Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Maybe try Autodip instead of plastidip? It's a sprayable vinyl wrap. I would imagine it would take quite a bit more abuse and heavy cleaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Plastidib has a new line of heavier duty coatings as well.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So I haven't done a lot lately but I did have a significant oil leak which is being fixed as we speak.

The shop who replaced my main bearings didn't think it was worth replacing my crank seals and reused them.

Now I'm not a mechanic but I know when you remove a seal, you should always replace it with new, especially if you don't know the age of the original seal.

So it's probably got more engine wear due to running on low oil and the whole block is covered in loving oil, along with the belts that are now hosed from oil exposure.

I shouldn't be paying for this, right?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You shouldn't no because they hosed up but I expect they won't see it that way and unless you have some way of proving it you are poo poo out of luck.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well, yeah I've had three conversations.

"Yeah it might be leaking from there, we didn't replace the seal with a new one, we just reused the old one"

"Yeah it is leaking from the crank front seal. It was all brittle and cracked and has been eroded by the crank when we reinstalled the old seal"

"Yeah it took four hours to pull off the crank pulley because it was seized on. We must have not put any anti seize on there when we had it off 2 months ago."

So I think when I pick it up I'll talk to the owner since his shop manager is a loving moron who's tarnishing his brand.

This is the same guy who got chewed out for paying drug money prices for redline gearbox fluid when they had the gearbox out For the bearing replacement and then trying to pass the cost on to me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im going to look at an Evo X w/SST this evening. friend is selling it for a decent price and it ticks all the boxes of what I want (sedan/turbo/AWD or RWD/more comfortable for daily duties)

its completely stock, never modded and has a service history so its a pretty safe bet I think. just gotta see how it feels to drive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's fine as long as you don't sell the s13.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rhyno posted:

That's fine as long as you don't sell the s13.

Definitely Selling the S13.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You are histories greatest monster.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I came to the conclusion with a friend of mine that after a car gets over 15 years old it starts to become more trouble than its worth to maintain.

its 20 years old and its just starting to fall apart. its getting rust, its engine is getting tired, its creaky and noisy, and generally not that much fun to have any more.

it makes me sad to think about selling it but I dont have the love for it to give it the attention it needs.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Evo and comfortable don't go together in my experience. However daily driving an old Japanese sports car is not really something you want to be doing I agree. They are getting tired but at least their prices are strong.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The evo was pretty cool. The sst trans has the best of both worlds too - auto for the mind numbing commute and full manual or super sport mode for the times you wanna drive fast.

Second owner, bone stock, all recalls completed and a new gearbox/motor under warranty. All servicing completed for the next 6mo/10,000kms

The hard part will be convincing my girlfriend that the recaros are comfortable :v:

He's only selling it because he now lives 500m from his office, otherwise he would be keeping it (and already has another fun car, this was his commuter)

Its loving blue though. I want a white or black one.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
it is the sacred progression

start with a silvia until it is not worth maintaining (even if this is after a single drift battle)

get an evo

paint it red and modify it to be rwd

master the tokyo drift

eventually find yourself back in a super clean silvia again after loving with some silly engine swaps

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Thief posted:

eventually find yourself back in a super clean silvia again after loving in a mustang with some silly engine swap

There we go

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

bro at the very end he is chillin at the meet in a maxed out s15 when Dom rolls up :allears:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Laserface posted:

I came to the conclusion with a friend of mine that after a car gets over 15 years old it starts to become more trouble than its worth to maintain.

its 20 years old and its just starting to fall apart. its getting rust, its engine is getting tired, its creaky and noisy, and generally not that much fun to have any more.

it makes me sad to think about selling it but I dont have the love for it to give it the attention it needs.

I kind of agree with this unless it's really low mileage or something. It's just not fun to gently caress around with old car problems when you have to get to work the next day.

While I love the S13 you've got, I understand.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Don't get rid of the S13 :(

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

sell it to me so i can put a $300 ka24de in it :devil:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If you want to ruin it then go put a CA18DET in it and go be a single cam monster.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

If you want to ruin it then go put a CA18DET in it and go be a single cam monster.

the CA is twin cam? as indicated by the D?

if the car was worth less, I would keep it and turn it into a track hack , but genuine Type X's are fetching good prices here, more than what I initially paid for it, so its better to sell it and put the money into something else.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

You're right, I was talking about the CA18ET that they put in early S12s derp :v:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Checking out an 08 STI hatch in a day or two. The hatch is something I always liked and it is the correct colour and trim level.

The evo is cool but I don't trust Mitsubishi to make a reliable car. Given my family has had Subaru that ran mostly without faults it could be a better buy.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Guy at work who changes cars every 6 months said he loved the evo 10, but didn't buy one after talking to people about the auto box.

Don't know if he was fed misinformation but said tranny is pretty much unrepairable if it dies and its like a 12 grand replacement.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Puddin posted:

Guy at work who changes cars every 6 months said he loved the evo 10, but didn't buy one after talking to people about the auto box.

Don't know if he was fed misinformation but said tranny is pretty much unrepairable if it dies and its like a 12 grand replacement.

they are definitely repairable, it seems its mostly people building engines with big horsepower and then doing nothing about the clutch packs in the box. MRT (local subie/evo tuners) say the box is physically strong but the clutches need to be upgraded along with the cooling system for the transmission if you expect it to last.

since I would probably only go as far as a dual map for E85 i dont forsee that being a huge issue.

I think the other thing people have suggested is that you simply leave the car in sport mode which makes the shifts way more aggressive but doesnt slip the clutches as much as normal mode does.

from what I am reading the STI is a much more livable car as a daily but the issues people have with the ringlands and the head gaskets scare me a bit.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

You're right, I was talking about the CA18ET that they put in early S12s derp :v:

my friend has an old ('88?) s13 coupe with the sohc ka and its actually not bad if all you want to do is slide empty around parking lots in 2nd

it's ugly as sin and probably shouldn't be driven more than 50mph but it's fun

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Thief posted:

my friend has an old ('88?) s13 coupe with the sohc ka and its actually not bad if all you want to do is slide empty around parking lots in 2nd

it's ugly as sin and probably shouldn't be driven more than 50mph but it's fun

KAE is a terrible engine but sounds hilarious with the mufflers cut off.

I didn't feel that guilty when I blew mine up.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

D C posted:

I maaaaay be building one up as a horribly ghettobuilt-for-boost antilag testbed. To blow the poo poo up. :D

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

You live in the land where you can get the cool older japanese cars and you are looking at evo10s?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think you'll find my current situation involves a cool old Japanese car and it's kind of exactly why I am trying to get an evo or STI or similar.

All the genuinely cool/actually old cars are either too far gone for my skills to save or completely restored and worth insane money.

I could get an S15 but it's just more of the same car I already own.

I could get a skyline but it's a heavier/thirstier car and not far from what I already own.

Other weird stuff like Toyota chasers or Nissan stageas are cool too but also huuuge buckets of fuel guzzling rare parts.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I daily drove a DC5 Integra for 4 years including a few trips around Europe and multiple track days a year and all it ever needed was brakes, tyres and oil. It is FWD of course but if you can get beyond that they are great and slightly newer.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I can't.

But if I could I would K swap the 180.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I totally understand not wanting to daily drive a 20+ year old Japanese sports car, I did that and just got annoyed constantly with little things going wrong all the time. As a fun car it's fine, but it's just not fun for a 6am commute finding the newest bit of trim thats fallen off or wondering if the wheelbearings are starting to go or have you blown another mani to turbo gasket etc.

I fancy a DC5 just for the punishment they can take on the track. But they seem to be holding value pretty well still and for a bit more I could have an early GT86 :shrug:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

D C posted:

best bang for the buck maybe?

they sketch me out when someone pops the hood and there's stuff like no fan shroud but overall i think KAs are looked at unfairly. there are a lot of sr and rb20 swaps in my area and they're always at the shop having some random bullshit done. meanwhile most of the ka owners seem to be the happiest with their cars and i see them actually driving around every weekend.

i've been lurking listings for a while now waiting for a relatively stock hatchback to pop up for a fair price. my plan is to eventually do a genuinely clean build and focus on making it a reliable lowkey daily.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Thief posted:

best bang for the buck maybe?

they sketch me out when someone pops the hood and there's stuff like no fan shroud but overall i think KAs are looked at unfairly. there are a lot of sr and rb20 swaps in my area and they're always at the shop having some random bullshit done. meanwhile most of the ka owners seem to be the happiest with their cars and i see them actually driving around every weekend.

i've been lurking listings for a while now waiting for a relatively stock hatchback to pop up for a fair price. my plan is to eventually do a genuinely clean build and focus on making it a reliable lowkey daily.

The KADE (dual cam) is a fine engine, its just not very exciting. A lot of SR swaps are done really lovely with poo poo wiring and poo poo aftermarket parts so stuff falls apart, my friend made the mistake of buying a pre-swapped car and has spent years discovering new stupid poo poo with it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Laserface posted:

I think you'll find my current situation involves a cool old Japanese car and it's kind of exactly why I am trying to get an evo or STI or similar.

All the genuinely cool/actually old cars are either too far gone for my skills to save or completely restored and worth insane money.

I could get a skyline but it's a heavier/thirstier car and not far from what I already own.

Other weird stuff like Toyota chasers or Nissan stageas are cool too but also huuuge buckets of fuel guzzling rare parts.

Get an S2000 :shobon:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Laserface posted:

Falcon XR6 Turbo.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Yeah, if I were in your situation (kinda am) I'd be cross-shopping an FG XR6 or similar. I've got a Chaser currently, have you thought about the newer model (JZX110) Mark II? Next model up, comes with a bunch of extra goodies over the older Chaser, and is a few years newer. They look good with basic mods, and are relatively cheap for an auto (bullshit with a manual, but that's Toyota for you). Really depends whether you can get past their.. interesting.. looks.

But really don't expect anything under 12L/100km from a 1J.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think Im gonna buy the evo, going to look at it again tomorrow.

I drove a STI hatchback and it was a better car, but the owner definitely hasnt been as careful as the owner of the evo. the interior is nicer (as standard in comparison to the evo), but the interior had lots of scratches in the painted plastics and a few questionable mods like a new front bumper from a 2013 STI and a new radiator - on their own they sound OK but together it sounds like it had an accident at some point.

I feel safer buying the evo knowing that its been looked after moreso than the STI that I preferred the feel of but am uneasy about its history.

it also had higher mileage and the owner before the current one sounded like a bit of a problem, so Im not feeling too bad about passing on it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Can confirm, new bumper and radiator, guys hit a tow bar.

This was the beginning of the end of me selling my CRX like 8 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

WELP, I FUCKIN DID IT.

Pretty happy with the purchase. its an excellent commuter and holy gently caress is it a hoot to drive. Im thoroughly surprised at how much sharper this thing steers compared to my 180. I turn off a main road onto my street at a 90 degree angle in a 70km/h zone and in the 180 if you put the boot in you will get the back end to slip out at anything over 70. In the evo, I went in guns blazing and floored it at 100 and the thing just....figured itself out and pulled me around the corner?

its kind of scary how good it is at getting itself around a corner under stress.

Despite being about 70kw short on power at the wheels, it definitely feels a bunch faster than the 180 - probably due to not needing to shift and having a 6 speed.

it has a few scratches and stone chips but cosmetically is in good health, likewise on the engine. getting an occasional fuel smell which I plan to investigate this weekend.

Previous owner was nice enough to film a video of it before he sold it to me too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aajt9M1RDU

• Locked thread