Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Coolguye posted:

Why the hell is there an actor named fsdg
Don't blame the person, blame the parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Coolguye posted:

Exalt's radios work perfectly fine, they just talk like that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Coolguye posted:

e: By the way

"Psychic Time Compression."

Alternatively:

Pvt.Scott posted:

Exalt's radios work perfectly fine, they just talk like that.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Marvelous, simply marvelous!

The Night Follower: A film that explores the existential terror of having to go into the basement at one in the morning to do laundry, a fear we've all experienced.

French Polish A comedy that speaks more to the primal urge of humor than King Con; Blenkinsop can take a punch to the face which moves him even closer to our hearts.

Allen Lives Forever a sojourn into space and into the mind of man in the next frontier.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
I must say, Allen Lives Forever is an emotional roller coaster, following the unending life of, well, Allen. Early in the movie, you can't really identify with the man, as he desperately tries to find death or meaning in the outer reaches of space. But as you learn more about him, how he has seen so much happen and outlived so many loved ones, you get this emotional connection to him. And the climatic scene where it looks like he might really die, when he has his realization? An amazing feel-good ending, seeing this man find the joy in living again. The acting may not have been perfect, but the writing was a superb exploration of the human mind.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Oh boy! Custom scripts! Will you be taking the helm from now on or letting the game run free with its usual craziness?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Blastinus posted:

Oh boy! Custom scripts! Will you be taking the helm from now on or letting the game run free with its usual craziness?

Part of this LP's craziness so far has been the absolutely terrible magical scripts the game has made on its own. I think it'd be nice to see, say, a custom script roughly every era, but I think the game's own scripts should stay in center stage.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Maybe use custom scripts to change the set, if the scriptwriter insists on reusing the same set again and again? Keeping the script the same, just a different location.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Iunnrais posted:

Maybe use custom scripts to change the set, if the scriptwriter insists on reusing the same set again and again? Keeping the script the same, just a different location.

But the set choice is integral to the power of the script! The Submarine Gang would have been completely nonsensical if shot on the sci-fi set, for example.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Submarine Gang would have been completely nonsensical if shot on the sci-fi set, for example.
i am not seeing the problem here

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I want to see King Con/French Polish in Space. It would be really cap off the trilogy well.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Croccers posted:

I want to see King Con/French Polish in Space. It would be really cap off the trilogy well.

It wouldn't be the same if it didn't use the Stage.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
There are some scenes that require specific sets. For example, you can't have a conversation at the bar in a basement.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
"Like gently caress you can't, you've never seen my basement" - The script writers for the next budding X-CAM release, Alcohol & Misery.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You're not going to do comedies? What is "Blenkinsop Gets Decked" if not a comedy?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

It's clearly a documentary :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Blastinus posted:

I'll definitely let the game run with it's crazy bullshit scripts, although I like Iunnrais' idea. The commander should have the ability to cross out "Stage" and put "Literally Anywhere Else" dammit :colbert:

Also here's an update for not having an update or updating the posters yet.

Update 3A - Meta Stuff

Hey dudes, so I had a 12 hour shift suddenly and tragically turn into a 21 hour shift about fifteen minutes before it was SUPPOSED to end, and afterwards I had to walk two hours in a snowstorm to get home. As a result, my 'weekend' was full of painkillers and trying not to contort horribly, and I didn't actually get a chance to play for a decent amount of time. I figured I'd take this time to explain some of the game mechanics in more detail, and without using the phrases "The Computer" and "Psychic Time Compression".

If you're not interested in numbers and meters, and how they coincide with success, you can skip this update. Also if you want to maintain the illusion that I have any idea what I'm doing, you should skip it too. I'm going to be WAY too honest about stuff in this update. If you're contributing to my Patreon, you can even complain about my lack of content/skill. :v:

The Movies is actually a pretty drat complex game for some douche to shoehorn an XCOM plot onto. There are a ton of ways to influence how well a movie does. For the most part, these are all pretty self explanatory. Set repair, crew experience, genre interest, these are all exactly what they say on the tin. Star power is pretty easy to explain too, a movie starring Nathan Fillion is going to be more popular than a movie starring Chumpo, that homeless dude that traded a 25 dollar gift card to the grocery store for a 20 dollar bill, making it obvious that he's buying drugs and you're kinda a dick for enabling him, but also that's a five dollar return dude. Don't judge me.

I brought this up a bit in the LP proper, but each review actually does correlate to factors that affect your film's success. The main ones we've been seeing are Bradford being a hack, and novelty on pretty much everything being garbo. This is entirely my fault because I've been burning the candle on both ends this entire time. I like future-proofing though. :colbert: If I can do 21 hours, so can Blenkinsop, and I DON'T have a burger truck where I work.

Something I haven't brought up is the mechanics behind Genre Fit. It's basically just how attractive and how old the actor is. Bradford's a pretty fit guy, so he's got that much going for him. Physique and age play a far greater role in Action and Sci-fi genres, while Comedy is a much more forgiving in that department. Also there's a "Chest" meter, which is just boob/pectoral size. :v:

Studio rankings are the same way. Also gently caress you Look! Films!, I did my best. :argh: You're probably always going to see someone making GBS threads on Behold! A Seventh Planet! and whoever the newest employee is, so those aren't super useful, but it's a quick way to see what needs attention right away.

Also what the gently caress, Hollywood Reporter, why are you guys so obsessed with the toilet situation.

Not too much to talk about here, we're actually basically still in the tutorial phase of the main story (Sandbox mode starts at like 1930 or so if I remember right), so we don't actually have any trailers unlocked. Entourage also isn't a thing yet, but you can place chumps extra employees down next to a star to become part of their crew. They wander around with the star sucking up and pretending to use cell phones. Honestly Entourage is the main reason people use mods to increase the maximum employee amount. I think it takes like four entourage folks to max out the entourage meter.

As much as I like jokingly making GBS threads on Bradford, he's honestly a little cheat-ey. Stars made with the starmaker will generally be better than any randomly generated star the game throws your way. His addiction levels are super low (Hence Look! Films!'s :effort: review), his Stress and Boredom tolerance is pretty high, which means he's less likely to go Diva on us than anyone else.

I'm not about to stop making GBS threads on him though. I don't even dislike Bradford, he's just a REALLY easy target. Almost every line he had in Enemy Unknown sounded like "NOTICE ME COMMANDER-SENPAI~!".

Uguu.

Studio ranking is a BITCH to increase. It's very much stacked for the folks at the top to stay at the top. You need money to make money, but if you spend money, you have no money, so your rank goes down, which means less money. And don't get me started on the god drat "Awards" rank. Lot Prestige is pretty much the only foot-in-the-door stat that we can exploit, since we can increase that without much trouble.

For loving example, we have a better Stars and Lot Prestige score than Maxipack, but because they snagged two awards and have a bit more dough, they're in 2nd and we're dead last. Studio rank doesn't exactly have a 1:1 relation with success of movies, but it does have an effect on how many people will show up looking for jobs, hence why we've had almost ZERO new hires since this LP began.

Also gently caress Lionear. Smug bastards.

Speaking of lot prestige, I neglected to show this off in the last update because... uh, I dunno, forgot I guess, but the game will show you what parts of your studios are ugly as hell and what parts are nice looking. Outhouses are generally and realistically a beauty sin, as shown by the red dots around it.

By dunking some trees around it, we can make the place way nicer. Also if you put an outhouse near a burg cart, it pisses everyone off because the smells start mixing. Yes I'm serious. Also yes that means the sci-fi set always smells like outhouse.

An unfortunate side effect of me working the XCOM crew like I'm a hubris-filled pharaoh is that everyone is universally stressed to all hell. You can lower stress by having your stars stuff their faces, or later on, getting shitfaced. Food and Alcohol are both addictive, which is why Bradford having such a high tolerance is cheaty.

Also yes you can 'accidentally' have a press photographer show up as your star is vomiting into his pockets. And yes, it does boost their star rating at the cost of their dignity. :v:

I honestly thought I placed a garbage can here until I saw Matt dunk his face into it. That explains why everyone keeps chucking their burger wrappers all over the place. I probably won't fix that.

Relationships can be a good star booster, more friends = more star power, and if two people who like each other work on a film together (Like Matt and Byron for like, every movie), their performances will be that much better. I'm pretty sure stars can also end up hating each other, which is funnier.

So hey! Remember the makeup department that I mentioned as being the Skyranger hangar, and then never mentioned again because god drat I forgot how long the early game section is? Star image is a big part of star power, and wearing outdated poo poo will effect that. The quickest way to fix that is a MAKEOVER!

The makeover screen lets you change a pretty wild amount of stuff. Most of it doesn't affect the Fashion bar, which means you can customize your stars to look how you want them to without taking a penalty.

In general, there's a couple 'correct' outfits per era, but for the most part, the most modern outfits will get you high enough on the bar to do what you need. Also is that a case of unfortunate lighting or are you THAT happy to lose the hat?

You can, if you wish, dress your stars up in costumes that wildly don't fit the era, or just generally makes them look like an rear end in a top hat. This is a pretty awful idea unless you're a huge jerk.

Which, let's face it, I am.

Hey maybe next time spend a little less time applauding yourself after every scene and more time actually shooting the scene. Then maybe you won't have to wear the Toga of Shame.

This is something I've never seen before, that guy beside the water fountain lost two pegs of image without me doing anything to him. I didn't catch a screenshot of it, but Brookes lost two pegs as well. The only thing I can figure is that Bradford's outfit is so bad that it affects everyone at the studio.

The toga of shame tanked Bradford's rank by SEVEN points. Always thus to tyrants.

If you can't be arsed to do it yourself, the Automatic makeover section will make your stars look better, but will also not make them perfect, to make it so you don't have a dozen carbon copies running about. Three people can get makeovers at the same time. Also it takes a bit of time rather than being instant like the manual version, but really these chumps have nothing better to do.

I didn't actually notice until this update, but Matt Lane totally looks like a balding Ganondorf. :psyduck:

Right clicking on a building will give you the building's maintenance level and some pertinent information. For sets it'll show you the novelty value. Since we JUST used this, the novelty value is tanked, but over time it'll come back.

The desert, the hugest set we have and one of the two original sets never used in a single drat script has a maxed out novelty value.

The burg truck will tell us how our catering level is, also wow :stare: I didn't quite realize we were doing so bad on that front. We'll unlock a building early into the next story update to help with that.

Right clicking an outhouse will give you your sanitation rating, the script office will give you your genre interest ratings, the staff office will show your cleanliness and maintenance ratings. The production office will give you the number of employees, and number of staff (Everyone other than stars) at a quick glance. It also helps you keep track of how many dudes you're paying.

Speaking of which, Vahlen touched on it a bit, but Salary will effect your star's mood and star power pretty greatly later on. Your stars are the only ones with variable pay, staff members can all stuff it with whatever they get.

There's honestly no point in raising someone's salary beyond what fulfills their salary satisfaction unless you're purposely falsely inflating their star power for some reason. As their star power and success rises, they'll demand better salary, so it'll rise organically that way, and will save you some cash.

Something I never noticed before, if you angle the camera down to eye level and look straight out the studio entrance, there's a theatre across the street that's always playing the top rated movie on the charts. I actually fast forwarded until a new movie hit the top just to check. Sure enough...

It's a neat little effect, but due to the way the camera works, it's also nearly impossible to see, and even if you notice it, you have to be curious enough to check the charts to see if it's an actual movie. I miss when Lionhead was a studio that gave a poo poo. :smith:

To cap things off, here's Bradford being forced to maintain a building. In a pinch you can drop any employee near garbage or a building to make them work. Stars will be upset, and no one but Janitors/Builders will continue after they're done what you told them, so there's really not much point in doing it unless you're purposely being an rear end in a top hat.

:smuggo:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Also yes you can 'accidentally' have a press photographer show up as your star is vomiting into his pockets. And yes, it does boost their star rating at the cost of their dignity.

Mad genius :magical:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Actually I'm pretty sure that all game mechanic explanations could use more Psychic Time Compression.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The one thing that annoys me in this game (aside from how little you can do about a lot of things like not having enough job applications, stars being too stressed out, and so forth) is that the photographers don't really seem to work much. The only thing I can get them to photograph is two stars talking to one another. Meanwhile, my megastar is in the bar getting hammered and they couldn't care less.

Also, relationships rise very slowly, and before two stars' cooldown on talking to one another resets, their bar usually falls back down to where it was before and the extra points are gone :argh:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I had a lot of success raising Star Power by raising salaries. Money is not a problem. I'm usually second-third studio at the first awards and sweep house on the second.

Tevery Best posted:

Also, relationships rise very slowly, and before two stars' cooldown on talking to one another resets, their bar usually falls back down to where it was before and the extra points are gone :argh:

Can't you force them to chat by dragging and dropping one onto another as soon as they end chatting? Also, IIRC you can combine that AND boozing, killing two bids with one stone.

The micromanage if you want to be efficient in this game is horrendous. I think I spent three times as long with the game paused and looking for people idling than actualy playing the game.

Also, entourages. Ugh.

VVVV

Well, it's been ten years or so since I played. I'm probably misremembering.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 23, 2015

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
If you do that, they stop chatting almost immediately. Usually the thought bubbles don't even get time to form. That was my experience, at least.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tevery Best posted:

The one thing that annoys me in this game (aside from how little you can do about a lot of things like not having enough job applications, stars being too stressed out, and so forth) is that the photographers don't really seem to work much. The only thing I can get them to photograph is two stars talking to one another. Meanwhile, my megastar is in the bar getting hammered and they couldn't care less.

Yeah, the photographers have a weirdly short list of things they'll actually give a poo poo about, which is kinda a shame. :( We've had a photographer milling about the entrance for a bit now, and I tried to get the son of a bitch backstage access to The Night Follower, dude just wandered off back to the entrance.

Fat Samurai posted:

The micromanage if you want to be efficient in this game is horrendous. I think I spent three times as long with the game paused and looking for people idling than actualy playing the game.

The micromanage wouldn't be TOO bad if they let you move stuff and people around while paused. I guess moving people would be a little cheaty given that a part of the game is your dudes actually getting to where they need to go, but there's no drat reason the game needs to be unpaused for me to get rid of a tree. :argh:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I want to watch the unslowable omnibus. :smith:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, you do kind of seem to be in a hole in the beginning. Looking forward to seeing how this game opens up.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Bad news folks, had some computer troubles recently and ended up replacing a couple parts and installing windows 8. I still have the save file, but the game CTDs the second it opens. I've been trying to fix it for the last couple weeks, but it looks like we're dead in the water. :(

I'm going to stow the LP for a bit, if I can manage to get it working again I'll probably start it up again, but for now I just can't get the drat thing working. I've got a couple other LP ideas in the pipe that I might act on in the meantime.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Aww, that's too bad. Thanks for the effort, it was fun while it lasted!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
That really sucks.
Thanks for the heads-up, Danaru. :(

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Danaru posted:

Bad news folks, had some computer troubles recently and ended up replacing a couple parts and installing windows 8. I still have the save file, but the game CTDs the second it opens. I've been trying to fix it for the last couple weeks, but it looks like we're dead in the water. :(

I'm going to stow the LP for a bit, if I can manage to get it working again I'll probably start it up again, but for now I just can't get the drat thing working. I've got a couple other LP ideas in the pipe that I might act on in the meantime.

Are you running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...sid=Windows+8.1

Apparently the game is compatible with 8.1 but I've seen some problems it has with 8.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

MJ12 posted:

Are you running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...sid=Windows+8.1

Apparently the game is compatible with 8.1 but I've seen some problems it has with 8.

I will add that I have 8.1 and it's worked. So double check if you have 8 or 8.1

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I get constant CTDs on 8.1

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Are the CTDs happening upon loading the file, or the game?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
You're not ending the LP, it's just undergoing Psychic Time Compression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

There is always https://www.virtualbox.org/ and a totally legit copy of windows xp. :v:

• Locked thread