Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Alain Post posted:

are there any FPSes with final bosses that you'd actually call good (instead of memorable, I guess? I freaking love Hans Grosse and Robo-Hitler but they aren't exactly the deepest fights in the history of FPS gaming)

I've always been partial to the Makron from Quake 2. That was a cool FPS boss fight, despite being a 'conventional' battle.

SunAndSpring posted:

So, I've been noticing a lot of video games recently seem to have two recurring flaws. One, they're too loving short and yet cost 50-60 dollars for some reason. But that's another topic. Two, all bosses or the very final boss is a Quick Time Event.

Dying Light? Your final fight is with an armless dude and you hit 10 buttons. Shadow of Mordor? You beat Sauron, the Lord of the god drat Rings, within the span of 10 seconds and 5 button presses. And I hear that The Order: 1886 also ends itself with a QTE instead of anything satisfying. I thought the whole point of a final fight was to use everything you learned in the game and have a good time. I don't understand how making you watch a cutscene where some goofy evil bastard who takes himself too seriously monologues and occasionally you have to press the A or X button a few times is fun. Do you guys know why this is the case? Is it really that hard for people to beat a video game that they gotta make the bosses easy?

Personally I think there's been a general downward slide in boss battles over time. It used to be that it took a lot of skill, patience and practice to beat bosses - they were a test of just how good you were at the game and you had to pay constant attention to dodge their attacks and get in hits of your own.

Then I found a lot of them changed to 'puzzle bosses', which were completely invulnerable to anything but a bunch of very specific environmental things (which conveniently were located in their lairs) and the whole battle was a total cakewalk once you figured out what you needed to do to kill it.

And now they're at QTEs, which is like a puzzle boss but without the puzzle part.

I honestly don't understand the downward slide either, other than people not liking a challenge.

You could just play my Warcraft III campaign, OP. I didn't wuss out on the boss battles in that one.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread