Someone was saying 1500 cotton translates to about 30 skill points? There seem to be plenty of grindy things to pick from in the game. Given there are plenty of options I think I'll just avoid the worst of the grind skills for now.

I was also wondering if the dev is going to hit the reset button at some point in the cycle. I don't fancy playing 100s of hours to get flushed sometime in the future.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ratzap posted:

I was also wondering if the dev is going to hit the reset button at some point in the cycle. I don't fancy playing 100s of hours to get flushed sometime in the future.

It looks like they've said in the past they aren't planning one and don't particularly want to (though it's not impossible), but it is ALWAYS possible that individual skills will be removed or reset, or some categories of items may be wiped.

https://stratics.com/community/threads/will-there-be-a-character-wipe.317920/
http://projectgorgon.com/forum/general-gorgon-discussion/57-wipe

EDIT: Also found this, though I don't know where the original quote is on the site but it's consistent with the other stuff.

"just read this on their page, good news for me

'There won’t be a player wipe. But there will probably be partial wipes, like resetting certain skills, wiping out some equipment, maybe even resetting everybody’s cash to a predetermined amount if the existing economy just seems unsalvageable. I’ll be as careful as I can about taking things away from people, though. If you’ve been here a while, hopefully you’ve seen that in action.'"
http://www.mmorpg.com/showVideo.cfm/videoId/3727

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 27, 2015

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

mushroom_spore posted:

"just read this on their page, good news for me

'There won’t be a player wipe. But there will probably be partial wipes, like resetting certain skills, wiping out some equipment, maybe even resetting everybody’s cash to a predetermined amount if the existing economy just seems unsalvageable. I’ll be as careful as I can about taking things away from people, though. If you’ve been here a while, hopefully you’ve seen that in action.'"
http://www.mmorpg.com/showVideo.cfm/videoId/3727

Thanks, that's reassuring. I have no problem with skill readjustment, balancing, removal of gear or economy type resets because hey, it's in development. It's the flat out nuke of everything that I was worried about and he seems well aware that it'd be a bummer to a lot of players doing that.

Pesterchum posted:

Is there a place to go to get level 20ish gear for skills? Or enemies that drop them? Everything I see for sale is in the 30-40 range but it doesn't feel like I can take on much in the way of difficult enemies because all of my gear is bottom tier.

How do you reckon what level you are? Are you going on weapon skill? Endurance level? I looked at all the stats pages and I couldn't see a 'you are level X' anywhere. Have I missed something obvious?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Ratzap posted:

How do you reckon what level you are? Are you going on weapon skill? Endurance level? I looked at all the stats pages and I couldn't see a 'you are level X' anywhere. Have I missed something obvious?

More in that gear says things like "requires hammer 5 and shield 5 to wield" stuff.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

mushroom_spore posted:

Binding your teleport circle
What

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

You know, there are teleport spells, but you have to bind to a specific teleportation circle as your destination point (therefore it's *your* teleportation circle, that you're bound to)? :confused: I admit I'm tired, but I thought it made sense.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

mushroom_spore posted:

You know, there are teleport spells
Where do you get them? Is there a requirement?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

Where do you get them? Is there a requirement?

I think you can buy the book from the Serbule fairy with a lot of favor, or another fairy (Eltibule farm?) with no favor requirement. Also you will need a shitton of amethysts from Surveying, but teleporting only has a smallish random chance of actually using up the amethyst. :)

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Stumbled onto this out of boredom and going through the MMO HMO.

Battle Chemistry has my full attention. Unsure if I really want to take the plunge. Someone push me into it!

e: took the plunge. Character's name is Ansible and I'm collecting mushrooms. This is amazing.

Zeg fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 28, 2015

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

mushroom_spore posted:

I think you can buy the book from the Serbule fairy with a lot of favor, or another fairy (Eltibule farm?) with no favor requirement. Also you will need a shitton of amethysts from Surveying, but teleporting only has a smallish random chance of actually using up the amethyst. :)

Yeah the farm west of Eltibule - 150g, I know this because I bought it today. I don't have surveying yet or know where to get it but one skill step at a time.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yea but with all this self-sufficient crafting runaround I'm kinda tired of learning one piddly thing after another,

so anyone got Amethysts for teleportation?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ratzap posted:

Yeah the farm west of Eltibule - 150g, I know this because I bought it today. I don't have surveying yet or know where to get it but one skill step at a time.

Joeh, the weapon/armor elf in Serbule, has the Surveying book, along with paper and ink to make your surveys. (Animals will have to get ink and paper from other vendors, I know there's a fairy in Sun Vale.)

Surveying is quite a lot of fun, especially if you're in the mood to run around the world rather than sit on your butt in front of the cooking pot or digging potatoes. Just make a big pile of surveys at once and look at each of them; there are usually clusters of gem deposits relatively close to one another on the map. Then you can go kill monsters while following your pile of treasure maps. As an added bonus, all the gems you don't care about (most are only for crafting gear) usually sell decently.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

mushroom_spore posted:

Joeh, the weapon/armor elf in Serbule, has the Surveying book, along with paper and ink to make your surveys. (Animals will have to get ink and paper from other vendors, I know there's a fairy in Sun Vale.)

Surveying is quite a lot of fun, especially if you're in the mood to run around the world rather than sit on your butt in front of the cooking pot or digging potatoes. Just make a big pile of surveys at once and look at each of them; there are usually clusters of gem deposits relatively close to one another on the map. Then you can go kill monsters while following your pile of treasure maps. As an added bonus, all the gems you don't care about (most are only for crafting gear) usually sell decently.

Apart from being broke again, the biggest problem is inventory space for all these crafting stages. Between cooking and gardening I barely have space to loot anything so I think a more sane strategy for a while is keep raw materials only and learn skills. Once I have money I can progress a skill or two then clean up all the raw materials and intermediates to reclaim inventory space - rinse, repeat. If the guy wanted to make money he could sell inv upgrades.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Here's a good strategy: If you want archery and don't want to deal with carpentry and fletching, give me your oak and I'll make beginner arrows for you, and pretty soon the second tier ones. Holy crap fletching stinks.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

glug posted:

Here's a good strategy: If you want archery and don't want to deal with carpentry and fletching, give me your oak and I'll make beginner arrows for you, and pretty soon the second tier ones. Holy crap fletching stinks.

i'd gladly hand over my ridiculous amount of oak, logging in now as mrkitty

e: ha! server goes down for an update as I log in. I had enough time to select a new hangout :smugdog:

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 28, 2015

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Patching right now.. if you're around that would be so awesome. I'd be like.. able to make tier 2 arrows while I'm level friggen 30 in archery :/

whats the haps yo
Feb 25, 2009

I am the Emperor, and I want dumplings.
I'm in game as Glasnosticism, onwards to mediocrity.

Edit: This is pretty fun.

whats the haps yo fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 1, 2015

Agar Agar
Jun 14, 2007

In as Porknagar. I have no idea what I am doing.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

All my hangouts vanished from NPCs I could previously hang out with, :wtc:

Octave
Jan 9, 2008

Jackard posted:

All my hangouts vanished from NPCs I could previously hang out with, :wtc:

Did your favor go down with the NPCs? That might happen in a big way if you come to town with summoned skeletons for instance. They don't like necromancy.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
level 50... gardening.

Also, I am so close to fletching tier 2 arrows. All I need is.. a million FISH SCALES. wtf.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I really enjoy many aspects of this game, but I cannot stand having to grind using combat skills I hate just to unlock something I enjoy. I keep trying to go back and force myself to unlock the mentalism skill, but every time i look at the combat skills I have I just get bored and quit. Unfortunately, this one aspect of the game is so huge to me I just cannot bring myself to login anymore.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Octave posted:

Did your favor go down with the NPCs? That might happen in a big way if you come to town with summoned skeletons for instance. They don't like necromancy.
No it is the same level as before. :psyduck:ing here

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I think I figured it out.
The guy making this game got hurt in a hunting accident, because he is lactose intolerant.

Fletching is the worst thing ever until you make cheese.

First cheese you make is butter, which requires you to raise textiles to make butter muslin. You have to keep going to get cheesecloth and other stuff like that. But that's for making butter. Making cheese you need barrels to age it in.. so your first cheese, Sour Cream.. requires a muslin and a firkin. A firkin is carpentry to create, but also blacksmithing to make the hoops (or too much cash). Blacksmithing takes 25 armor patching skill before you can unlock it.

So..
Pick a ton of cotton and process it to make muslin, patch your armor a few hundred times or so, survey for some metal, make hoops, forage for wood, make barrels, squeeze out some milk, and blammo! You get a firkin filled with sour cream.

Now take that firkin to the NEWBIE CAVE, and place it there for ONE HOUR, and blammo! You lose your firkin, and you gain 1 portion of sour cream that goes for 20 gold vendor. That's right.. 2 oak, 2 metal, 2 milk, salt, and a 20% chance of losing your muslin.. to wait an hour and pick up your sour cream in a cave.

Otherwise the game is awesome. :) I just hate that my great accomplishment is reach level 4 in cheesemaking and making sour cream.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I think the intent is to force you to cooperate with other tradeskill er rather than build all of those skills up yourself. It's still rough that way, but not nearly as bad if you have two other people supporting your masochism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats the haps yo
Feb 25, 2009

I am the Emperor, and I want dumplings.

glug posted:

Fletching is the worst thing ever

I haven't even gotten to the point where I can make my own arrows yet. Are you still offering trade deals for beginner arrows?