Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Zamujasa posted:

Didn't Ren die before she made it to Ikuta?

I guess he must have researched it on his own, after the initial phone call with Ren.
I'm wanting to say that at the end of the hospital they give the impression that Ren (much like Akane) is being kept alive somehow. So I don't think she's dead and even if she was, I think that she can still move about in cyberspace (kinda like how she freed us from the inn in the cemetery chapter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Did we miss a piece of the Faceless Body?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Did we miss a piece of the Faceless Body?
Yes and no. You can only collect them all via two play throughs due to the fact that there are two body parts on the same day down different paths. So there is something special waiting for us.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
I couldn't resist laughing at the climax when Red Akane was charging at you head on and then you side-stepped. And then keep on strafing. It'd look ridiculous if it's a movie :downs:

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
That strafing is a better strat than all the other methods I read about while browsing Japanese Nanashi wikis. I didn't know it would be so simple.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There needs to be a fan art of side stepping utterly confusing Japanese girl ghosts.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

CremePudding posted:

I couldn't resist laughing at the climax when Red Akane was charging at you head on and then you side-stepped. And then keep on strafing. It'd look ridiculous if it's a movie :downs:
Yeah, I do realize that I might have ruined a spooky boss fight but due to how I'm recording, Akane's semi-random movements would have been beyond a pain to properly avoid. Not to mention it's probably a lot harder than I make it seem; her teleporting can easily catch you off guard and her hit box is massive, and you end up having to dodge her for a particularly long time (which feels even longer when you're playing it and die right as you get an email since that throws you off even more).

If anyone is curious to get a possibly better view of how the boss fight goes, there is one other untranslated LP of the game on youtube and this is the boss fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53mpgIm-jxw&index=10&list=PL6346E703B71BFC3E&t=11m56s (beware of the audio being a bit bad)

Still, overall I enjoyed this final day a lot more than the first game's. It goes a much more fantastical route of entering a dream world to save your girlfriend's soul, while still having an amazing amount of tension without just slapping a timer on the screen to re-enforce that. I do kinda wish that the hiding mechanic had more to it, but at least it didn't go as long as talking to every NPC again to get unnecessary exposition like in the first game. I also found the resolution to Akane's story and the overall explanation more 'reasonable' than Asahi's; confusion and heartache brought on from a misunderstanding between friends makes a lot more sense than 'my boss went crazy and murdered my family cause he thought our game wouldn't sell'.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Davey simply employed the no-fail escape tactic of his people. It also explains why his POV is wonky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLgsXtWnNHs

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

tlarn posted:

Davey simply employed the no-fail escape tactic of his people. It also explains why his POV is wonky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLgsXtWnNHs

That would also explain why he's so slow while moving forward. And why his footsteps sound odd. You've cracked the mystery!

I'm going to go back and rewatch and enjoy the mental image now.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So if you were wondering how to get that cursed cartridge in the hospital, it seems that a lovely person on youtube actually managed to map it out and boy howdy it's as insane as I thought it would be.

And here's a helpful video I made to show you how tedious it is!

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
How the hell are you supposed to figure that out? There must be a file somewhere that everyone has missed, no way that is just trial and error.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Well, to be fair, each tile only has two potential extra routes, and you can ignore all the ones that would touch the main path again by necessity. Everything that would point you toward the middle and everything that would end up sending you down the right side from the upper half of the screen is out, so once you've mapped out the maze you only need to check 32 tiles. That's not...so many.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Does collecting all cartridges accomplish anything plot-wise, or is it just a Thing You Can Do?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dotchan posted:

Does collecting all cartridges accomplish anything plot-wise, or is it just a Thing You Can Do?
I've got another bonus video for that coming along with the final video. If you guys want, I can just go ahead and post the final video today.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
That path to the last cartridge must be something made for a Secret Tricks For Pro Gamers promo material or something.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Niggurath posted:

I've got another bonus video for that coming along with the final video. If you guys want, I can just go ahead and post the final video today.

Yes please!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Aight

It's pretty much what you'd expect.

dotchan posted:

And here's the bonus video for the cartridges

And as I stated, if you manage to collect all 30 and beat them all, you do get an additional cartridge to go through....here is a video of why I would never do that to myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buw9W3_daEk

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's a shame the series continued the way it did with those platformers. Still, thanks for a great LP.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That last level is something alright.

Also, as a small plot thing-- if the game can't hurt happy people, how did the Old Professor get infected? (Or maybe that's why he could live on in the game? :v:)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

SystemLogoff posted:

Also, as a small plot thing-- if the game can't hurt happy people, how did the Old Professor get infected? (Or maybe that's why he could live on in the game? :v:)
I think that the curse could take over anyone, but for the curse to live on in someone they have to be some vacuum of negative emotion. So I think it's the difference between any random Regret and Akane/Asahi.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

I think that unidentifiable thing on the floor of Davey's apartment is a roach motel. Vibrating with roaches.

For as bad as the final cartridge is, the music's pretty catchy. The comments for that video are interesting. Japanese and English comments both compare it to IWBTG, are surprised a commercial game would have such brutal difficulty, and admit there's no way in hell they can complete it.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Thank you very much for the fantastic LP, Niggurath! I'm a big fan of your overall style; niche, obscure or older horror games presented with a calm and informative overall tone. And I certainly agree that this game was better then the first one in quite a few ways, even if it had atrocious platforming. Do you get anything for beating the 31st cartridge?

Also, for a game on the DS, they certainly did a very good job in the overall presentation, I think. The environments were fairly well detailed and the atmosphere was much better then I ever thought a portable game could do. I wish we had more games based on urban legend as there is certainly no shortage of creatures or concepts to base a game off of.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

geeko55 posted:

Thank you very much for the fantastic LP, Niggurath! I'm a big fan of your overall style; niche, obscure or older horror games presented with a calm and informative overall tone. And I certainly agree that this game was better then the first one in quite a few ways, even if it had atrocious platforming. Do you get anything for beating the 31st cartridge?

Also, for a game on the DS, they certainly did a very good job in the overall presentation, I think. The environments were fairly well detailed and the atmosphere was much better then I ever thought a portable game could do. I wish we had more games based on urban legend as there is certainly no shortage of creatures or concepts to base a game off of.
As far as I know there's no reward for completing that final cartridge. Which is a shame considering how difficult it is to complete or even obtain.

Also I'm wondering which ending people like the best; the one where a magic software patch solves the problem, the one where the game has developed a sentient being of evil to endlessly feed on human negativity, or the one where everything has calmly ended but your lady friend is stuck happily in a coma. If anything I really did enjoy the bad ending as it kinda came out of left field (though there were hints throughout the RPG about this faceless king that had to be stopped) and continued on the theme that evil was an evolving beast that was just waiting for the next bit of human evolution (whether it be physical or technological) to keep itself present.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

The bad end is kinda neat since its actually foreshadowed to you in that missed cutscene when the party member says the effigy is actually a trap, and perhaps the villain might not actually be all that powerful (since it's completely helpless without someone to possess).

The other one is a bit open ended, since the game still exists and might keep trying to kill Davey while ooyama is still figuring stuff out and might even find a way to save ren.(did the app or any other sequel follow the main game's story or were they all about different people who got cursed?)

I kinda like the end where you don't try to save Ren, if only because when you do try, you kinda just stand there and get yourself killed, when it felt like you should have been able to do something with the game to stop it. dealing with the manifestation of the game and not actually doing anyting with the gameworld itself (like having it teleport you to the rpg's final boss room) is a bit of an anticlimax.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 30, 2015

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

I really like the game loving coming to life to strangle you to death, because I sure as hell didn't see it coming. That ending is messed up and crazy.

Also I thought I might as well post the image I made for the background of the episode banners in the op. Just a real quick little painting of the girls from that scene in the hospital, but I'm still happy with how it came out !

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Niggurath posted:

As far as I know there's no reward for completing that final cartridge. Which is a shame considering how difficult it is to complete or even obtain.
About that final cartridge, where behind Ooyama's house does it appear?

quote:

Also I'm wondering which ending people like the best; the one where a magic software patch solves the problem, the one where the game has developed a sentient being of evil to endlessly feed on human negativity, or the one where everything has calmly ended but your lady friend is stuck happily in a coma. If anything I really did enjoy the bad ending as it kinda came out of left field (though there were hints throughout the RPG about this faceless king that had to be stopped) and continued on the theme that evil was an evolving beast that was just waiting for the next bit of human evolution (whether it be physical or technological) to keep itself present.

How well does "save the curse to a game cartridge/physical-media-that-may-or-may-not-be-obsolete and it's stuck there" work?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

I don't blame Ooyama for bailing if you fall for the most obvious trap ever. He already knows nothing good will come of it. Going into the game to deal with it would be kind of impossible, since it comes out to meet you instead.

The bad ending is considered by fans to be the true ending, since it's the longest, and just says "THE END" afterwards with nothing attached. I can totally accept the true ending being that the world is pretty much screwed, because Japanese horror. Being helpless and unable to fight back fits in with that, too. I do like how the game attained sentience from Asahi's grudge, though. It projects facets of her hatred through Akane as well, with the "I hate everyone who plays games" stuff. Now it's this glitch-infested, soul-devouring malevolent entity.

Panzer Skank posted:

I really like the game loving coming to life to strangle you to death, because I sure as hell didn't see it coming. That ending is messed up and crazy.

Also I thought I might as well post the image I made for the background of the episode banners in the op. Just a real quick little painting of the girls from that scene in the hospital, but I'm still happy with how it came out !

I love the glitch effects on Red Akane.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I would totally play a sequel where everyone (with a TS) is cursed by the game to die in seven days.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

It's a tough choice for favorite ending for me. On the one hand, the living manifestation of evil and glitchy-ness of the final area in the 'True Ending' was actually something that I hadn't seen in horror before. It was unique and honestly pretty cool. But I'm a huge sucker for happy endings, and the best outcome was ignoring the call to go outside and leaving Ren to stay comatose. It's not exactly 'good', but it sure does seem better then some unimaginable evil living forever, moving from victim to victim as long as they have a DS.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
I don't like the true end mostly for the lack of reaction at the game's hate rant from the player. It'd feel more natural if the Davey says something stubborn about saving Ren instead of staying silent from start to finish. Instead, it's like Davey had a sudden fit of stupidity and sleep-walked into the trap :downs:

The other problem is that the game immediately start to speak the moment you get out of Ren's room, it feels like the game can bend reality enough to try ensnaring you anyway even if you say no unless you plan to stay in the room forever and starve to death or something.

On the other hand you can see it coming somewhat given how everyone kept saying the game being manipulative.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Personally, I think the ending with Ren still in a coma is the "best" ending. The curse is broken, and while Ren is lost we at least know that she hasn't had her soul corrupted by the game. However, given that more effort was put into the bad ending it seems that J-horror conventions win out. Nobody ever beats a curse in these kinds of stories.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

I would totally play a sequel where everyone (with a TS) is cursed by the game to die in seven days.

Both endings really seem to set up for a sequel,as well as a few other things, like Ooyama and everyone's soul/conciousness still being inside of the cursed game.
Looking back on that cutscene I mentioned, one of the npcs says the "hero" who defeated the demon king the first time was cursed to lose his soul, and vanished to parts unknown. The bad ending in this game also shows that despite beating the game in seven days, it can still very much kill you, personally even.

So, I wonder whatever happened to the protagonist of the first game?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
The fact that the game can straight up Silent-Hill your living space indicates that it didn't really matter how you responded, you hosed anyway.

J-Horror!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm really sad that the series pretty much seems to have petered out after the lovely platforming games were released. I loving loved the bad ending in terms of execution and style, although I prefer personally prefer the good ending.

J-Horror being 100% "gently caress you you're screwed no matter what" is an understandable but obnoxiously nihilistic view of fate. Yes, it sucks, it doesn't mean you can't fight against it. I'd like the humans to be on the winning side for once.

I also probably would have switched the credits BGM. I just think they'd work better in each other's place.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I'm really sad that the series pretty much seems to have petered out after the lovely platforming games were released. I loving loved the bad ending in terms of execution and style, although I prefer personally prefer the good ending.

J-Horror being 100% "gently caress you you're screwed no matter what" is an understandable but obnoxiously nihilistic view of fate. Yes, it sucks, it doesn't mean you can't fight against it. I'd like the humans to be on the winning side for once.

I also probably would have switched the credits BGM. I just think they'd work better in each other's place.
I'm not entirely sure if that jazzy version of the theme would have fit in any ending properly and that makes it all the more better. I had to fight the want to do an a cappella version of it myself.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Don't forget that there actually was a real entry in the series, the phone game, which is actually kind of neat. The platforming game that the US got is complete crap, though.

If you want to get creative, you could say that the game's ability to bend and manipulate reality requires a victim; by saying no, Ren succeeds by protecting you and everyone else. If you say yes, then it's feasible that the game told Ren about this, and her negative emotions increase knowing that you are sacrificing yourself to the most idiotic trap possible; and from there, the game can leech off of her, which also explains why things get progressively worse as you travel further.

(I also like to think that the faceless effigy is itself parts of the game; hence the e-mail when you don't have them all, "where is my body", and then it changing once you have all of the various parts. But of course, this is all just fun speculation.)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Zamujasa posted:

The platforming game that the US got is complete crap, though.
The game wanted the US audience to suffer so that it could migrate.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

(I also like to think that the faceless effigy is itself parts of the game; hence the e-mail when you don't have them all, "where is my body", and then it changing once you have all of the various parts. But of course, this is all just fun speculation.)

I always thought it was kind of a backup plan by the game, to leave its mark on the player or something vague like that. I like your explaination about the Yes/No choice though.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I misjudged this game, it actually took the story to some interesting places. A quality product. Thanks for the LP niggurath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Going by the thread responses, some of you seem to think Davey is some kind of Bestubbled Mighty Action Hero-Man or maybe a robot (also with stubble), instead of an average college kid that got creeped out multiple times throughout the story. In the bad ending, I think the protagonist was compelled to follow the entity's directions because he wanted to save Ren that badly (even though the game fails to establish how much he apparently cares, but let's roll with it). I think it's safe to assume Davey wasn't going to make stoic and logical decisions when he was surrounded by glitchy curse-noise, with the game telling him it was going to kill him in front of his girlfriend, so her soul would get all twisted and allow the entity to inhabit her body and murder everyone.

• Locked thread