Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
This amazing thread has convinced me that I need to give this game a try. Where/how can I become a giant spider by dying, and does that dumb apple quest also allow spiders to talk to merchants or does it only work for farm animals? :spiderguy:

EDIT: The wiki is full of holes, but I found what I needed. Looks like you can just buy the spider curse from an NPC, which is neat. How hard are moonstones to get? Apparently that's how spiders do their shopping.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I managed to befriend the bank guy since his longer option supposedly gives you money, but it looks like the server is still down so I can't hop on and confirm. (The bank guy has no quests, so your only sane option is to basically grind for things you can sell to buy expensive player-made foods that were sold to the dude in the inn. Some of those level 30 and 35 foods gave huge chunks of friendship points.)

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The server's not down, a friend of mine is currently in game. However, I'm still getting access denied messages so who even knows what's going on.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
That's me in the reply, redownloading is doing nothing for me. Is there an extra step to uninstalling the game besides just deleting the folder and launcher that came in the .zip?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pesterchum posted:

Check AppData -> Local -> Project Gorgon.

Managed to find AppData -> Local by enabling viewing hidden folders, but there's nothing in there aside from Microsoft and Temp (which is empty). I'm on Windows 7 x64, if that matters.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind, I just tried it again and the game works. Maybe whatever they rebooted on their end fixed it. :buddy:

Also the banker's hanging out reward has been cut from 800 to 400, but that's still pretty respectable as a perpetually poor newbie.

Another edit: Is that quest where you can talk to merchants as an animal by finding apples still in the game? I have a few and I'm wondering if I should hang on to them.

Son of the edit: There it is, only works for the food merchant at the inn but it sounds like it's still there. Looks like the banker also has a quest.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 23, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I gave cowhood a try for a few hours, and while it's fun and ridiculous I definitely couldn't put up with the loss of NPC merchants and storage access early on in the game. Luckily some kind soul offered me a word of power to turn back, so I was able to save all my cow de-transformation quest items for another day. Along with some apples and bronze coins to save for those NPC access quests.

People who are playing cows right out of the tutorial: where are you selling your loot? I think I talked to just about everyone on the first map, but still had some equipment types I couldn't unload. Are you just tossing it? I guess you could still make an okay income off of other vendor trash.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

I can't find the Hang Out option, where is it? Is there a requirement?

Yeah, it needs friendship levels for (I think) all NPCs that will do it.

EDIT: That is, I think every NPC that will hang out needs a certain friendship level to do it, not that you have to befriend every single NPC in order to hang out at all. I can English good. :v:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AppliedPhilosophy posted:

Can you have more than one summon/pet/golem out at the same time? This is important.

I don't think there's a limit, except maybe components for necromancy and stable slots for animals. I've seen people with two rats or a rat and a golem. If there is a limit, it might be like Animal Handling where you can only have pets out while having the relevant skillset equipped (so no zombie army if you're not an active necromancer, or whatever).

Bahanahab posted:

I need a good healing kit, but all the vendors I've looked up require a faction grind to unlock the ability to buy it form them. Is there anyway to get the good healing kit without faction grinding it, because i would really like to unlock mentalism.

You can greatly speed up faction grinding by using higher level/value versions of whatever they're asking for. Someone who likes prepared food will get a huge jump from some lv30 player food you bought from the used tab at the inn, the weapon shop guy likes higher level sword vendor trash a lot more than level 0 crap, etc.

Otherwise you'll probably have to bribe another player to buy one for you.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

onesixtwo posted:

I'm having way too much fun with this game. Still stumbling around outside killing spiders / pigs, getting owned by tigers. I keep hearing there is a Crypt below the first town, but can't find it for the life of me.

It's behind the town. Go waaay south and a bit east until you start seeing skeletons. Watch out for giant mantises, they are worse than tigers. (The friendly mantis for the quest is nowhere near here, he's north.)

Also you can learn Animal Handling from a shrine out front at the crypt. :toot: Don't remember if you need Charm Rat from the noob cave to learn it, but you definitely need Charm before you can actually tame anything.

EDIT: On a related note, if anyone actually understands the pet stats and leveling system please let me know. My AH skill is 5 or so but my rat is level 10 and who knows what some of these numbers mean.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 23, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
That's where the lake portal goes? I half expected it to be some elemental hell dungeon. I've had this sewer rat quest sitting in my journal for days. :downs:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the auto-pathing in this game is super broken sometimes. It's pretty common for me to click a mushroom or a monster and my character will immediately turn and run in the exact opposite direction for a minute or so, then stop and do nothing.

Has anyone been able to confirm whether "hang out" still repeats automatically without having to talk to the NPC again? I'd read it was supposed to work that way, but of course stuff changes. I thought I totaled four hours offline since I last completed a thing, but I could have been short.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Oh, forgot to say I'm in as Mraaj. I spend most of my game time fishing, cooking and fooling around with survey maps though so my combat development has kinda slowed. I think my Unarmed and Psychology are around 12-14.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
BTW if the people playing animals could help me fill this out that'd be cool: http://projectgorgon.com/forum/general-gorgon-discussion/301-full-list-of-banned-skills-for-animals

The miscellaneous skills seem kinda random in what's banned, I mean a cow can use a butcher knife but a handsaw is out of the question? :psyduck: So I figure it'd help a lot with one of the more awesome parts of this weirdo game if there were actually a resource for what skills you can use (and maybe which vendors you can still talk to and what they buy) while doing it.

I do have a pig potion in the bank, but I'll probably just go turn into a cow again once I've learned as many skills as possible at my level (and finished collecting apples, already got coins to unlock the banker). If I can find an NPC who'll talk to animals and buy Surveying stones at full price I should have an okay income to keep trying out skills as a cow for a while. (Didn't they go out of their way to make sure there's an animal-friendly NPC that sells ink and paper? The fairy or suspicious cow?)

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

Well, what about help from human players? Apparently trade interface doesn't work, but you can always drop items

Wait, trade interface doesn't work at all, or it only doesn't work for animals? :aaa: But yeah, obviously you can have an alt give you stuff through the account chest, or ask someone you know (we need guilds), or beg for help from some generous rando in global chat (if it's something you can't get really ripped off doing). I just want to work out what the baseline is, because information on this game is poo poo and one wiki looks like it hasn't been updated since Gorgon had a completely different look.

Also so people don't invest a lot of time and pretend money in building skills that will completely go to waste after coming down with your curse of choice. ex: Cow gives bonuses to Cheesemaking, but actually making butter/cheese apparently requires Textile Creation. Without a large-scale player market, you'd probably want to be sure you know someone with Textile Creation if cows can't use it anymore.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

Not at all, iirc it tells you to drop items on the ground. :laffo:

That's hysterical. At least the game is up front when things are broken. :laffo: Although I've found surprisingly few real bugs aside from some graphical errors like waves of water randomly coming up out of solid ground in the middle of nowhere. I did somehow get saltpeter from picking up either fruit or a bag of flour/grain though.

glug posted:

One person sent me a PM with a word that would apparently cure me

That might have been the same person that helped me when I turned out to be nowhere near ready to live the cow life, I think they'd built up quite a store of power words. I've been working on that myself, though at the moment just the little level zero ones. But you get some pretty good stuff in with those too, like teleports or an instant death word that gives you a ton of extra Dying exp.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Somebody gave me a gigantic amount of info about what animals can and can't do, who they can and can't talk to, etc. I updated the OP at http://projectgorgon.com/forum/general-gorgon-discussion/301-animal-skill-restrictions-and-animal-friendly-merchants-upd-feb-2015 with everything I got.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

drat... will anyone that finds cotton do me a favor and hang onto it? Supposed to spawn in the second zone but:

• Only saw it in a small area near the keep
  • So hard to see that the wiki recommends using tab targeting
  • Harvesting requires 15 Foraging
  • You need a loving ton of it

How the hell are people tab targeting clickable resources? That doesn't work for me, and lord knows I've been trying. :psyduck: Am I missing an option checkbox somewhere?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Everything is different now.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Quick heads up: after getting the banker to like me via prepared food and then using his 4 hour hang out option a few times (400 gold), it unlocked a new option to hang out for 8 hours for 800 gold. Technically the same as the 4 hour one, but you make more overnight and don't have to hop on as often just to refresh hanging out during the day, so that's cool.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

randombattle posted:

It's so bizarre that I can't help but like it. I wish I knew how to get and use some of the crazier things. I'm just punching people.

What skill/s are you looking for? http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Skills has directions for learning just about everything. It's missing the precise location of the druid shrine, but if you ask nicely someone in game can give you more specifics.

That said, when I actually got to the druid shrine I promptly decided I didn't want to learn it after all. It comes with a warning that eventually (probably after the proper druid entry quests are implemented instead of just pushing a button) druid characters will be subjected to a system of having to go deal with periodic disaster events on at least a daily basis, and be unable to earn any skill experience in ANYTHING until they do. :psyduck: That's a bit much for me.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

Um, don't be an animal before you know what's going on, makes everything grindier and harder

If you DO want to be an animal, though, this may help. http://projectgorgon.com/forum/general-gorgon-discussion/301-animal-skill-restrictions-and-animal-friendly-merchants-upd-feb-2015

The most important thing is to absolutely not do it until you have 5 ancient bronze coins and 20 apples. You can still sell all loot, but you'll have to do some walking to the mushroom cave and Sun Vale for certain types. (Binding your teleport circle in Sun Vale will save you 200 gold per trip, and will drop you right by the fairy NPCs and the portal to Serbule, which will drop you close to the mantis NPC/mushroom teleports/portal to Eltibule.)

Anyway, I'm a pig now. :buddy: So far it's fun, got a few skill levels and now I can spawn gatherable mushrooms at will and finally equip this pig gear I found.

EDIT: Also, regarding skills, with the way having some skills requires so much work in OTHER skills, I feel like the game really needs to get the drat trade interface working. It's a good system if you want to encourage an active player market, but right now we can't...really market with each other. If you want wood chips for cooking, you pretty much have to level a whole new skill yourself.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 27, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ratzap posted:

I was also wondering if the dev is going to hit the reset button at some point in the cycle. I don't fancy playing 100s of hours to get flushed sometime in the future.

It looks like they've said in the past they aren't planning one and don't particularly want to (though it's not impossible), but it is ALWAYS possible that individual skills will be removed or reset, or some categories of items may be wiped.

https://stratics.com/community/threads/will-there-be-a-character-wipe.317920/
http://projectgorgon.com/forum/general-gorgon-discussion/57-wipe

EDIT: Also found this, though I don't know where the original quote is on the site but it's consistent with the other stuff.

"just read this on their page, good news for me

'There won’t be a player wipe. But there will probably be partial wipes, like resetting certain skills, wiping out some equipment, maybe even resetting everybody’s cash to a predetermined amount if the existing economy just seems unsalvageable. I’ll be as careful as I can about taking things away from people, though. If you’ve been here a while, hopefully you’ve seen that in action.'"
http://www.mmorpg.com/showVideo.cfm/videoId/3727

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 27, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

You know, there are teleport spells, but you have to bind to a specific teleportation circle as your destination point (therefore it's *your* teleportation circle, that you're bound to)? :confused: I admit I'm tired, but I thought it made sense.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

Where do you get them? Is there a requirement?

I think you can buy the book from the Serbule fairy with a lot of favor, or another fairy (Eltibule farm?) with no favor requirement. Also you will need a shitton of amethysts from Surveying, but teleporting only has a smallish random chance of actually using up the amethyst. :)

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ratzap posted:

Yeah the farm west of Eltibule - 150g, I know this because I bought it today. I don't have surveying yet or know where to get it but one skill step at a time.

Joeh, the weapon/armor elf in Serbule, has the Surveying book, along with paper and ink to make your surveys. (Animals will have to get ink and paper from other vendors, I know there's a fairy in Sun Vale.)

Surveying is quite a lot of fun, especially if you're in the mood to run around the world rather than sit on your butt in front of the cooking pot or digging potatoes. Just make a big pile of surveys at once and look at each of them; there are usually clusters of gem deposits relatively close to one another on the map. Then you can go kill monsters while following your pile of treasure maps. As an added bonus, all the gems you don't care about (most are only for crafting gear) usually sell decently.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

Google doc could be handy, but many of the skills and recipes in this game are irrelevant for groups and no point including them - especially for manual entry.

Yeah, for the sake of sanity and document size it might be best to just stick to the crafting related ones, maybe harvesting if you just really need to buy 20 cottons from somebody.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

Alright, here's one open to edits. Let me know if I missed anything relevant:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wAAImwbD1J0gwnwnDxR6FASnJzM9ghDdkNO3IsA372c/edit?usp=sharing

What's LTR stand for? Anyway, I put some stuff in there, and vote that Lore (for Words of Power crafting) and Mycology (bunch of stuff, including ingredient recipes for other skills) be added.

Also if anyone's found a place where Perch consistently spawn, please let me know. The top tier spore bomb I can make right now does ludicrous damage compared to my actual attacks. :laffo:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 1, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Ah, there we go. I think noscript was blocking that.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Have the mushrooms that teleport you to the mushroom cave gone on vacation for anyone else? I was going to make a run through there to sell some crap since the shrooms are animal-friendly...and I suddenly can't find a teleport to save my life. :psyduck: It usually takes all of fifteen seconds from the mantis house.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nietzschean posted:

This looks bad enough to be awesome.

Please make this the thread title. :laffo:

Also I did eventually find teleport mushrooms, but nowhere near the usual spot. Do they move? Who knows.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sir Vanderhosen posted:

Isn't there a normal entrance to the cave in the northwest corner of the map? I'm not sure about the teleport mushrooms since I haven't tried using one since before the patches.

Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to actually use that entrance (except to leave). You just get a message about how it's blocked up with boulders and you'll have to find another way in. As far as I can tell that portal is only there so people know there's a dungeon to get in to, and then they work out the whole learning Myconic and talking to 'port shrooms bit.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

onesixtwo posted:

Oh good to know. Yeah I spoke with one to get inside, then ended up outside in the corner, didn't try to re-enter as I was too low level at the time.

I've goofed around in the entry area since I have to go there anyway (animal-friendly vendor, some trainers I want to build favor with) and I can manage if I just pull one or two entry mobs back down the tunnel. After getting some skill ranks and iocaine shroom drops for a quest I thought "hey this isn't so bad, maybe I'll-"

About fifteen feet deeper into the tunnel I met a hostile mushroom person and about fifty assorted monsters immediately descended upon me. :gonk: On the bright side, I got a new cause of death and bonus Dying exp for it! Gorgon's dungeons seem really crowded in general, my partial exploration of the Crypt was similar. Things respawn fast and in huge, close numbers, it's crazy.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
If anyone's stuck on that stupid pig snout quest let me know, I've got some extras saved up in the bank. Just send a tell to Mraaj if I'm on.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I asked Mraaj if they had any pig snouts. They told me to meet behind the inn in a minute. Then a pig walks up to me and drops a pig snout on the ground :gonk:

It's the perfect disguise. :getin:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ratzap posted:

I kind of like the system of limited vendor cash but it can get annoying too.

Same here. But at least it offers another good reason to earn favor with NPCs that want expensive poo poo like gems. That stack of gems is worthless anyway if no one can buy it for six more days. :v: And now I can buy multiple tiers of ink and paper from that Sun Vale fairy, which is going to make continued gem-getting much easier.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the combat is better than what i remember from morrowind (nb i only played that game for like 2 hours)

I played a ton of Morrowind and the skill/level system is 110% better and combat is definitely also better (minus the ability to do really broken spellcrafting type stuff or use spears). Switching between spells in Morrowind is annoying as hell. I wish Gorgon gave you more spells per bar or the ability to have more bars, but it's still better.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Logged in to mess around on one of the alts I use as extra storage and discovered something interesting. You can bypass that horrible loving bear completely and learn/level Carpentry through one of Lawara's hang out options (the one about marionettes).

I believe animals can talk to Lawara(?), but the alternate method of learning Carpentry is still worthless to them since they can't harvest wood. Still, normal characters can skip that high-level death bear.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Fairy outside Serbule has 19 saltpeter in the used tab right now, if anyone needs the stuff.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Is anyone planning a Crypt run anytime soon? I'd like to get my hands on a spider potion + belt for an alt, and maybe learn necromancy on my main just to try it out. Mraaj is currently a level 26 Pig + 20 Animal Handling / 14 Mentalism / 18 Psychology so I think (hope) I wouldn't be dead weight along the way. Yeah, I haven't really settled on one secondary yet. :buddy:

That said I'm a lot more interested in the potion and belt than I am in making my main a necromancer, so if y'all go on a run when I'm not online I'd be happy to cover item cost + tip if someone could bring me those. I assume cost is about the same as other potions and belts, anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Oops, yeah, I just meant the spider one. AFAIK spiders don't have any paired skill belts like werewolves do.

Also since all I want are the spider goodies, I surrender all corpse looting rights if we go in a group.