Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Add Glug to the list.

This game is awesome.

I did all I could do practically in the newbie cave, and figured.. let's see how tough this boss is. Was not even denting him and drank my two healing potions I found, so I ran. Then I realized.. he curses you during combat.. not when you die.

I got cowed, and someone offered to help. One person sent me a PM with a word that would apparently cure me, but someone else said he'd kill the boss for me. So, me, a cow, psychoanalyzed the boss while a super-fast deer came in and murdered it. Then I was back to a cat person and the deer told me how the game works and ran off at the speed of a cheetah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
yo octave you bought my first auction yay!

This game is awesome, it's a shame it doesn't have a team behind it. And I would pay dollars for bag/bank space.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Strotski posted:

BRYKDIY / TRALPRAO / SOZPRYO - Instant Death (Causes speaker to die instantly, gaining 500xp to Death first time used)
Used the first, after the second and third were already gone. So.. they're all gone.
Also this was gone:
DWALLYQ - Teleport to Etibule Keep
and I used:
TRYBTRIU - Increased Inventory (Increases inventory size by 10 for 1 hour)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Instant Death - FADYUB

edit: just tell someone FAD YUB, and they can remove the space when they say it man. Easy to share.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I don't see too big an issue. My second highest skill is foraging. If you decide you wanna raise it while you're out hunting pigs or whatever, you can find nodes. Bind a key to 'next non combat target' or something, so you can hit that key and find grapes, flowers, etc. It eventually picks up.. and once you can hit the next tier of things, you're set. There's an area in the second zone near the bridge full of cows that has lots of cotton for high gather xp, etc.

Fletching is miserable though.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Here's a good strategy: If you want archery and don't want to deal with carpentry and fletching, give me your oak and I'll make beginner arrows for you, and pretty soon the second tier ones. Holy crap fletching stinks.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Patching right now.. if you're around that would be so awesome. I'd be like.. able to make tier 2 arrows while I'm level friggen 30 in archery :/

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
level 50... gardening.

Also, I am so close to fletching tier 2 arrows. All I need is.. a million FISH SCALES. wtf.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I think I figured it out.
The guy making this game got hurt in a hunting accident, because he is lactose intolerant.

Fletching is the worst thing ever until you make cheese.

First cheese you make is butter, which requires you to raise textiles to make butter muslin. You have to keep going to get cheesecloth and other stuff like that. But that's for making butter. Making cheese you need barrels to age it in.. so your first cheese, Sour Cream.. requires a muslin and a firkin. A firkin is carpentry to create, but also blacksmithing to make the hoops (or too much cash). Blacksmithing takes 25 armor patching skill before you can unlock it.

So..
Pick a ton of cotton and process it to make muslin, patch your armor a few hundred times or so, survey for some metal, make hoops, forage for wood, make barrels, squeeze out some milk, and blammo! You get a firkin filled with sour cream.

Now take that firkin to the NEWBIE CAVE, and place it there for ONE HOUR, and blammo! You lose your firkin, and you gain 1 portion of sour cream that goes for 20 gold vendor. That's right.. 2 oak, 2 metal, 2 milk, salt, and a 20% chance of losing your muslin.. to wait an hour and pick up your sour cream in a cave.

Otherwise the game is awesome. :) I just hate that my great accomplishment is reach level 4 in cheesemaking and making sour cream.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

No One You Admire posted:

I haven't even gotten to the point where I can make my own arrows yet. Are you still offering trade deals for beginner arrows?

Short answer: YES!

Long answer: I finally got up to being able to make tier 2 arrow shafts, and accidentally crafted a buncch of tier 1. I just need oak, tonight after company, for arrows. :)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Pesterchum posted:

I just today was able to finally explore all of that mushroom dungeon and only then with the help of someone else. The special ability of the myconians is to disable your basic attack which is kind of a problem when it's easy to pull ten at a time.

Don't risk fighting Tremor in there on a whim, either. His curse disables your basic attack permanently until you manage to kill him.

What do you mean 'basic attack'? Do you mean all attacks, like a stun.. or is there some special free attack everyone has that I am not aware of and I always run out of power?

edit: also, new dudes:
If you want to do archery.. step 1 - gather oak, step 2 - find glug, trade oak for arrows.

Making arrows is murder.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
This is a really good game.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Not enough space? Here's your solution.

Grow beets.
Lots of beets.
Cook Beet + Bottle of Water = Baked Beets. It's just level 20, you can get there fast enough making bacon out of pigs at no cost (and give to the weapon guy for favor).

If you need bottles to make this growing thing easier, buy the antidote potions from Marna (30 coins) and drink them. Cheap instant bottle.

Give these baked beets to Marna as a gift. She gives about 41 favor each. That's 410 favor for a 10 stack.

Get your favor up super fast with Marna, all the way. If you find yourself broke, take the baked beets to Ert Keep in the middle of the map and some people pay full price for 'em. That's 1100 a stack.

What happens when you get your favor up with Marna? This isn't an 'open anywhere' bank, but it's a general, any-item-goes storage she gives you.. and I'm now going from Close Friends to.. let's see..
Soul Mates. That's the end, no more favor.

56 slots for storage.
Say goodbye to worrying about your bank slots being too expensive.

I currently have 28 bank slots, and it's 1300 to add one more. Now I can only put stuff in there that I might need all over the place, like quest items I'm sitting on until I go to whatever town.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
And that list doesn't really get above 40 so there ya go. When you look at your profile there is this I am [________________] box you can fill out, which shows up on the who list.

I propose we all prefix ours with GS so we know which of us is a goon. Gonna be a while before we all get in front of each other and hit Friend, so this'll help.

Another trick with gardening, my first skill to 50:

Grow cabbages.
Give them to me, thanks.

If you have no interest in alchemy, I'll give you a potion that I think vendors for 100 for 2 cabbages. The potion gives you +20 health regen for a minute, even in combat, so you can just keep it and use it, and when you use it you get an empty bottle back.

Grow me cabbage.

edit: 10 hours with Jack.

You completed the activity "Experiment with mushroom-based infusion recipes!"

Mushroom Jack says, "You remember anything? Nope, me either. I guess that concoction caused memory loss! But look at all the junk you're carrying. I bet we had fun."

80 favor with Mushroom Jack
1 Tuft of Fur
1 Power Potion
3 Butter

glug fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 6, 2015

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I just saw that spider belt for sale used on the gardner in serb. Also, I'm like 46 archery, and can prolly fight better poo poo then I normally do, especially in a group. I could be down for poo poo later/tomorrow. Look for me online if you wanna do anything dangerous/stupid.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Boogaleeboo posted:

This is a game where lucky loot drops can seriously impact just how powerful you are. I got an Animal Handling drop that doubled the amount of Armor and tripled the amount of Health my pet had, and let it do a solid amount more hate. A couple like that and it'd be a viable tank against anything. Same for Werewolf gear. The combos generally come on gear that also boosts your damage, so you can be doing a ton of damage while restoring Health and Armor.

Conversely if you *don't* get the drops you need, you can be absolutely hosed and have to grind out like another 10 levels on a skill to reach a viable point to fight some of the tougher dungeon stuff.

Also where the hell do you get Fish Scales from?

You can wear belts that skew drops towards your combat skills, and you can check the used items and consignment items at appropriate vendors in appropriate areas and usually get great gear upgrades. Just like in other games, it's not all luck if you are willing to buy. A proper AH system would make it even easier.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Then, if you're not interested in blacksmithing, go SURVEY THE gently caress out of metal and sell the metal to me for double vendor price, and I'll eventually make you all sexy tools like +10 skinning knives.

I've done 110 tier-2 metal surveys to get the 20 blacksmithing I need (plus 20 carpentry and 50 goblinese) to unlock toolcrafting, and now I need piles of tier 1 metal in the beginning.. it hurts.

edit: if you guys haven't seen a pattern to my posting yet, it's basically "my life is so hard, give me your things I will totally give you better things"

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

wtsnaename posted:

Save me any gems along the way that directly affect your combat skills and I'll try my hand at making some armor for you, too. And lots of quartz, please.

Ps. Glug, you can buy tier 1 metals in the myconian cave from either Mu or Way, don't remember which.

Thanks, and yeah. 50 a pop is almost worth the sanity.
My problem is getting past the first thing I can craft and finding out I need a shitton of skulls for favor. So guess who is collecting skulls instead of getting some money for real skills? :(

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Just go fire off a multi shot arrow in a field of cows in eltibule. Blast dem speakers!

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I have a 10% chance that my snare arrow does +1000 damage, and on a different piece of gear it's 10% for another +600. There's other archery stuff for straight +100 I think, or 50% of +100-+150, but nothing beats snare :)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Manbearpig.

I think the patch is happening as we type.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I am here to tell you a secret about archery. I started with archery/sword, and would use sword when things were close.. so why use that stupid bash skill?
Then I never noticed the gear that adds knockback to it. I'm 53 archery for a while now, and never liked my secondary stuff.. and was talking to someone else who mentioned using bow bash, and I said why? "For the knockback".

Holy poo poo. Shoot a thing, shoot it again, throw it a mile away, repeat. Wow.

I have been playing so terribly.

PS: fletching sucks give me resources I'll make arrows. Or fletch, skip carpentry, and I'll make your dowels and boxes.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Wolpertinger posted:

:psyduck: Amazing, I just got /ignored by one of the apparently oldest players in the game

Hahha, was his name Liendra or something like that? Cause I got ignored when he made a comment about Putin and I made another comment. He went ape and ignored me and some other dude, was just loving balls out ANGRY.

edit: oh yeah wolpertinger.. you're a goon, hi :)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Hey wtsnaename I have your fire belt. Son of a bitch took a trophy skin to make.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Wolpertinger posted:

One idea for animal forms that could make them simultaneously more fun/accessible while also different enough to be something of a serious decision would be to add a larger number of animal, or animal-friendly NPCs that only talk to or give quests/services to animals - a secret society of all the pets and livestock and some wild animals. There's already the suspicious cow, flia, and harry, so why not go further. Then, being a cow changes more than 'you can use cow skills but half the npcs don't want to talk to you and you can't use half the skills' . Animal forms shouldn't be a 'punishment' considering how amusing they are.

It's not a punishment, it's a hard choice. You can always turn back.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Spreadsheet doesn't have toolcrafting, but I'm at 42 I think, and I'll max it out tonight, especially if someone is around that has space to sell crap to Yetta for me, cause I've tapped out anyone that buys the item I'm grinding.

That means I can get folks Organ Knives (5% chance of organs when butchering), +5 autopsy later on, and +10 skinning knives um.. after I hit 50 and then decide to raise HAMMER to 30. So.. +8 skinning knives for a bit.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
PIcked it up my rear end - I sperged it. I've got to go buy my last stack of metal and I'm 50, and I also have your cash on me. Life is good. Back to hitting 25 in BC/FM.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Alrighty then, guess I'll try to figure out as much as possible on my own. Only reason I went down Animal Handling was because there seems to be nothing else to pair Fire Magic with without getting to Necromancy or Staff Training early. Maybe Battle Chemistry, but I guess now I have some things to test tonight when I get home.

Also my in game name is VisualPine.

I just did Fire/BC to 25 so I could do BC+Archery(50). Fire/BC is great, because BC pretty much starts out with 3 pbaoe's to go with fire's aoes and good direct damage stuff. It's pretty ugly. Blast the fire bolts that hit everyone, when they gather drop 3 BC things, one hits armor, the other two burn the flesh or somesuch, and then mop up.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Ok I'm going to ask a stupid question how do you use both BC and Fire. Because every time I try to equip a staff and a beaker they overwrite each other.

When BC was updated a little while back, they made two items, beakers and flasks. One is for main hand, one is for offhand. You just use the appropriate one. Go to the trainer, go to buy equipment, hover over each item and see which wielded item it's going to replace.

Bingo.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Sup dude. Yes, this developer is the best kind of wacko, and the game is fantastic. Best to gift that potion to Velwhatever, the firemage guy in town, he loves potions and it's worth a bit. They'll drop often enough.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
You don't even get any more conversation, she's loving depressed and wants magic to fix it. I want to paint her with goblin blood or pile goblin skull around her and see if that makes me..err.. her feel any better.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Four legs bad, two legs good.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
sounds like pity, spiderman :)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I'll buy your metals at vendor price if that works.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
For fire, like you said, you knew what you were getting into. Fire is really powerful, but expensive and hard to raise, it's not the best thing to start out with. Archery I was gimped for a while as well, because of how hard it was to get fletching up to the same level as your skills, and I wanted to do it all by myself.

For hammer, there seems to be huge stacks of wings on mushroom jack lately, and 100 each to buy, so grab a handful and you're set. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 or 20 was more than enough.

If you want to raise gardening, beet + water = baked beets = money.
If you're high enough to get to sun vale, and made 1000 beets and bacon so you're at about 45 cooking, 3 banana, flour, water = banana bread.
You can sell food to that leatherworker in Eltibule as well. She'll take skins for favor too.

We should make a list of who pays max price for certain items, because I could turn wood into money on the toolcrafter and I wish I had someone else with deep pockets and a love for furniture.

Just fyi, you're prolly losing money at 'vendor price' selling the highest tier metals. I did some masterwork today and poo poo was expensive.
If you're interested in making some serious cash, farm the cheapest, easiest metal. Sell it for 25 a pop. You can buy it from the mushroom guy for 50 each, and there are players who power level blacksmith or toolcrafting or some other stuff and need that metal. Just offer it up in chat once in a while or listen for people. You should be able to easily sell that metal for anything under 50.

I knew it sucked even though everyone said to make it and it's the best. Whatever, it'll get fixed and I'll keep raising butcher and knowledges.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Blacksmith sucks, but I'm at 25 or so, and can probably make you some spider shoes if such a thing exist.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I think belt recipes are like 6k or so for the top harness. If a couple of spiders are interested I can do it. I still have so many skills to buy and no money for 'em, so lets find some shpida.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I apologize for my impending limited gameplay, but as it turns out, Pillars of Eternity released. Also, here's the dungeon list, with rough levels.

http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Dungeons

The Myconians is a good place to run around, dangerous in some areas, but it's worth farming shrooms up, and especially collecting the heartshrooms. You can give those to mu? for favor and he sells some mentalism abilities that are important, and there's a few other people that take those for favor. Under the hand isn't tough, and is good for raising a new secondary skill. Also, fulgurite is used in a few things, and by archers. I'll take some of that ;) Kur tower is also a decent spot.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Don't worry about it too hard, and just put all the shields you get as loot in Joeh's storage, then make a trip and bring a bunch in. Doesn't hurt to level something different up for the short term. Your second skill will catch up fast enough, especially if you're still under 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
For leveling secondaries, you also can't use a skill more than 25 levels above the second one, so if you're level 50 mentalism 1 necromancer, you can only put abilities on your bar that are level 26 and under from mentalism.