Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Kgummy posted:

I remember some people managing to make an actual short film with The Movies. At least I don't think it was a full length feature.

I also recall reading about someone who worked on AI on the game. But sadly, the dumber AI was already fully tested or something and little, if any, of that AI got put in. Wish I could recall where I read about it, it was an interesting look at game development.

Before Activision blitzed the site, there were a whole bunch of little shorts made with The Movies, but most of them were, honestly, a bit crap, even when dubbed (You can find people still uploading stuff made with The Movies here, although not all of them are actually made with the program.), not helping was the fact that custom camera angles were only available with the expansion, the promised mod tools never got released (And it's hard to find the unofficial mod tools now), and the official site, until it closed, was riddled with problems.

Still, looking forward to seeing what abominations the AI comes up with. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Koboje posted:

Wow when I was reading previews about The Movies many many years ago it seemed like it would be awesome with unlimited ability to create actual movies that at the very least lasted 10-20 minutes that could be entertaining and varied and you would have have huge control over everything! Seeing all these less than a minute and already rehashed with craptastic animations clips and just overall shoddyness makes me realize why no one ever wanted to speak about it after it actually came out.

Will the clips actually ever be anything but absolutely laughably awful garbage? I am guessing hell no.

Surprisingly... While they will never (maybe) have anything but Simlish for voices once we finally get sound, some of the procedurally generated scripts will actually make sense/be mildly entertaining once the scriptwriters get good enough. This, however, may take a while.

But there is a reason the script office is an early reward, and there are also reasons why only a few costumes, sets, and actions are used. See, even now, there is a hidden Council who really pull the strings...

So, reviews!

French Polish - "The clever subversion of expectations had me rolling in my seat. Blenkinsop got slapped, and I got tickled!"
The Night Follower - "The existential threat had me gripping the edge of my preconceptions of fear!"

• Locked thread