Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Because they're cinematic experiences, not challenges

Looper posted:

Play Platinum games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cowman posted:

Other than Platinum games I can't really think of a final boss fight that was worthwhile. Oh wait, Shadow of the Colossus had a great final boss fight.

Japanese developers generally seem more at ease putting mechanics at the forefront and designing games around cool encounters and challenges rather easily completable 'content' and scripted sequences, I think western bossfights being bad is to an extent just a side effect of western games having trash, boring design all over, especially as most of the honourable exceptions (Baldur's Gate, Metroid Prime, Doom to name a few) are design heavy games themselves

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I kinda liked Syphon Filter's approach to bosses where they were as either as easy to drop as regular enemies but had special win conditions, like take them down with a stealth KO or survive against them long enough for your support team to defuse the dead man switch they're holding, or they're invulnerable to conventional attacks for plausible in-game reasons and were more more environmental puzzle challenges. Granted some of them weren't fantastic in execution but it was a great idea and would be a cool thing to see more realistic action games experiment with again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Someone is my family is very disabled and can't control games that require more user imput/reaction time than pokemon and he's very bummed that getting passed the title screen is all he's capable of in most games because he grew up loving them before his motor control devolved to where it is now. Games should have accessibility modes including playing themselves to completion so that users can decide how they want to experience the content they bought. make these modes not count for unlocking content in standard play and not count for trophies or whatever if you care about the sanctity of gaming or whatever.

Designing every game to 'play itself to completion' would be a significant and costly effort in alot of cases. It's definitely a worthy goal to aim for and stuff like automatic easy in Bayonetta is great for that reason, but I wouldn't hold up every game, especially those made by smaller studios, to that standard. How could Team Meat have made Super Meatboy disabled-user friendly on the budget they had? They could've included a prerecorded playthrough for each level I guess but how would that functionally be any different to looking up an LP of it on youtube?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I agree but I'm not disabled, so I'm not really gonna judge if they want a 'press a to win' mode

If you're physically capable and still use that stuff, you're probably a gigantic baby though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ernie Muppari posted:

i also have verys torng opoions on how people play Games

modders and people who have house rules for monoply are the scum of the earth and ruining Gaming

edit: Gaming and Games should hva e captical gs because they are quite importand

He's talking about game designers, not game players. As in 'If this bit was so bad/superfluous a significant number of people want to skip it, why was it in the game?'

• Locked thread