Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Just came back for the first time since they redid the tutorial area, started a new character. Let's take a moment to reflect on the fact that someone programmed an algorithm that allows your old teacher to repeatedly address you, mispronouncing your name differently each time.

I love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I feel like framerate is even worse than it used to be, though :( :( :(

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Granbar posted:

Haha, yes. Installed this for the first time a few hours ago. Some of the poo poo in this game is making me chuckle out IRL which is dope. It's janky as hell, but for some reason still fun!

Are people still playing?

overwatch :negative:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The eventual skill cap is supposed to be 100 so I imagine it'll slow down from the current cap.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Checked in on this, and redid tutorial island. The beginning of the game is a lot stronger than it used to be, and tutorial island runs at a pretty good frame rate. Serbule.... does not. A TON of hitching as you move around. Makes it hard to stay engaged.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Have they ever gotten this game to run decently? It's really weird fun but man it's so hard to deal with (A) the lack of players and (B) jittery 30fps, and it's hard to fix A when I'm not willing ot recommend it to anyone because of B.

EDIT: Answered my own question- it's not great!

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 10, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yes, yes, ...maybe?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Frog Act posted:

So I’m gonna hop into this tomorrow after getting it on sale, I usually play support or healer builds and it sounds like this game requires a lot of soloing, what would that look like? I played way back in the day when it was free and only serbule was available and found it very charming, so I’m curious to see what it’s like now

It doesn't require a lot of soloing- there's a lot of weird exploration in terms of figuring out how to pick up skills and stuff and that is best done solo, and solo is always an option. The overworld is solo-friendly, and you can usually set up shop in some hallway near the entrance of a dungeon and pick off mobs one at a time/flee for the zone line if you get mobbed. However, the best way to level is still to push deeper into a dungeon with multiple people. There's some non-combat grinds that are better with others too (for instance, the ability to craft tools when I played was locked behind the ability to get level 50 in the goblin language which required collecting card drops from goblins, one for each level, from the goblin dungeon. There are benefits to doing this with other people where you can trade cards.)

At least this was the case when I played a very long time ago. One thing I'll warn you about is that when I've tried to play again recently, looking toward serbule from anywhere in the zone caused my framerate to falter.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Dungeons usually have multiple levels with the deeper levels being fairly solo-unfriendly and having better XP and rewards. However, there are often also some skills that are gated behind your ability to advance deep into a dungeon at least once. So for instance, when I played, the serbule starter dungeon had some good solo grinding against spiders on the top floor, but also had the ability to become a spider at the bottom level. And I think there's some quest objective at the bottom of the goblin dungeon but I forget what that provides.