Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Tengames posted:

Speaking of the TS, I wasn't sure in the update but do you actually pick up the other person's TS and start playing it to transfer ooyama to your game? can you check his mail or anything when you have it?
While you could, I'm fairly certain his email is just empty. And yeah, if you look super close Panzer made sure to sneak in an additional sub on that screen to make it known it was a different TS.

Also, I'm not sure if I stated it in the video but this particular chapter of the game is the first part where a cursed cartridge requires a very specific step to get. And that's that you have to play the game on the 13th of the month. If you do that then a cartridge will appear before you head down into the basement of the house.

Finally, I'm still amazed at just how randomly the game decides to do interesting visual things in the 3D 'real world' parts:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Double posting like I ain't give a gently caress.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Goddamn possessed copy machines. Those are a real yet insufficiently publicized job hazard. Or is that a garbage can?

Or is there any difference?!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Nice to see this game is just as heavy on the 7s and 4s as the previous one. :v:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
From how I read it, Ren had said that Ooyama was the older brother?

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Yeah, Davey's story isn't that he's the older brother, but that he's looking for his older brother.

asymmetrical posted:

I really want to compliment the work done on the corrupted text. It really added to the atmosphere.

A bit late commenting on this here, but the translation/graphics work is well enough done that I had actually forgotten that it wasn't in-game until I saw this post, and had a moment of surprise as i remembered.

Enjoying the LP a lot.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Thesaya posted:

From how I read it, Ren had said that Ooyama was the older brother?

KillerEggplant posted:

Yeah, Davey's story isn't that he's the older brother, but that he's looking for his older brother.
Yeah, that was my bad in retrospect...though honestly these cover stories are all pointless since these places usually don't have any reason for a cover story.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I liked the upside-down bathrobe ghost, they seem like a pretty cool guy, and it was cool to have the ghosts coming at you from a different angle than you'd encountered up to that point. I hope this means we'll have some wall-walking ghosts show up too. That one instance where it was coming at you and you had to back up super quickly was actually really nice. Weird that their hair was falling down in a gravity-affected kind of way but nothing else was.

So, I have a question, actually. How exactly do you get a game over in this game? Judging from your game-world deaths, there doesn't seem to actually be a penalty for getting killed there. Hell, it was even necessary to get that one cursed cartridge. Can you only game-over-die in the real world parts of the game?

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, that was my bad in retrospect...though honestly these cover stories are all pointless since these places usually don't have any reason for a cover story.

I liked your version better.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

yokaiy posted:

I liked the upside-down bathrobe ghost, they seem like a pretty cool guy, and it was cool to have the ghosts coming at you from a different angle than you'd encountered up to that point. I hope this means we'll have some wall-walking ghosts show up too. That one instance where it was coming at you and you had to back up super quickly was actually really nice. Weird that their hair was falling down in a gravity-affected kind of way but nothing else was.

I suddenly remembered those annoying ghosts from Deadly Premonition.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

yokaiy posted:

So, I have a question, actually. How exactly do you get a game over in this game? Judging from your game-world deaths, there doesn't seem to actually be a penalty for getting killed there. Hell, it was even necessary to get that one cursed cartridge. Can you only game-over-die in the real world parts of the game?
You just get grabbed by a regret; which is a lot easier to do than I'm making it seem. Take for instance the regret that spawns in the hotel in that super lavish bedroom; the reason I inch towards the bed is because the radius for that regret is much larger than it seems. And that basement portion...that can be super stressful if you are just bumbling about. But yeah, this game is pretty much like the first one where only the 'real world' portions have possible deaths.

Atleast, as far as I know; there are a few circumstances where there are ummmm not normal ways to die in the RPG. Like after we get Ooyama from his cyber house, if you go too slow then there is an encroaching shadow that will get you and that might cause an actual death?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
As far as I'm aware, getting overrun by the static just causes you to redo the sequence from the beginning (that is, just after the conversation is finished). I might be misremembering again, it's been a while.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

And now we're at the half way point in the game and this is also where we start getting a whole lotta plot.

Also I do apologize but I did miss one of those flashback books, but you didn't really miss anything worthwhile. Just that the group was collecting body parts and it cursed one of their members. And I did miss getting a body part in the video, but I went back to get it later. You keep have to access the RPG in the library.

I'm terrible at games.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
This is what the TS's function should've been for the entirety of the game instead of at predetermined points/updates, that's actually really cool.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Aw, you didn't show off one of the more amusing rooms in the school. A lot of them have paper on the walls with various words/kanji on them, but the red room has something else:

All of them are covered in various painted-on "死"s, meaning "death"; it's one of the garbage symbols that shows up at random in the game, and is also on the game's TS icon. I also wonder if any of the RPG Regrets had anything to say, but probably not. Akane's version of the RPG is also the old "bench on a cliff" version, so it looks as if this event has created a second "version" of the game, almost, that changes itself based on the player.

Aside from that, Ren seems to have done some research on the game, so it's kind of a surprise she would take the same path that the girl from the first game did on her final day. And I really wonder what her RPG was going on about, what with "big sister" and the fire...

With Ren gone, though, I wonder who will be sending us the customary mail at the start of the next chapter. Especially considering that, unlike the first game, we only get one or two a day, it seems.

Thank you for the update. It was probably a lot of work, considering this chapter is nearly an hour long!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah, that was a long update! I enjoyed it quite a bit. Made the rest of work go by quickly today.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Ren seemed to be suggesting during the conversation at the start of the update that someone whose consciousness went into the game might be able to stop it, and vaguely implying that maybe she was thinking about going into the game. I guess this explains why - her time was already up. Maybe we'll still be getting emails from her after all?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Finally got to finish watching that update and, uh, very curious what was up with that giant at the end. I was kind of hoping we'd be thrown a curveball and Ren's experience with the train would end differently than the first game. And...it kind of did? I don't remember that happening to the girl in the first game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Lotish posted:

Finally got to finish watching that update and, uh, very curious what was up with that giant at the end. I was kind of hoping we'd be thrown a curveball and Ren's experience with the train would end differently than the first game. And...it kind of did? I don't remember that happening to the girl in the first game.
Yeah, Riko's train ride was in all honesty a bit more peaceful than Ren's ended up being. Also, even with a translation and having played through the rest of the game....I'm never quite certain if they explain who that large regret is. Hell, me and Panzer still aren't really agreed if that's even a man or a woman regret.

Still, I'm hoping that the story is coming along a little bit better than the first game's. I think that the sequel has a much better story to tell and much better pacing. Especially with the knowledge we have now that the story we were seeing in those flashbacks and with our 'avatars' were in fact that story of a completely different set of people. It also makes you wonder that if Ren had such a unique experience, I wonder what Yuuto was having to deal with; especially considering it doesn't seem like the first game where everyone was just playing through the same cursed scenario.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, Riko's train ride was in all honesty a bit more peaceful than Ren's ended up being. Also, even with a translation and having played through the rest of the game....I'm never quite certain if they explain who that large regret is. Hell, me and Panzer still aren't really agreed if that's even a man or a woman regret.

Oh, no no, I agree with you now that it's a woman after watching it again. I really would love to figure out who the hell she's supposed to be. I'm also really glad we have the return of the slap bass chase scene, because that music was one of my favorite parts from Nanashi 1. :allears:

Also I still can't get over what a complex level the school is in comparison to just about every level we saw in the first game. There is just so much stuff to do and see here.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And we, what, just hit the halfway mark? Three days left. Either it's a rush to the finish or it's going to keep getting bigger and more involved.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Lotish posted:

And we, what, just hit the halfway mark? Three days left. Either it's a rush to the finish or it's going to keep getting bigger and more involved.
Yup; we've gotten the basic setup for the mystery. Next update I'll probably just post both paths at once (since they are super similar) and we'll get a whole lot more story....and then things get a little crazy.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

And then things get a little crazy? Man, I am so looking forward to this. It's quite a ride.

I agree with Panzer Skank - I really like that slap bass chase music.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
That was pretty amazing all around so far. I think the giant regret at the end was the brown haired guy who was taunting her. Not her friend, the other one whos name I forget. Merely going by the fact that its brown hair on both of em. Also wanted to echo that the translations and subtitles are fantastic as is the LP proper.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Wow, that update was great. :allears:

I really liked how Akane (and Akane 2.0) were actually a red herring for the curse -- at first I thought that she'd be the cause of the curse, with the red version being all vengeful and angry, and the pale version being all remorseful and wanting to rest in peace. I still think that's mostly the case, but now we've seen that she and her friends were probably victims as well, not the cause of things. And that is awesome. Her final moments were really cool, though, and I think they did a great job with setting her up as a sympathetic character for the 5 mins we get to play as her for.

Initially, I was disappointed that it looked like Ren was gonna go the same was as Riko, but then the hunched-over regret happened, and I forgive them completely. That was super cool. Maybe that ghost is the one responsible for the curse? Wish we coulda seen more of Ren's version of the game too.

MyNameIsAlex
Dec 26, 2011

By jungle law
the ghost who walks
calls forth the strength of ten tigers
Slap bass improves everything really.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Ah, I'm confused now. :shobon: I watched Ghost Car's Nanashi 1 LP forever ago, so it seems the game isn't as fresh in my memory as many other's. Is there a chance for a summary of that game, and what story threads Nanashi 2 is picking up and playing with?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

asymmetrical posted:

Ah, I'm confused now. :shobon: I watched Ghost Car's Nanashi 1 LP forever ago, so it seems the game isn't as fresh in my memory as many other's. Is there a chance for a summary of that game, and what story threads Nanashi 2 is picking up and playing with?
Well I'd say you could always watch the LP I just finished of the first game ;), but there's a certain parallel between that story's love interest and this story's love interest in so much that they both disappeared under unpleasant circumstances on a subway without having told the main character that they were under the curse.

But the overall gist of the story was that a father was working hard on a video game, a pet project of sorts, that would show how much he loved his family. The problem was that the developer he worked at was run by someone who felt that this gift to his family wouldn't properly sell and that funneling the company's time and resources was a massive waste...to the point where it drove the director of the company to an extreme solution. That solution being the murder of the guy's family (who's name is Ikuta and who Ren was trying to find). So Ikuta's wife is murdered and his daughter witnesses the murder, and she runs away. The murderer's true identity is never known to Ikuta and Ikuta's daughter despises her father, and this game that took up all of his attention.

So Ikuta's daughter dies under unknown circumstances and her grudge against the game causes her spirit to become latched onto her father's unfinished game. People start to spread this cursed game through sheer curiosity (much like the cursed video in the Ringu) and people start to die from the game. And our hero from the first game goes through a number of hurdles to figure out the mystery of the Ikuta family, which is pretty much the above. The thing though is that Ikuta's daughter is set free and the curse of the game should be stopped...but it appears that there were more people affected by the game, and it's this second group that seems to have some connection to the new curse in the game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's nothing more terrifying than a giant woman

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So I've decided to just post both of these updates at the same time due to a very sad fact...and that's that even though there are branching paths, they aren't that exceptionally different (at least not in comparison to the previous branching paths). And that is sincerely a shame, because so far the idea has been executed pretty well and come across with some pretty interesting variations. But this is our final branching path and the only main difference is the backstory that is given at the end. Still we do get to figure out a lot more about Kenta and Naoki, and we get to cruise through a super bizarre cemetery. So it's a win-win situation.

Blockhouse posted:

There's nothing more terrifying than a giant woman
Yeah, from having worked with Panzer Skank a lot, I can attest to this being true.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Wow, they really did phone this one in. I didn't realize the dungeon sections were the exact same in both paths.

I wonder if this means that Akane's flashback actually had an already-dead Naoki regret attacking her, and not the living version, or if the flashback was actually entirely wrong.

If we're taking them around with us, though, do they show up in the same way Ooyama does, or is it basically just an event flag somewhere and they don't actually do anything?

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Hmmm. Rewatching Akane's flashback, I don't see anything that contradicts what Kenta and Naoki are saying - when she comes upstairs, Kenta is lying in a pool of blood, and Naoki is standing beside him all bloody; she assumes (not unreasonably, in context) that Naoki has done it. He says, "Akane ... I ... " and reaches out towards her, and the scene fades to black with a death/injury sound effect. It's entirely possible that she fell down the stairs while trying to get away from what she thought was a threat. Given that Kenta and Naoki's stories agree that it was the game that killed Kenta and not Naoki, I think it's reasonable to interpret the scene to mean that she thought he was threatening her or attacking her, but he was actually in shock and distressed and her fall was accidental.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Does it bother anyone else that the sunshine academy kids all have alliterative names? Is this game ghost written by Stan Lee?

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Am I seeing things or does that crap on the pillar between the shelf and windows look like left-eye ghost stuff?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That's what I thought earlier (I posted an image with that outlined in red). It stands out against most of the horizontal noise in the image.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

tomanton posted:

Am I seeing things or does that crap on the pillar between the shelf and windows look like left-eye ghost stuff?
I think it's really just an emulation error or the fact that I've upscaled the image so much for the video. I don't think it's anything to be read into.

On the note of reading into something though, I was wondering if people had any ideas about the dungeon under the cemetery. I still kinda think it's the game world manifesting itself somehow in the real world, but I suppose it could also have just been that way in real world terms (though I'm not overly familiar with torture dungeons being built right into cemeteries. I mean we have seen regrets and minor objects appearing from the game in the real world, but what if it could manifest something much larger and world altering.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I love the idea of the game world creating some sort of alternate reality in the real(?) world, and wouldn't be surprised if that's what's happening.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
You know, this isn't the first time I've seen this sort of thing in a game, or other media. It kind of makes me wonder if dungeons in caves is just a thing in Japan.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DeliciousCookie posted:

You know, this isn't the first time I've seen this sort of thing in a game, or other media. It kind of makes me wonder if dungeons in caves is just a thing in Japan.
Yeah, but to me the other games that has presented something similar has usually been in a fantasy realm. This game's real world sections normally do try to stay true to real world locations and settings; so suddenly falling down a well and ending up in a torture dungeon seemed ummmm super out of place? Especially since it's apparently only 4 in the afternoon as someone on youtube pointed out.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Niggurath posted:

Especially since it's apparently only 4 in the afternoon as someone on youtube pointed out.

It was also quite dark outside for that time of day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, but to me the other games that has presented something similar has usually been in a fantasy realm. This game's real world sections normally do try to stay true to real world locations and settings; so suddenly falling down a well and ending up in a torture dungeon seemed ummmm super out of place? Especially since it's apparently only 4 in the afternoon as someone on youtube pointed out.

4 in the afternoon? With four being an unlucky number, I wonder if they used that time of day on purpose.

• Locked thread