Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

there sure is some interesting flavor text in this game

:goonsay:

:goonsay::goonsay::goonsay:

In as Lutha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

:aaaaa:

e: also, i discovered the town lending library

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 3, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

mushroom_spore posted:

If anyone's stuck on that stupid pig snout quest let me know, I've got some extras saved up in the bank. Just send a tell to Mraaj if I'm on.

I asked Mraaj if they had any pig snouts. They told me to meet behind the inn in a minute. Then a pig walks up to me and drops a pig snout on the ground :gonk:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

xutech posted:

You picked the wrong neighbourhood.

I'm pretty sure there was a rat-person creeping on us around the corner of the inn, too.

Also, any IRC superstars want to set up a channel for this? Yeah yeah, :effort: on my part, but I don't know how to run a channel very well.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

oh, I thought for coordinating between online people without having to use the crappy builtin chat. just a suggestion, ignore me

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

i remember when this was barely existing past character creation, is it worth a dl?

did you like morrowind? do you like dick jokes? try this game!

the combat is better than what i remember from morrowind (nb i only played that game for like 2 hours)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I discovered a neat thing with the double attack skill-bars: if you drag items on to them they kind of "stick". So say if you had Archery active, you could drag a potion onto a free spot, then later switch that bar to a different skill, and when you switch back to Archery that item will still be there. I don't know how robust this function is, but it's worked for me so far.

This was kinda useful after I realized half of the early sword skills aren't very good. Most of them have really high power cost for marginal effect.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

There was some stuff on the forums/twitter about improving player ability to handle multiple enemies at once. Maybe there's a bunch of other stuff too :iiam:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

So, I guess no patch until at least tomorrow :saddowns:

I've been training Sword and Psych as my main combat skills. But this is kind of a problem sometimes, because some enemies (e.g. mantises) have lots of protection against slashing, and I only really do damage with my slashy sword skills. I used a bow to do that babby "kill seven mantises" quest, but it was a pain. Is the only real solution to train a lot into some other form of damage?

I also went into that cave near Lenin's head and couldn't do any damage to the giant snails. Do they have slashing resistance too? My snails anatomy isn't high enough to see.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Vadun posted:

Man this game is all about gear isn't it? Found a pair of gloves that has 25% chance to do an extra 45 damage with a Cows basic attack.

Now I can actually feel useful even though I have to turn off sound effects due to every attack making an annoying moo. Do the other animals forms have annoying sound effects too?

One of my armors gives a guaranteed, like, +30 to the sword skill that decreases enemy damage for 10 seconds. It doesn't increase the power cost either. So every ten seconds, bam, free 30 damage.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

:f5: where is the patch eric. where is the patch to your game that i have paid no money for and for which you are currently refusing money!!!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The cow curse in the tutorial cave is hilarious. It's kind of a dick move in terms of easing players into the game, though.

Then again, the game is still in alpha :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

because cows fart a lot

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

There are also some skills that you unlock by doing NPC quests. But yeah, if something is confusing you can always peek at the wiki or ask in global chat.

The game is pretty well designed in an old-school RPG sense though. So sometimes I refuse to read guides and just go exploring to find what I can find :)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I know there was one post where the guy was saying he might go with a $5 monthly fee. So at least it would be way cheaper than most subscription games. I would actually be okay with a F2P system because then maybe I could buy extra bank tabs. I'm having the same problem with materials where I get overwhelmed with a full load of them and just sell em all off, then 20 minutes later realize I could've used those two antlers or whatever :shobon:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 24, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Also, some people have set their in in-game tag lines to <LLJK> or <GS> so if you do a /who or /who all in chat you'll see that next to those names.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Dirt posted:

Scared the poo poo out of me the first time it happened haha

That was my first reaction, too. My second thought was "oh cool, it's like the NO ESCAPE warnings from Japanese action games". After that I realized the text fragments were like, all the emotional insecurities of the boss itself. It reminds me of those times when I suddenly realize I forgot to do an important thing, and there is that initial surge of worries about everything related to it. This game :gonk:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

glug posted:

Blacksmith sucks, but I'm at 25 or so, and can probably make you some spider shoes if such a thing exist.

citan plz add the cash shop already so i can buy 8 sonic the hedgehog sneakers for my spider alt, tia

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Yeah, there are never more than 15 people in the main "hub" and I feel like there are less people on in general than in a battlefield match. It's made finding people to help me kill stuff hard.

If you ask nicely in global chat, people will often help you with what they can :)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Are there bags/boxes that allow you to carry more than the standard number of items? The wiki says something about this but it isn't clear. I know there are those potions that give extra space for a little while, but I'm not interested in that.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah i've been surprised at how few gamergaters there are in this game. they still exist, but it seems the majority of people are polite and mature

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Ruggan posted:

Something I found out today - if you put the same skill on both bars you get about 150% xp gain to that one skill. Basically if you only use one bar's skill in combat you get 100% towards that, and if you use both bars' skills in combat you get 75% to each. It allows you to stack both 75% on a single combat skill.

Also, while battle chemistry is only pretty good (not OP), the Extra Toes mutation is amazing. Hard to go back to running at half speed after trying it out.

double psychology bars, here i come! :(

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

"yeah, expect several patches in the next few days" :horse:

hehehe

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

you can serenade your vegetables

goty EVERY YEAR holy poo poo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

CourteousDecapod posted:

I just botched an autopsy on a pig i just killed.
Apparently the killer is still unknown.

I'm Heregeard if you want to add me.

look at these newbies making a mess of pig corpses :rolleye:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Kill pig, autopsy pig, butcher pig, bury pig, level up Compassion.

the land of the ancient serbulites is littered with ritual graves containing mutilated farm animals. leading archaeologists are still not certain what these mean, but they may have had something to do with the worship of the fertility god Jack, who is usually depicted with mushrooms in place of his genitals

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Project Gorgon: a curse turned me into a cow, but at least my party won't go thirsty

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

there are a ton of graphics settings, but my rinky dink graphics card doesn't really see much benefit from tuning things down. hopefully there will eventually be some optimization done on the game client :shobon:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The strategy I've used for getting more powerful is to figure out how far I can go into each zone/dungeon without getting smashed into a pulp. There are pretty well-defined difficulty spikes in most areas, so you can usually find some section of an area that is appropriately difficult for you. For example, in the Serbule graveyard, the first couple hallways have smaller spiders, and each part of the hallway gets harder. After that, you have some hallways with even bigger spiders, and also some skeletons and [spoiler species]. Each of these areas will be appropriate for you at different points on your journey, but probably not in a linear order: I found that when I was starting to outlevel one area of this dungeon, the next one would still knock my teeth in, so then I had to go find an appropriate section of a different zone. So it's a little bit of a scavenger hunt, where you have to figure out how hard different areas are and whether that difficulty will match up with your current gear and skills. I find this a fun puzzle to solve.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it does seem like an OK kids game... until sir coth puts on his +2 "ring" of "slaying"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Inimicul posted:

GUI Tweaks
    The vendor window now has a checkbox to hide the equipment you don't meet the skill requirements for.

Best patch evar!

holy crap, this is amazing

e:

ugh, there's so much stuff in this patch, but i can't find the notes in a copyable text form that i can paste here :argh:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 3, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

quote:

- A large new area of Kur Tower is open but it's all hosed up. 
- About a third of the fruit trees in Sun Vale have been replaced with boars and slugs. 

even mundane notes about the game make me giggle. half the time he sounds like a crusty old maintenance worker explaining how he spent all morning loving around with that old piece of poo poo water heater to get it working again

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

glug posted:

Also, now you know why there were giant warning screens and spam. Another example of a curse.. LatinaPrincess decided to try and take on one of the final bosses of the game (currently) solo. Now, if you group with him, he will randomly say poo poo like "C'mon Glug, you're looting everything and I'm not getting poo poo!" or "I know you're kind of young but could you at least TRY a little bit?"

The speech filters I've been cursed with were pretty amusing, but this one takes the cake. just wow :mmmhmm:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

There is a lot of talk on the Project Gorgon forums about an upcoming conversion from free-to-play alpha to a Steam Early Access one-time buy to play, and :words:

Is it confirmed 100% that this is the plan? I don't follow those forums but I know he's floated other funding ideas in the past, like donations or a small monthly subscription fee.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 9, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i just played the unity5 version today and dang things are so pretty :pcgaming:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

Also pictured in that Gorgon screenshot is the Admin saying he simply cannot possibly optimize Unity 5 to avoid crashing when people with 32-bit operating systems look up.

oh, you're a computer scientist? then perhaps you can explain why, specifically, he's a bad programmer :allears:

either that or we can stop this derail before it starts

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

psych is a great secondary to complement a silly pew-pew build of a weapon skill like swords. I load up mostly DPS sword skills and then use all my psych skills for things like crowd control (make enemy A run away for 5 seconds while I wail on enemy B), or wiping out 200 enemy rage at a shot. Being able to control enemy rage is really nice, since it lets you go a really long time without ever having to eat a stun or enemy crit.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Is there a priest-like class in this game?

Can I be a healer? I'm sick of my archer

In theory your character can learn every skill in the game. Check out some of the combat/support skills, like mentalism, battle chemistry, and psychology. Animal handling is another combat skill that has some healing. And a bunch of the crafting skills tie into healing and buffs.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

just made my first kickstarter pledge ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah the quest system annoyed me a little starting out because it was hard to know which of the dozen quests I'd collected were realistic as a newbie goal. also because quests are one of those things that trigger my "game OCD" and i almost cannot bring myself to ever abandon a quest, because i figure I'll forget who gave it and maybe i will miss out on a cool reward!! :v: