Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
In this as LatinaPrincess; and despite how janky everything about it is, the game is fairly good if seemingly intensely grindy. Any tips from people who have been playing a bit longer would be appreciated, too.

wtsnaename fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I think the intent is to force you to cooperate with other tradeskill er rather than build all of those skills up yourself. It's still rough that way, but not nearly as bad if you have two other people supporting your masochism.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Here is a thing I guess I'll work on if people so desire it. Of course everything would have to be manually entered and I'm just not smart or well versed enough to implement some sort of packet sniffer to retrieve the stats automatically.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Look up latinaprincess ingame tonight, in like 7 or 8 hours, if youre on glug. I have like 25 or something for you, if it helps at all.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I've come back to corpses all the time without that happening. Is it only when you physically click loot?

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
When your aoe clear gets faster you'll be able to speed run that poo poo no problem. All it took for my fire mage to get past that was a couple sulfur, honestly.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I have around 50 spare fire dust, and I'm willing to bet I'll collect a fair bit more due to where I'm currently farming. I can give some away but gold donations would be absolutely stellar because I am very poor. Look up Latinaprincess in game. (Usually around late night-early morning est)

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
There's a "/who all" command that lists everyone on the server, as well.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Mushrooms are also really good for various favor items. Heartshrooms are good by themselves for a few vendors, and you can double up by bartering them 1:1 for diamonds or enchanted holly seeds, 2hich trade to the same vendor for equal value potions.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
All tradeskill seem like an incredible terrifying grind. Trying to get Leatherworking to an appreciable level has straight up taken two days of killing cows and begging a max level skinning knife off a maxed out player, will require a fair amount of time, about 80k councils, tannins notwithstanding, and a high level of favor. All in order to gain modest skinning and tanning skill. Then the real leatherworking begins, which requires high surveying and geology to make anything worthwhile. But all that said it's a good goal to strive for, because most people aren't masochistic dedicated enough to max it. Or at least that's what I tell myself.

Basically with regard to gear crafting, is there any way we could make a concerted effort to catalogue the different equipment skill modifiers so that we can determine good gear and the available modifiers in any given slot? If nothing else it'd be good to have a reference point.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
That sounds suspiciously like something you may want to report, honestly.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I couldn't even tell you at this point, I'm on vacation without any access to a pc. I do know I've progressed past the point of leather I need for what I can craft (rough) so other than rough animal skins and large amounts of money there's n9thinh I could ask for; though I guess if you have either of those or Shoddy skins and nothing to do with them I'll take them off your hands.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
What belt are you referring to specifically? The rest, when I get back home, should be fairly doable; whether you're dead weight or not.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!

mushroom_spore posted:

I love spamming surveys, though I tend to just do the level 5 over and over again to keep my three characters supplied with teleport fuel and valuable vendor trash. However, Scuttle is gonna need moonstones for the spider's illusion power, so he'll be working on higher tier stuff and you're welcome to the metal I won't use anyway. :dance:

Save me any gems along the way that directly affect your combat skills and I'll try my hand at making some armor for you, too. And lots of quartz, please.

Ps. Glug, you can buy tier 1 metals in the myconian cave from either Mu or Way, don't remember which.

wtsnaename fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 15, 2015

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Patch is up and made some qol changes especially wrt crafting and gathering level curves and production. Also some other crap, but that's what I care about.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Glug I got some trophy skins for you in return, I think.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Hammer seems like a fairly decent set anyway honestly. ;)

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Toolcrafting allows access to Quality Spring Fairy gear at 50, for which the stats, iirc, are nature resistance and something else, I think. It's fairly nice stuff. As well, I believe it is responsible for all single-skill belts, animal-specific armors; and obviously all tools. It's kind of a catch-all skill and I'm pretty glad Glug picked it up.

Also, if you need fire dust, sulfur, or saltpeter, just contact LatinaPrincess in game.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
You may be charting into unknown waters with regard to animal handling. I don't know any other goons who are messing with it, and personally I hate pets. All I can tell you is that you pick up cat training at AH 20 in south eastern Eltibule.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I can guide the way to necro altar in my sleep basically If anyone needs. Also I'm finding mentalism a stronger choice than druid to pair with fire magic, but I have a feeling battle chemistry may be even better. Necromancy may leave you pretty power drained; which is my current problem with druid. Also, the great strength in its root can be replicated fairly well with the frostball slow, which stacks to 99.9%, apparently.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I have Leatherworking maxed as far as recipes go, so as long as I'm around you're better off avoiding the atrocious sink in time and money. You're welcome to give it a shot but there's very little pay off. I'm currently working on maxing tailoring, too, but it is a very very slow process. If you'd like to help the effort you can grow me cotton, though. I need about 4000 at this point.

LatinaPrincess in game

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Blacksmithing doesn't make any gear outside of cow/deer/pig shoes, and both Glug and I are about halfway with it. You're looking for toolcrafting, Leatherworking, and tailoring. Spider harnesses can be made with toolcrafting and our man Glug here has the skill to. Primaries outside of staves and offhands are the exclusive domain of drops at the moment.

Keep your skills updated on the spreadsheet and I can probably make you something though.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
There are a few ways to cheat death. There's a first aid skill at 40 or 45, words of power above tier 3, and an item called eternal greens to rez yourself.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
It's a straight up rez.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
You gain inventory space by having pockets on or added to your armor, which I can do for the requisite cotton, or gaining specific levels in endurance. I don't think there's another permanent way, but you can also use storage boxes to maintain crated inventory (up to 16 slots per box), and use power words to add up to 100 slots for an hour.

Bananas require 45 foraging, but they also drop from bears and panthers level 30 and up.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Buy the myconic primer from Azalak the mantis outside the most northern home in Serbule, grind it up to ten or fifteen or something harvesting mushrooms in the sewer, then interact with the large mushrooms that spring up around northwestern Serbule.

I'd probably be willing to buy all the mushrooms and dirt you could farm there. Though after hitting 50 tailoring I've found that outside of putting pockets on stuff, tailoring is almost totally useless by comparison of other craftables; which is really, really disappointing for how much time and money I invested to get there.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
That person tossing surveys is likely Vzi. He/She is an incredibly veteran player, by the way, and worth speaking to.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I'm on the test server, so I can answer that.

It's not quite there yet. The transition is definitely taking some time. A lot of textural and lighting issues, mostly, are keeping things from moving along. There's also some minor additions beyond that. Things look really, really pretty by comparison though. The game is fantastic; just go ahead and join up.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I miss you Glug. Please be done with your things soon.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Just a quick reminder for anyone joining, or anyone who hasn't looked at the Skill Spreadsheet in a while. I threw inactive tags on prettymuch everybody because I haven't seen any of them in game for a while. That said, the game itself is still pretty active, so if you're thinking about jumping in, definitely do so, and add your name to that aforementioned sheet.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Well, in regards to the new kickstarter video; I'm fairly certain Citan(Eric) isn't who voiced it over; which is ridiculous. Just hop to some point in this video:

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/1232630/video-432237-h264_high.mp4

That's him; as you can see from some googling. I think Silvonus voiced the latest video over (And likely directed or recorded all of it himself) and holy lord do I hope they scrap and start over anew with Unity 5 graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCWxEZ9mYQU

This is his first video diary of project gorgon. Way, way more listenable than that god-awful video they're "previewing"

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
My general take on Animal Handling (AKA Leveling Old Fangworth to 50 because he is objectively the only good choice) is that it has a massive deficiency in regard to handling multiple targets, which is generally the focus of late game combat; but performs respectably in single target scenarios.

It's almost entirely a novelty; but can provide some spike dps for weapon-dependent skills that don't otherwise have any. With that being said, however, any real utility derived from animal handling requires setting up pieces of a gear for it, which dramatically reduces its usefulness when compared to something like shield (dependent) or psychology (independent), of which neither actually requires gear investment to be a worthwhile secondary skill bar.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
It's alright bro mine did too. Wedding is getting too close, and work has me on stupid hours. Maybe at some point I'll come back but I can't see it in the near future.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Before I dropped off the face of the earth I found out that staves are one of the single best, if not unmatched in, soloing the highest tier content in the game. That said it's slow going especially without the right gear and the right secondary skill to back it up.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Go with shield or mentalism and there's really nothing else. Shield's way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!

2DCAT posted:

The game is definitely fun, but it's a but of a grind. I'm still having fun, but worry that once the novelty wears off and nostalgia starts to go away, that the grind becomes a bit more annoying/apparent.

Just a heads up. I don't know much beyond level 50 because I haven't played and don't intend to for a long while due to a job promotion and getting married, but the grind actually becomes a lot more bearable as more revenue streams open up (Leatherworking, Carpentry, Cooking, a couple combat skills to farm all the mats) and as you make better things with those tradeskills, generally, your ability to farm favor is exponentially increased. The climb to the top of skills becomes much easier, if a bit more time consuming.

That said; yes, PG is basically a series of leveling treadmills with a sort of laterally affected Diablo style loot system. It has its flaws, but it is a pretty good game.