Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I already thought about doing that :) Even started it up.

Edit: Just so you know, Windows 8.1 really hates this game. Can't do a custom script or any post-production. It just refuses to load.

At least you've gotten that far. My copy crashes after the logos. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Will we be able to submit custom scripts as this goes on?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Mr Tastee posted:

I think it was mentioned that every script was going to be random made by the game. But that would've been a cool idea.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Darth TNT posted:

Are you playing this with or without the expansion?

Whoops! I forgot to add it into the OP, we're playing WITH the expansion, since it's pretty great.

Mr Tastee posted:

64bitrobot posted:

I think it was mentioned that every script was going to be random made by the game. But that would've been a cool idea.

I'm considering this, since I would like to include more thread participation (I wanted to see if I can rename every employee, but sadly you can only name stars :(), but we're still a ways off from getting the building that let's us make custom stuff.

Speaking of thread participation, I got drunk and did this:

I'm thinking I might do this for each 'movie', the question is, do I release the movies BEFORE the update is released and steal borrow reviews from you guys, or release the updates and do the poster afterwards? :v:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
To more accurately reflect movie hype you should release an extremely unrepresentative teaser and take your poster quotes from the response to that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love everything about the concept of this. Looking forward to all the ridiculous on-set shenanigans.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Seyser Koze posted:

To more accurately reflect movie hype you should release an extremely unrepresentative teaser and take your poster quotes from the response to that.
I would go with this, but I imagine coming up with an unrepresentative trailer would be difficult.

Danaru posted:

Whoops! I forgot to add it into the OP, we're playing WITH the expansion, since it's pretty great.

I'm considering this, since I would like to include more thread participation (I wanted to see if I can rename every employee, but sadly you can only name stars :(), but we're still a ways off from getting the building that let's us make custom stuff.

Speaking of thread participation, I got drunk and did this:

I'm thinking I might do this for each 'movie', the question is, do I release the movies BEFORE the update is released and steal borrow reviews from you guys, or release the updates and do the poster afterwards? :v:

It's perfect. I think releasing before the update would probably make it cooler, then you can put the poster in the update, but I am an impatient person and love this game and would be perfectly happy if you just did the poster after the updates.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also the suspense of not seeing the movie until the very end would be ruined, and that is genuinely a great element, at least to this episode.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

Also the suspense of not seeing the movie until the very end would be ruined, and that is genuinely a great element, at least to this episode.

Actually that's a really good point. For now I'll just upload the still screenshot in place of a movie release link, and then add the reviews/title/credits later.

Also seriously what the hell is with these related videos :stare:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Danaru posted:

Also seriously what the hell is with these related videos :stare:

no, it's great, just go with it

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

64bitrobot posted:

I would go with this, but I imagine coming up with an unrepresentative trailer would be difficult.
Nonsense. All that needs to be done is creating a different movie in freeplay, under similar constraints.

Danaru posted:

All movies in the game are randomly generated from predetermined scenes. Basically there are a ton of scenes with certain slots ('main actor' 'extra 1' etc.), so depending on the genre, it picks vaguely appropriate sets, vaguely appropriate scenes, and cobbles them together using your actors. I plan on making up a stupid plotline for every movie that comes out like I did for Behold a Seventh Planet :v:
I missed where you stuck the plotline. Hidden all the way in the video description. :downs:

I'm a little disappointed how the 7th planet didn't even factor in, even in the synopsis you created. I'm just going to pretend that the scriptwriters actually have hundreds of scripts written out, one scene per page. And then someone tripped and mixed them all up. And the titles were only on the cover sheet. And that the only time consuming part is them trying to get the right number of pages and genre.

They just didn't have any paperclips.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Make sure that at least one of your reviews is taken entirely without context, so that when I say "This is the kind of pretentious bullshit that no one except a film student's mother would call a masterpiece" you can then add "'...a masterpiece' --DivineCoffeeBinge" to the relevant poster.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Please tell me one of your characters can be a robot in a gorilla suit.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

At some point we need to have a review that has alien propaganda "hidden" within it. Things like OBEY or PRAISE THE ETHEREALS.

That being said, I do love the reviews and poster combinations-it adds so much flavor to each update!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:negative: It's hopeless. The game is unplayable amd you can't run compatibility on steam, it won't recognize start if you do.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Deadmeat5150 posted:

:negative: It's hopeless. The game is unplayable amd you can't run compatibility on steam, it won't recognize start if you do.

I found my discs at home today, but only for the base game, not for the expansion :(

Also, it's three discs, wow. Holy crap, this game wasn't that ig was it? My god, technology has progressed. I know it's probably not gonna work, but I'm gonna try and install this again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jalak posted:

Although I do remember when my cousin put in two male leads in a romance movie without really thinking about it, leading to hilarious results. Don't know a lot of how romance movies went during the early stages of cinematic history, but I'd imagine something like that would be pretty controversial in the 1930's. Hell, we still have trouble with that sort of thing in movies right now.

In the world of the trapeze one man flies, one man catches, and nobody comes between them!

Totally innocent. Honest.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Edit: Whoops, wrong thread. That'll teach me to post late at night.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 22, 2015

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Good news for me at least, it appears that the game installed quite well and is working just fine. I really, really wish I could have found the expansion disc though. Why do I desire to play this so bad?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

64bitrobot posted:

Why do I desire to play this so bad?

It's a fun silly game. My only complaint was the ridiculous amount of micromanagement needed in order to have the best actors.

Oh, and the cap on employees. I think I modded it because I always needed more warm bodies to throw as extras/cameramen/janitors.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Fat Samurai posted:

It's a fun silly game. My only complaint was the ridiculous amount of micromanagement needed in order to have the best actors.

Oh, and the cap on employees. I think I modded it because I always needed more warm bodies to throw as extras/cameramen/janitors.

I always needed extra bodies as an entourage :(

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

This LP is already amazing.

Now I feel super guilty for not being able to run that Shadowrun game for you, Dan. :(

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Seyser Koze posted:

Please tell me one of your characters can be a robot in a gorilla suit.

Shiv Kong

Shiv Kong

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

Shiv Kong

Shiv Kong

And when we reach the 80's, Thunder 5 Is ALIVE!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Archenteron posted:

Shiv Kong

Shiv Kong

I was actually going for Robot Monster, but this is better.

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff

64bitrobot posted:

I always needed extra bodies as an entourage :(

loving entourage! :argh: But for real, this game became much more enjoyable when I found a mod that makes your employment lines always have people in them. It's kind of ridiculous how few people you get applying for jobs when you should have tons of eager young theater students wanting to make it big. :swoon:

I'm looking forward to what kind of nonsense will come out of this, I always used custom scripts just so I could make movies that took the least amount of time to film and sold all my writer's scripts for extra cash.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Fat Samurai posted:

I wanted to do a relatively pure run, even Bradford was made without using the cheat-ey star maker, but at this point I'm kind of considering throwing in mods and such just to make things goofier since people are liking the out-there plot I cooked up (which I admittedly was worried people wouldn't like :v:) If I do, the employee count mod will be one of the firsts. Much like Evil Genius, the cap is way too low.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Danaru posted:

I wanted to do a relatively pure run, even Bradford was made without using the cheat-ey star maker, but at this point I'm kind of considering throwing in mods and such just to make things goofier since people are liking the out-there plot I cooked up (which I admittedly was worried people wouldn't like :v:) If I do, the employee count mod will be one of the firsts. Much like Evil Genius, the cap is way too low.

Was Evil Genius's henchman cap set the way it was because of technical limitations of computers of the time? If so it might be similar for The Movies.

This LP is brilliant so far. This game got brought up in the Sims thread as a game that did a similar job of letting you naturally come up with stories for your little digital people (though obviously on a more limited scale since everything revolves around movies) and it's great that you're fulfilling that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mycot posted:

Was Evil Genius's henchman cap set the way it was because of technical limitations of computers of the time? If so it might be similar for The Movies.

Dear lord, please have some maniac take this "X-Com does Y" premise and transfer it to Evil Genius.

I REALLY need to finish a full run of that game one of these days, but I am so terrible at planning ahead. "THERE, now that my generator room is finish I can get to work on... gently caress, I've run out volcano"

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Section Z posted:

Dear lord, please have some maniac take this "X-Com does Y" premise and transfer it to Evil Genius.

I REALLY need to finish a full run of that game one of these days, but I am so terrible at planning ahead. "THERE, now that my generator room is finish I can get to work on... gently caress, I've run out volcano"

Then all your valets get murdered by a special agent when they return from a mission, and you have to spend another hour re-training them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Update 2 - Staging Area

"The computer is tabulating the reviews."
"That didn't take long."
"It's a lot easier spying on 20s civilians than it was spying on EXALT. Plus with the way time is moving to people affected by the psychic wave..."
"Let's not go into the psychic stuff again. It gives me a headache."

"...I felt the movie quality was a little higher than that."
"Did you get it, headache, psychic"
"Don't take it too personally, Bradford. It was our first movie, so our tech and star power are negligible."
"Thanks, Shen."
"I mean, you should take it a LITTLE personally, because wow. But it's not ALL your fault."

"At the very least it was a good learning experience for everyone involved."
"Hey check it, it's not THAT expensive to shoot a movie."
"...How does the computer tell how much experien--"
"PBTHHH HEY look the reviews are in."

"Wow, standards were low in the 20s. We're lucky."
"That's not entirely fair, Blenkinsop did decently for a guy who's role was "walk into the frame"."

"King Con is ready to shoot. I took a quick look and the writing in this one feels a bit better than the last movie."
"That's a low bar."
"Good news, we're already making money off the film's release. We're back out of debt."
"Hell yes we are."

"Holy crap it's only been like an hour, we made THAT much?"
"Psychic time compression."
"And just like that the plotholes are gone."
"I just got a message from Lynette, we're going to go practice on the Sci-fi set."
"Good idea, Genre interest is balanced right now, so we should stick to genres we know well."
"Maybe we should just bring a camera crew to a combat site and play that off as a movie."
"...hm"
"...That was a joke, commander."

"Bradford and Lynette are practicing, and King Con is getting set to shoot. Now that we have some time, I'd like to show you something Shen and I have been working on."
"The aliens shot down a couple of satellites, mostly just ones owned by corporations, and that one the US president used to get around the government firewall blocking Youtube. They seem to have given that up and left quite a few still in orbit. That means we've been able to hijack a bunch of them for surveillance."
"Suck it, NSA."
"Between that and our agents, we have real-time access to quite a bit of information."

"...Aw."
"Keep in mind, the other four studios have been at this longer than we have, or at least that's what it seems like to both them and the public."
"The computer will automatically update us on any change to our prestige. It's not as important as actually defeating the enemies, but the better our studio looks, the more income we'll be able to put towards the war."

"We've also put together a movie chart so we can guage the relative popularity of our films."
"Hey, 14th isn't bad for our very first film!"

"...Aw."
"Pretty good for a group of soldiers turned movie makers, but not much more than that."
"Finally, we also have charts for how famous actors at various studios are."

"Naturally, Bradford and Brookes are a bit higher, having actually been in a movie. By having a higher prestige, it'll help make any movie they're in get better reviews. Naturally, you can't get a decent amount of prestige without being in some movies first."
"Fake it until you make it, eh?"
"...A lot of your decisions back at X-COM are starting to make more sense."
"Yo, what's up with number 16 there?"
"I'm not sure. It could be some kind of interference, or possibly an embedded enemy agent, or..."
"Bored now. How's filming going?"

"All these sets and they chose the stage?"
"Set variety is a good thing. If we use a set too often, people will get bored of it."
"Still, I only built that so we could practice comedy acting."

"Once we have a bit more money, we might want to think about classing the place up a bit."
"...Why?"
"Having a nice looking studio lot will give us extra prestige separate from our movies. Frankly we uh, probably shouldn't depend on making quality films for our studio prestige."
"'Fake it until you make it' indeed."

"Hey check it! A new sci-fi movie, and Bradford and Brookes are open!"
"Excellent! I'll have it sent to..."

"...Er, nope. Nevermind. It calls for the stage, which is being used, so we can't produce them in tandem."
"I am NOT ordering a second stage to be built. I barely wanted the first one. Just chuck the script somewhere and tell them to make a new one."
"Commander, King Con is nearly finished filming. Perhaps you should begin rehearsal, and have them begin once King Con wraps."
"Ugh. Fine."

"Perfectly good starship set and they use..."
"We're out of crew."
"Oh come ON!"
"Unfortunately it looks like no new X-COM staff have made it, so we'll have to--"

"HEY. WENDY. YOU'RE WORKING CAMERA CREW NOW."
"...We have communications, you don't have to yell out the wind--"
"DO I LOOK LIKE I'M KIDDING, CHUCK YOUR TOOLBOX AND GET TO THE CASTING BUILDING."
"That takes care of the crew, but we're still in need of an extra."
"How much longer is Blenkinsop needed in King Con?"

"Only one scene left. Shouldn't be more than a minute."
"Does Blenkinsop seem stressed out to you?"
"Everyone who didn't shoot and nearly kill Van Doorn can rest. Blenkinsop is going straight to the other movie."

"There we go, that's a wrap."
"Sweet, where's Bradford?"

"~In the rain the pavement shines like silveeer. All the lights are-- OW"
"Impressive throw."
"He's lucky that book was the heaviest thing I could find on short notice."

"Everyone else knows their parts, it's just a matter of Blenkinsop getting a look at the script."
"And a comedy script just finished! I'm turning this place into a drat movie sweatshop if it's the last thing I do."

"Stage."
"COME ON."

"Before you continue assaulting X-COM staff, King Con is awaiting release."
"Alright, let's get this poo poo show over with."

(Plot synopsis in the Youtube description)

"HOLY poo poo THIS IS THE BEST FILM EVER!"
"...Was that really the script you said felt BETTER Shen?"
"I didn't say it was GOOD, just better."
"Oh man, any time Blenkinsop starts bitching, show him this."
"...Well here come the reviews."
"Have at it, I already won."

"Oh check it! A full star! Computer agrees with me!"

"...not a SINGLE negative review?!"
"WHOO!"
"I suppose we can't complain, although I hope that the public's taste in movies returns to normal when the war ends."

"The only way it could have been better is if it was Bradford that got hit in the name of humanity."
"Maybe you'll get lucky with the Submarine Gang."
"We can hope."
"Commander, take a look at this."

"We could do that in like, an hour with the Skyranger."
"It's the 20s, remember. We believe that now that history is progressing again, we can use past knowledge to guage what genres will be popular and when."
"That feels a bit like cheating."
"You're upset about cheating?"
"Hell no, I wasn't complaining, I was bragging."

"We've also gotten wind of this, a movie awards ceremony."
"Aw hell yes we're so there."
"It feels strange that being out in the open makes us more hidden. The more we show ourselves to the world, the less likely they are to think anything is odd."

"That reminds me. With our excess scripts building up now, we've gained enough connections to sell both scripts and stars."
"Uhh, I feel like selling our soldiers is a bad plan."
"Perhaps, but it also gives a good cover in case we plan to infiltrate another studio later on."
"Heyyyyy good thinking, Shen."

"Man, we're making MAD bank with King Con. This is great."

"...Little light on the cash, isn't it?"
"Remember, it's just the script. Plus it's better than just throwing it out."
"Speaking of which, it looks like they're all done with that action movie script."
"Let me guess."

"Don't even tell me the title. Just get it the hell out of my studio."
"I have something that might cheer you up. The computer has been tabulating enough data that we can get public reviews of individual stars"
"Oh man"

"Oh man oh man oh man"

"HAH!"
"...mmmpheh"
"How hard did "Look! Films!" have to reach for that one?"
"I want a subscription to 'camERA'. We can afford it."
"We, heh, we should check in of the Submarine Gang crew."

"Looks uh, fascinating."
"Wendy is having a bit of trouble with her crew job."
"She can go back to building once we're not running with a skeleton crew."

"Alright this is boring as poo poo. What's everyone else up to?"

"Hey it's a video game protagonist convention."
"Some people are having trouble with the whole 1920s disguise thing."
"If this script they're writing is for the god drat stage again, someone's getting kicked in the nards."

"Oh poo poo here we go, this is WAY cooler."
"Brazil was an Assault, so naturally he knows what action is like up close and personal. He should be able to fit an action role perfectly."

"Unless he starts binging on burgers."
"Bradford go get me a bu... awww when's that movie over."
"Just finished Commander, this time we--"
"Bradford go get me a burg."
"...Alright."

"Alright come on baby! Let's have another King Con! Show me the dough!"

(Plot synopsis in the Youtube description)

"..."
"..."
"..."
"I'm back, here's your burger."
"...Let's look at the reviews."

"...We may want to get Wendy away from the camera equipment as soon as we can."

"Wow, they got sick of that stage really fast."
"What did I SAY about the god drat STAGE."
"I didn't even get mentioned!"
"Oh, if it means anything, the computer just tabulated enough information to give us the public's reviews of the studio as a whole."
"It can't be much worse than this."

"...Cancel that camERA subscription."
"I can't argue with Film Journal and Cenema. At least our engineers are great."
"If any of my drat scientists would show up, we'd be a scientific marvel too."
"I'm gonna need a bigger burg for this."

Danaru fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 4, 2015

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Once again, the folks at EXALT want me to look at the films, so here we go around. Let's see, two things from X-Cam. Hmm, King con. Yah, if I wanted to watch a fight I would just go outside. Boring.

The Submarine Gang, now that's more like what I expect from X-Cam. More space stuff, but that firing seems a bit, familiar.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
How did Repair of Sets get so high? Does it just start off at Superb and get lower if you scrimp on upkeep?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Seyser Koze posted:

How did Repair of Sets get so high? Does it just start off at Superb and get lower if you scrimp on upkeep?

Pretty much. Builders will wander around and repair stuff if nothing is being actively built, so unless you have a massive lot and no builders, you're always going to be in top form. I honestly don't know if buildings are destroyed at zero maintenance because it's never happened to me.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

On King Con: While the plot is simplistic and the acting is passable at best, there is something immensely satisfying about watching a man getting punched in the face. Repeatedly.

On The Submarine Gang: While I commend the movie makers for wanting to tackle a controversial issue, the acting is terrible, the set cheap, and I'm certain that there was stock footage reused from B!ASP.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Masterful use of dramatic irony in On the Submarine Gang.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Dear readers, I come to you preaching highest blasphemy: erase the memory of Seventh Planet from your minds - The Submarine Gang is the true pinnacle of the budding scientifiction film genre. While X-Cam's previous film, the box office smash King Con, consisted of a single note (albeit well executed), Gang is a more subtle and rewarding concerto. Sparse production values cannot hide the myriad depths of the complex, deeply allegorical script, and up-and-coming director Lynette Brooks wisely leaves most of the prominent questions unanswered, inviting the viewer to contemplate on the potential meanings of the individual elements. The entire effect lends the production a disarming, dreamlike quality, making the moments of punctuating action all the more intense by comparison. Eventually, dream descends into nightmare, and culminates in an ending that I dare not spoil here. 5 Stars.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Where's the submarine? :mad:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
"While King Con certainly has its moments of slapstick charm, this reviewer vastly preferred the studio's latest effort, The Submarine Gang. The epilectic octopus that they must have had behind the camera gave the cinematography a tense, shaky feel, and director Lynette Brooks' wise decision to keep Central Officer Bradford out of frame whenever possible - and out of focus when not - vastly improved the film's quality. While I would not wish to inflict this film upon any healthy moviegoers, it would make an excellent therapy tool for teaching invalids to stop staring at blank movie screens, and for that I give it three stars."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dr Pepper posted:

Where's the submarine? :mad:

Do you really expect to see a submarine in the desert? It's in the ocean, where it's supposed to be.

• Locked thread