Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

have western games ever had good boss fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the final boss of Modern JRPG Classic Tales of Xillia 2 was cool because hes basically just a boxer and you even had to fight him like a boxing match - stick and move, because if you let him get a clean hit in on you you were going down.

most of the other tales games have decent final bosses too. graces's is a little overcomplicated in terms of the gimmick but still a fun fight

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

I've also seen articles where game journalists get upset at the concept of a boss fight. I wonder if that contributes to anything. I bet if I posted this on some shithole like NeoGAF or The Escapist, I'd find idiots coming out of the woodwork to say "Oh, boss fights aren't cinematic. They're a relic of the past."
as usual, idiots have taken a fairly reasonable concept (not every game needs boss fights, and trying to shoehorn them in can lead to really awkward and hilarious writing) and stretched it to a ridiculous extreme that no one can agree with (no game should have boss fights)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alain Post posted:

are there any FPSes with final bosses that you'd actually call good (instead of memorable, I guess? I freaking love Hans Grosse and Robo-Hitler but they aren't exactly the deepest fights in the history of FPS gaming)
can i say that the citadel is the final boss of half life 2

• Locked thread