Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They have an optional monthly fee now. Let the whales spend, reduce the buy-in to like 10 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
:siren: it's on sale for 10 bucks right now (finally)

too bad I'm busy with another mmo, but I picked it up for later

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Trip Report!

Got my alpha account reactivated and tied to my steam account. The alpha account password reset doesn't work, so you'll need to email support.

First thing I noticed: A little more inventory space! Although the game deceives you with extra bags, apparently those are folders for organization and not actual spaces. Your total spaces are listed separately at the bottom of the inventory window. After looking through all the poo poo I've been hoarding over 4 npcs... I think an intervention may be in order. Or maybe I needed those for some future task? It's hard to tell.

Cartography got reset at some point. Every zone got some sort of rework as none of my old map pins pointed to the correct locations anymore.

First thing I did was hop over to Eltibule and get my riding skill. 6k for the skill + the prototype mount. It's definitely faster than running but it's got a slow acceleration and deceleration. Leveled it to near 20 in about an hour while I worked on uncovering all of serbule to get some carto skill back.

In my attempt to make some money, I saw that Sun Vale got a complete revamp. None of the mobs I used to hunt were there and bananas seem uncommon, which is what I used to collect to make decent food for my level. hosed around anyway, ran into a kraken and got killed by it, got bonus xp for death skill because it was the first time I got killed by seafood before. Then I logged off.

I'll probably take another stab or two at this game, see if I can earn some more money to uncap my main skills. Training is still expensive!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
After a few more attempts I realized why I wanted to stop playing in the first place: The game is too grindy.

I know, it's an MMO, it's supposed to be grindy, but this is a level of grind that rivals old school MMOs, just in a different way. Instead of group mandatory progress with death penalties and bad parties ruining hours of work, the rate at which you can earn things is limited by money.

It didn't seem so bad at the start. There's nothing blocking you from leveling your skills, you get a decent amount of money along the way and can try different things. You do spend an unusually long amount of time just in serbule, partly to earn favor, partly because of dungeons that help get you at or near 30 in skills, and the fact that Serbule was designed as a hub city that has most everything.

By the time you're mid-level, you need to focus on money. Your main skills get very expensive very quickly and the money you earn isn't really getting you there. That's also when a bunch of very tempting side skills open up, things that could help you get a little more money and things that help with quality of life. There's just so much money sink going on it's become prohibitive to anyone but the most dedicated poopsockers.

There are also key npcs the game doesn't really emphasize but are necessary to keep money flowing. Getting favor can take a good long while and interfere with earning money, but getting all of serbule's storage npcs and unlocking the highest tiers of favor with shop npcs are the two things you really need to make progress at a decent clip. Storage npcs outside of serbule are arguably optional, but you will want shop npcs at near max favor to take advantage of higher sell limits. They all have a budget of how much you can sell to them and it gets reset only once per week. To get an idea how dramatic it is, there's an armor/weapons npc in Eltibule (level 30-50 zone) that starts at 10,000 max but at the highest tier reaches 120,000.

When I picked up where I left off, I actually had 180k. I dropped down to 160k for a while because I picked up horse riding, a new tier of mushroom gathering, and some other cheaper skills. I have since managed to make that back and slightly exceeded 200k in the past few days. What will I do with that money? Pay for my next tier of archery and animal handling, both at 95k each. There will be at least one more tier after that. Also, I probably have to level carpentry and fletching because each new tier of archery needs new arrows.

The player economy right now is largely focused on end-game products. There's little demand for mid or lower tier items in bulk and when they do, they're fairly lowball offers. Conversely, player shop npcs are fully stocked on low/mid tier items and charge a decent amount, but it seems like nobody really buys them in bulk. The exception seems to be mushrooms for some reason, but you basically need mushroom growing to participate and demand is based on the lunar cycle.

The grind aside, the developer is so laser focused on being an ideas guy, he can't really step back and look at the big picture. How one progresses in this game feels uneven and haphazard at times. There are roadblocks that don't make sense. The wiki kind of helps but there are missing bits of information. There are a couple things that are obviously better than it was 5+ years ago, but some of it is locked behind the grind, and the ones that aren't were added in a half-way measure, probably because the developer at least sort of recognizes how dumb some of his ideas were but won't admit it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
According to the lead dev they are too small to be affected. I'm not sure that's the correct read but that's what he thinks. They are considering dropping their pro license to save 4k a year with the only drawback being adding a unity splash screen.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Things aren't looking good: https://forum.projectgorgon.com/entry.php?47-Game-News-2023-11

quote:

We've written a lot over the past few years about our development plans, about Statehelm and orcs, about housing, about what comes next and what we need to get us across the finish line. It's an uncomfortable position -- we're so *very* close, but we're not there yet so we ... Just! Keep! Pushing!

But life doesn't always make it easy to push. Today we need to share some bad news with you, and to talk about how that's going to affect game development. But first I need to briefly fill in some history.

The past few years have been rough. 2020 was a bad year for a lot of people -- the pandemic disrupted all of our systems, including mine. I have really bad ADHD which makes it hard to buckle down and do hard work. Over the years I've created lots of tricks and techniques to get around the ADHD and get work done -- I was really proud of myself for those tricks! But in 2020, when Covid hit and my family started getting sick and -- well, you know what 2020 was like -- my mind-tricks stopped working on myself, and Sandra wasn't herself either. 2020 was a very low-productivity year in terms of new development.

Then 2021 came along and was even worse: Sandra's health declined rapidly; she would eventually be diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. The only bright spot in development was Nick, the programming contractor we'd found. He was amazing to work with, leaving me to focus more on design while he did the hard work. He helped make 2022 development more productive than 2021, bringing the UI and interface up to a high bar... but there wasn't a ton of new game content that year either.

In terms of productivity, 2023 has been better! Sandra is still dying of cancer, sure, but she's been able to work more of the time, and so have I. However, the second half of the year we've run into a new problem: we've run out of cash. In the past when money was tight, Sandra and I would stop paying ourselves from the company funds and survive off of savings. But there's no more savings: cancer is stupid expensive, even with health insurance. At the same time, money from the game has slowly dwindled over the past three years, owing in part to the lack of new game content. Our big sale this summer was a lot of fun, but it didn't hit the goal we needed to keep everything going. At this point, we're out of money to pay for full-time development.

This doesn't mean the game is shutting down! Thanks to the influx of monthly VIP money, we can afford to keep the game running indefinitely with basic support and bug-fix updates. But we no longer have any full-time employees, and our part-timers have reduced hours.

This means that right now, we won't be able to devote significant time to developing major new content or features. Instead we're switching to part-time development while we regroup, save up some money, and figure out the best way forward. We aren't pausing development -- we have a brand new dungeon we've just launched, and we're going to support that dungeon with fixes and improvements. We also have seasonal content and events planned through the end of the year. Next year, we'll see where the finances are and look at our options.

In the longer term, yeah, this could be the end of Project: Gorgon. But not necessarily! Our playerbase is cyclical, which is something I've always liked and encouraged due to our extremely long development time. Our players get bored and wander off for a year or two, then come back and get involved again. That's why we've just launched a new mega-dungeon and level-cap increase, to give returning players something meaty to sink their teeth into. My hope is that we'll see an uptick in VIP memberships. It really wouldn't take a lot more VIPs to let us continue full-time development in some form. In the meantime, we'll keep the servers running and the smaller updates coming.

So we'll see. We haven't given up yet! But if this is the end, I want to say how sorry I am that I couldn't complete the game I promised. And how grateful I am that you supported us all these years. Thank you. I will never forget what you've done for us.

- Eric

PS - if you have questions, please visit our Discord and ask them in the town-hall section. I'll do my best to answer them. We'll update this dev blog with a FAQ section, after we find out what the frequently-asked questions are.

tl;dr: the covid shutdown, followed by his wife still being treated for cancer, has sapped their savings. They have enough cash to keep the servers going, but they probably won't reach the finish line.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Strotski posted:

Game's getting donations and publicity, it might survive after all :unsmith: even if for a little bit longer

They had a donation run, admins enabled +100 inventory slots and +150% exp event until the end of November, perfect time to get back in!

(they also are gonna spawn few event chests for the US crowd, I made easy 600k councils from selling recipe books as a level 7 that just got back in again)

I got in on that but only sold one book. Now I'm stuck with a dozen books that are probably worthless because the entire server used that event to grab as many new skills books as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's on sale again for :10bux:

Convincing more people to get hooked on VIP might be their best bet for longevity.