Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Alain Post posted:

I think it works in MGR since you already get button prompts for finishing moves in the base game anyway, so it doesn't feel as awkward.

MGR did a good job of matching the QTEs to the normal inputs. I can think of a few weird ones like pressing the jump button to kick Armstrong out of his elbow drop, but most of them work better than that. Blade mode was also really good for that because it let them use a dynamic and familiar game mechanic in the middle of a QTE, instead of just playing simon says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

K8.0 posted:

Modern boss fights suck because actual game design, coming up with and implementing good mechanics, is no longer a part of most games. If you don't have solid fundamentals, there's nothing to build something climactic that requires you to combine all the techniques you've learned, the resources you've gathered, the executional improvements you've made into a demanding and enjoyable challenge.

I know this is reductive but I'm kind of feeling it. I don't see a single core mechanic in let's say Assassin's Creed that is dynamic enough that they can really "test" you on it; if you place your guy within the collision frame and press the right button he will rictus into the same canned animation in the same way as every other time. it's not something like Mario where split-second differences in your inputs affect trajectory and momentum in a way that a player can get significantly better at manipulating.

• Locked thread