Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I'd just like to say that it shows admirable restraint on the part of the developers that not once did either game go "but actually the real cursed game IS THE ONE YOU ARE PLAYING RIGHT NOW AND NOW YOU THE PLAYER ARE CURSED WOooOoO!" :v:

Great LP of a hidden little horror gem and more awesome props to the translation team. Honestly there were several parts throughout the LP that I forgot Niggurath wasn't playing an officially-translated game. Great job everyone. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So it's assumed that it's Ren who sent out that body email in the Good Ending?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
As someone already said, it's probably more likely the glitch ghost thing, whose body you apparently collect over the course of the game to get the other endings.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I do like that the secret extended ending is (almost certainly) a worse ending.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Sindai posted:

I do like that the secret extended ending is (almost certainly) a worse ending.

I know, right? In the first game, you had to collect all the secret pieces to get the good ending. This one, unless you found that one book, tricks you to thinking the same thing.

Hats off to the developers. Any plans on doing the app game?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

dijon du jour posted:

I'd just like to say that it shows admirable restraint on the part of the developers that not once did either game go "but actually the real cursed game IS THE ONE YOU ARE PLAYING RIGHT NOW AND NOW YOU THE PLAYER ARE CURSED WOooOoO!" :v:

They did that back at the end of the first game :ssh:

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

Great LP of a hidden little horror gem and more awesome props to the translation team. Honestly there were several parts throughout the LP that I forgot Niggurath wasn't playing an officially-translated game. Great job everyone. :golfclap:

I *did* forget. Hats off to the translator! :woop:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
^^^^^^^
That's all thanks to rat/how ingratiating and panzer for doing such a great job on presenting on that front. Hopefully the romhacker will come through in the end and actually use our rat's script to patch the rom so others can play it as well.

RadicalR posted:

I know, right? In the first game, you had to collect all the secret pieces to get the good ending. This one, unless you found that one book, tricks you to thinking the same thing.

Hats off to the developers. Any plans on doing the app game?
If you mean the one that was released in America, Panzer already showed that one off earlier. If you're talking about the possibly good app game that wasn't released anywhere...well we might have found some place to get it but we're not entirely sure if it works and it'll be hard to show off either way as it's just the RPG sections with lots of untranslated Japanese.

And sadly the DSi games that came out with this game are kinda story-less, platforming garbage :(

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A nanashi-stype augmented reality smartphone game would be pretty awesome until you had people walk into traffic or fall down stairs or some poo poo trying to escape fake videogame ghosts.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Weird Nanashi related thing Niggurath and I were investigating last night:

There is a theme park in Japan called Fuji-Q Highland with a haunted house called SUPER SCARY LABYRINTH OF FEAR. At one point in 2009 they actually released a movie to promote the haunted house, and for some reason they had a tie in with Nanashi no Game during late 2008. They had some sort of flash game where you could get a keyword to use as your name in Nanashi, which unlocks a secret Fuji-q mode. This mode just adds extra nurse regrets in the hospital and not really anything else.

Here's a famitsu article on it (in japanese), that has a super interesting image:

That looks like the front desk of the hospital in Nanashi, right? With the weird chandeliers? Niggurath and I watched the movie last night to see if there were any overt references to the game, and while this did seem to be a set at some point they didn't really show it... at all. The movie sort of just sucks a lot, though I guess I shouldn't have expected much from what is basically a 90 minute ad for a theme park.

Edit: if anyone was curious and wanted to try the special mode in the first nanashi, I think the name you want to enter is CURSED. In japanese the name was ノロワレロ, which according to Rat means "GET CURSED". Love it.

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 31, 2015

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

The passwords, the stock injury sound effect being used on everything,and the constant use of 4/horror references are all great. I've never really seen many horror films (i was a wussy kid), but this game seems like a really nice homage to them.

Amazing work on The LP, especially the translating and editing.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013
Thanks for the LP and translation!

Personally, the worse ending is pretty weak in my opinion, it establishes that the game can take action in its own right, up to and including murder, but it chose not to act when its preferred hosts were threatened. At least they could have gone with a bait-and-switch, where Davey is convinced to torture the effigy to save Ren, but wouldn't you know that the game trick him into torturing Ren instead...

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Burzmali posted:

Thanks for the LP and translation!

Personally, the worse ending is pretty weak in my opinion, it establishes that the game can take action in its own right, up to and including murder, but it chose not to act when its preferred hosts were threatened. At least they could have gone with a bait-and-switch, where Davey is convinced to torture the effigy to save Ren, but wouldn't you know that the game trick him into torturing Ren instead...
I think that the game will actively try to defend it's host; Ooyama specifically tries to explain in the first game that's the purpose of Regrets and why the game was seemingly try to eliminate Davey ahead of time. I think what really might have thrown a monkey wrench into the game's scheme this time around is that the person it possessed had split; so there was a helpful portion of the game (the RPG sections) and the more aggressive game (platformer) as opposed to the first game, and other obvious splits. But I think that the game's biggest weakness as an entity is that it is just nothing without a host. It's a consciousness wafting through DS cyberspace and only has power when inside of a host.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Niggurath posted:

I think that the game will actively try to defend it's host; Ooyama specifically tries to explain in the first game that's the purpose of Regrets and why the game was seemingly try to eliminate Davey ahead of time. I think what really might have thrown a monkey wrench into the game's scheme this time around is that the person it possessed had split; so there was a helpful portion of the game (the RPG sections) and the more aggressive game (platformer) as opposed to the first game, and other obvious splits. But I think that the game's biggest weakness as an entity is that it is just nothing without a host. It's a consciousness wafting through DS cyberspace and only has power when inside of a host.

Considering it was scared of dying, it might not even be able to live for long without a host. It also is still a video game, and it and the regrets can't just warp in to kill you, you got to come to it and they have to follow rules like patrol patterns or no going past flowers. the trap at the end may have been it bringing the glitched gameworld into reality in a last ditch effort to kill you and possess ren before it died.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Since the game was constantly spreading itself and continuing to kill, maybe it needed frequent boosts of human energy to keep itself "alive." A host with powerful negative emotions to power the grudge, and other humans to feed on to keep itself going. It had to follow rules and patterns as a game, but its sense of desperation at the end kind of suggests that if it couldn't use Ren as a host its remaining time was limited.

Thanks for the game and the translation! I also kept forgetting that this was a fan translation. Very well done.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Wow, that was really good. Thank you for this LP!

I like the bad ending from an aesthetic standpoint -- ever since MissingNo in my old Pokémon games, I've had a huge fondness for weird glitchy poo poo, which has been prevalent in the whole game (and the last one), but went completely bonkers in the long ending so I was just kinda sitting here watching it with a really stupid grin on my face as things kept getting weirder and weirder -- but I think I liked the leave-Ren-in-a-coma ending best. I know Davey is just a student (he's in college, right?) and probably not thinking straight after all the poo poo that happened to him, so his being swayed by the asterisk entity didn't feel illogical, but I am a sucker for happy endings, and there's just something about having Ooyama there as his pocket-dad for the rest of his life, chiming in every once in a while for advice and nerd discussions, that just makes me happy.

But really, thanks again for playing through both of the Nanashi no Game games, and thank you How Ingratiating and Panzer for making this one possible. This game and this LP have been super charming and I have enjoyed it immensely.

Also I drew you another thing, whoops.

I wasn't sure what Davey was supposed to look like, so he's pretty generic looking. :geno:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

yokaiy posted:

I wasn't sure what Davey was supposed to look like, so he's pretty generic looking. :geno:

Dude (gal?), you seriously rock at art.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

yokaiy posted:

I like the bad ending from an aesthetic standpoint -- ever since MissingNo in my old Pokémon games, I've had a huge fondness for weird glitchy poo poo, which has been prevalent in the whole game (and the last one), but went completely bonkers in the long ending so I was just kinda sitting here watching it with a really stupid grin on my face as things kept getting weirder and weirder -- but I think I liked the leave-Ren-in-a-coma ending best. I know Davey is just a student (he's in college, right?) and probably not thinking straight after all the poo poo that happened to him, so his being swayed by the asterisk entity didn't feel illogical, but I am a sucker for happy endings, and there's just something about having Ooyama there as his pocket-dad for the rest of his life, chiming in every once in a while for advice and nerd discussions, that just makes me happy.

But really, thanks again for playing through both of the Nanashi no Game games, and thank you How Ingratiating and Panzer for making this one possible. This game and this LP have been super charming and I have enjoyed it immensely.

Ooyama was a fun character in this game, for sure, as was his impassioned mad scientist-looking fellow teacher. Kawagoe was a somewhat difficult character to translate, but I really enjoyed writing his lines. The way the Ren-in-a-coma ending was delivered sort of felt like the writers were saying, "C'mon, say yes! You gotta see the scary ending, it's so cool, just c'monnn." It's like Davey's life stopped anyway, even when he didn't choose to end it.

Also, the pixel pieces you've done for this thread are amazing. :swoon:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

yokaiy posted:

gently caress, that picture looks so good....and did you name it that because of that horrible Fear video? Also, if things come together hopefully the next LP will be for a PS2 FMV game called Fear....it's as great as it sounds.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Oddly I feel like both of the choice endings feel really human. I could see it going either way, personally, since Ren is both his girlfriend and someone who has been clearly helping him the best she can along all of this as well. People make foolish decisions in those kinds of situations, and I wouldn't be surprised if Davey felt that since hes already triumphed before, he could do it again. On the flipside, someone going through all of that could also just say 'Screw that' to even the prospect of helping someone else if it means going to deal with more supernatural crud.

That said, I'm not sure how the glitch managed to kill him to begin with. Was it just using the last vestiges of its power? Without a host, I'd think it wouldn't be able to do much of anything or so it sounded like.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Niggurath posted:

gently caress, that picture looks so good....and did you name it that because of that horrible Fear video? Also, if things come together hopefully the next LP will be for a PS2 FMV game called Fear....it's as great as it sounds.

Oh, man, I love FMV games. I can't wait. I'll keep an eye out for it, but if you start it soon enough I hope you link it in this thread so that we can find it more easily.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

How Ingratiating! posted:

Ooyama was a fun character in this game, for sure, as was his impassioned mad scientist-looking fellow teacher. Kawagoe was a somewhat difficult character to translate, but I really enjoyed writing his lines. The way the Ren-in-a-coma ending was delivered sort of felt like the writers were saying, "C'mon, say yes! You gotta see the scary ending, it's so cool, just c'monnn." It's like Davey's life stopped anyway, even when he didn't choose to end it.

Also, the pixel pieces you've done for this thread are amazing. :swoon:

I kind of wish they did more with Ooyama in the RPG portions. Like have him investigating the RPG sections of the game each time you get a new update, just to have him there.

Great LP and thank you Niggurath and Panzer Skank.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I loved the bad ending, mostly because I've loved glitchy poo poo since the halcyon days of the first Pokemon games. It just seems really fitting that the game would manifest that way considering that it's a cursed prototype (although I wish Davey had reacted, even if just by taking a few steps away from the entity while it was moving to kill him). I also like the good end, if only because I know that Ren is happy and not the game's puppet.

Thanks for the LP! And double thanks to PanzerSkank and How Ingratiating!; the translation was amazing and the edits were so seamless that I forgot that the game wasn't officially translated at some points. :j:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

DeliciousCookie posted:

That said, I'm not sure how the glitch managed to kill him to begin with. Was it just using the last vestiges of its power? Without a host, I'd think it wouldn't be able to do much of anything or so it sounded like.

Considering what it managed to do to an entire apartment, I'd say getting touched by the glitch directly would probably end horrifically, although its dialogue suggests it was going to torture Davey a bit.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
:haw: Thanks. It felt kinda messy to me, but now that it's not 2 in the morning I'm liking it a lot more. There're some other things I want (or have wanted for a while) to draw too, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get around to them.

I hadn't seen that. Fear, huh? That sounds terrible. I'm so excited for it. :allears:

SelenicMartian posted:

There needs to be a fan art of side stepping utterly confusing Japanese girl ghosts.

Oh, and this one is for you.

There're some problems with it, but I don't feel like fixing them right now.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

yokaiy posted:

:haw: Thanks. It felt kinda messy to me, but now that it's not 2 in the morning I'm liking it a lot more. There're some other things I want (or have wanted for a while) to draw too, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get around to them.

I hadn't seen that. Fear, huh? That sounds terrible. I'm so excited for it. :allears:

This is adorable. By the way, this may seem strange, but I'm seriously considering getting some of your art printed out for my walls...

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
:blush: That is super flattering, you have no idea. Thank you and feel free!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Haha, the best part to me are those last second question marks; but that's simply amazing. I'd say if it was a lil smaller then I'd probably get it as an avatar.

But yeah, the reason I asked about the possible daijobu connection was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uzMNkS20fU because me and Panzer are literal babies. We're hoping though we can also wrangle Geop into the mix as well while we laugh at Japanese words and culture.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nice!

- Booo! ... Boo?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Niggurath posted:

Haha, the best part to me are those last second question marks; but that's simply amazing. I'd say if it was a lil smaller then I'd probably get it as an avatar.

But yeah, the reason I asked about the possible daijobu connection was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uzMNkS20fU because me and Panzer are literal babies. We're hoping though we can also wrangle Geop into the mix as well while we laugh at Japanese words and culture.

It's small enough for an avatar, I think, but I can shrink it down if you'd like. :haw: I'll fix it up a bit too, in that case.

:allears: I am looking forward to this FMV disaster so much.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

yokaiy posted:

It's small enough for an avatar, I think, but I can shrink it down if you'd like. :haw: I'll fix it up a bit too, in that case.

:allears: I am looking forward to this FMV disaster so much.
Panzer says that the dimensions are fine, but that the overall file size is a bit too big for an avatar.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Niggurath posted:

Panzer says that the dimensions are fine, but that the overall file size is a bit too big for an avatar.

I definitely didn't immediately and aggressively try to buy this as an av for u

Yokaiy your art is amazing and you are amazing !!!!

Edit: :c00lbert:

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 2, 2015

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Okay, I dunno how big it's allowed to be, but maybe this one'll work better? I took off some of the top, removed a couple frames, and simplified a few things. Also I gave Davey a shadow.

Post Processing
Mar 26, 2010

yokaiy posted:

This is fantastic. Loved your art for this thread

Niggurath posted:

This was a great LP and I'm sure everything will be daijoubu in that one as well.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Niggurath posted:

Twist my arm why don'jobu :allears:

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Finally caught up - thanks Niggurath, this was great!

I really enjoyed this 2nd game; I liked the first, it was a novelty for the DS, but this really had nice touches, especially with the worlds bleeding into one another.

Oh Ren. I felt for her.

Yokaiy, your art is awesome. I would have picked Davey hiding in the wheat, but I love the side-stepping animation, too.

I watched part of your test video for this next game, Niggurath, and I look forward to seeing the whole thing! ...from my brief exposure to Japanese television years ago, the acting and production seem about on par. Which is to say, terrible and soap-opera like, but perfect for a horror game! So glad to see this coming to an LP near me!

Do you have a link handy for your Swapper LP? I fell behind, and then when I looked for it, I couldn't find it on the Master list. I would really like to finish it!

Thanks!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Kacie posted:

Finally caught up - thanks Niggurath, this was great!

I really enjoyed this 2nd game; I liked the first, it was a novelty for the DS, but this really had nice touches, especially with the worlds bleeding into one another.

Oh Ren. I felt for her.

Yokaiy, your art is awesome. I would have picked Davey hiding in the wheat, but I love the side-stepping animation, too.

I watched part of your test video for this next game, Niggurath, and I look forward to seeing the whole thing! ...from my brief exposure to Japanese television years ago, the acting and production seem about on par. Which is to say, terrible and soap-opera like, but perfect for a horror game! So glad to see this coming to an LP near me!

Do you have a link handy for your Swapper LP? I fell behind, and then when I looked for it, I couldn't find it on the Master list. I would really like to finish it!

Thanks!
I'm really glad you enjoyed the LP and I'm definitely looking forward to showing off the Fear, mostly because I do really enjoy FMV games and I was especially surprised to find out that there were very, very few FMV games for the PS2.

But yeah, the Swapper has been added to the LP archives: http://lparchive.org/The-Swapper/

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is the cursed game progressing endlessly, or is Ren keeping it sealed up inside her?

Either way, she never asked for this, and it's sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Glazius posted:

So is the cursed game progressing endlessly, or is Ren keeping it sealed up inside her?

Either way, she never asked for this, and it's sad.
I think without a host, the curse is just left powerless in it's own little realm and that's why she's probably fine in her coma state (relatively speaking). But when we followed the curse's directions, opened the door for it to return yet again, and allowed it access to Ren's grief then we let it progress endlessly.

And while it is sad she never asked to be a part of the curse, she at least had a positive impact in the end and it put her at peace rather than how Akane had ended up twisted by the curse.

• Locked thread