Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Puddin posted:

gently caress that second guy. If you want to do that, buy a ratty one and start from there.

Indeed. They buy a car, spend 10 grand on body modifications (wide body, wheels, GT wings, canards etc) and do loving nothing mechanically to the car and just drive to meets and get photo shoots and other dumb bullshit. they usually end up destroying them too.

For example, this guy:

They like to build cars that are fast and then stanced and handle like poo poo and surprise, cant drive them. at all.

you never see them at track days or sharing technical knowledge, because they dont have any. its all facebook drama and photoshoots and rolling into parking lot meets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
bet the real reason we see so many of those bulky overfenders is becuase its the easiest way to hide quarter panel dents

the worst imo is when people do the welded diff instead of just investing in a cheap suspension kit

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Thief posted:

bet the real reason we see so many of those bulky overfenders is becuase its the easiest way to hide quarter panel dents

the worst imo is when people do the welded diff instead of just investing in a cheap suspension kit

You're not wrong. Also, the S chassis likes to dent the quarters if you roll the rear too aggressively.

Welded diff isn't that bad.... much cheaper than a proper 1/1.5/2 way diff and actually works, unlike the VLSD.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

people get the over fenders because its impossible to find metal quarter panels that arent:

- bent
- dented
- had the arch eaten by rust thanks to rolled/lipped/flared guards.

I tried to find metal panels to replace the bad paint areas and you just cant. White is easily the most common colour too.

the rear quarters do buckle from over-flaring. A friend of mine has installed bladders from footballs in between the sheet metal and just connects a bike pump to inflate the bladder and push it back out :v:

you also see over fenders because everyone whants to put 18x10 wheels with -30 offset on because Time Attack is the new hot look for street cars.

Anyway, car is gone now. maybe I should close the thread and make a new one when I eventually do something to the evo? I was gonna maybe take some of the money from the sale and put it towards getting some nice wheels but I guess that is better suited to the 'what did you do to your ride today' thread.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Laserface posted:

Anyway, car is gone now.

:( I wish I would have bought one of these cars years ago before they were impossible to buy good versions of.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll never forgive you.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I couldnt keep two cars and after driving the evo daily to work, the 180 made for a lousy daily driver. I pulled some back muscles just driving it to work one day.

Evos get a bad rap for being uncomfortable but it was like riding on a god drat cloud in comparison. Even the Recaros which are quite firm are miles more comfortable.

the Evo is everything I ever did to the 180, except factory fitted, and it does everything better.

except skids.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I hear you, as I've gotten older I've appreciated a less "beat the poo poo out of me" ride as well. Still, I looked on craigslist for a bit yesterday just trying to find a clean hatchback that wasn't a total poo poo pile. I tried many different cities, they just don't exist here. :(

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Larrymer posted:

I hear you, as I've gotten older I've appreciated a less "beat the poo poo out of me" ride as well. Still, I looked on craigslist for a bit yesterday just trying to find a clean hatchback that wasn't a total poo poo pile. I tried many different cities, they just don't exist here. :(

I so much appreciate the ride of my Golf R but I cant get rid of my s13, even though it hasnt been driven in over a year.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

D C posted:

I so much appreciate the ride of my Golf R but I cant get rid of my s13, even though it hasnt been driven in over a year.

I was like this.

If I could afford two cars I would still have it. I suppose I could afford two cars if I didn't have the evo, but I too much enjoy the "right time, right place" of an empty on ramp and back roads on the way to work.

I sold it for as much as I paid for it so I basically just borrowed the car to learn basic mechanics and play with big boy mechano. No regrets.

Kid has agreed to keep me updated on how it's going. He was driving it all day yesterday. Reminded me a lot of my self :unsmith:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Laserface posted:

I was like this.

If I could afford two cars I would still have it. I suppose I could afford two cars if I didn't have the evo, but I too much enjoy the "right time, right place" of an empty on ramp and back roads on the way to work.

I sold it for as much as I paid for it so I basically just borrowed the car to learn basic mechanics and play with big boy mechano. No regrets.

Thats prettymuch my deal too, I'm just lucky I have somewhere inside to store it when I'm not working on it. I paid $1800 Canadian dollars for it like 8 years ago now.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I saw a silvia on the road yesterday. It looked pretty unmodified in like it had no spoilers, skirts, wheel arch flares or anything.
E: It had wider wheels(seriously wide, tyres a little stretched to fit in the arches), and a large exhaust (which was quiet). But otherwise totally not ruined.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 11, 2017

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
s13 stuff

i picked up a s13 silvia on tuesday night for cheap

the good;
body is straight, guards are rolled and pumped, sr20det swap is done and has good compression and does run, r200 diff and some extended lca's

the bad;
basically everything else. turbo lines were leaking (PO forgot a washer), paint is hosed, broken windshield, lots of bad wiring,

the plan;
get car running (replace a bunch of lines, basic service, locate a dump pipe or bolt the lovely one back on), add coilovers, new brakes or a 5 stud conversion, wheels and tyres

budget is $5k aud overall inc buying the car to have a solid but ugly practice car

tuesday night we got it up on stands so we could go over it and work out what i need, then we pulled the hotside to sort leaky turbo lines

wednesday night we pulled the radiator so we can flush it plus the block and investigate further. needs some lines replaced as they are old and crusty but so far no major issues.

a friend is giving me a gt2871 to slap on and some bigger injectors that i am collecting saturday. if i can find a z32 AFM it should push 200ish kw but wont be needed immediately, giving the sr a service this weekend then bolting it back together so we can run the engine for more than 30 seconds

its also matsuri up here this weekend, good chance i can pickup the rest of the parts cheap off someones wreck after the weekend

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im helping my mate install braided lines on his Type X this weekend.

how did i get roped into this.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

lines aside its lookin good!

if you wanna save some money just skip the 5 lug conversion. i also only bothered swapping some z32 brakes in the front and its way more than enough if you're just gonna be sliding it around but if you come across cheap parts then why not

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

5 lug is retarded now that there is a heap of manufacturers making JDM Tyte 16" 4 lug wheels in decent sizes.

you can buy blank rotors in 280mm x 30mm or whatever the 300zx TT size is and get hem drilled to 4 stud. the calipers bolt right on. i did this for my first set of calipers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
thread needs new title

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
was only looking at 5 lug because i can get everything for $300 with dual caliper rears and a hydro handbrake setup off one of the lads

this is truly a hand me down build and im getting pretty lucky with parts. except turbo lines, picked up some new braided ones this morning

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
got the sr running this weekend gone with a lot less work than first thought. So far we know it's an early blacktop sr, unknown cams inside of it but it has been opened in the past. Do need to replace a bunch of hardware so I'm on the parts mission this week for studs/gaskets to do at the same time as the t28 I scored yesterday goes on

as it was running I rolled it around the driveway under its own power, clutch is some random heavy thing but it engages fine, box feels ok but the short shifter has to go, and the diff is locked judging by the even black lines on the driveway

ninja edit: I took a picture while it was outside, behold a stock ride height Silvia on mouldy wheels

SquirrelGrip fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 9, 2017

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

SquirrelGrip posted:

got the sr running this weekend gone with a lot less work than first thought. So far we know it's an early blacktop sr, unknown cams inside of it but it has been opened in the past. Do need to replace a bunch of hardware so I'm on the parts mission this week for studs/gaskets to do at the same time as the t28 I scored yesterday goes on

as it was running I rolled it around the driveway under its own power, clutch is some random heavy thing but it engages fine, box feels ok but the short shifter has to go, and the diff is locked judging by the even black lines on the driveway

ninja edit: I took a picture while it was outside, behold a stock ride height Silvia on mouldy wheels

You're in Brisbane yeah? Not sure if they fit, but I have 3 coil packs off a 2001 s15 you can have for free if you need them. (cylinder #4's bit the big one as most s15 do if you leave the cover on.)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

just get all your nissan parts from Taarks. he has everything you need.

I spent all day yesterday helping my 'friend' put new turbo lines on his recently purchased Type X.

'yeah i just need a garage and some extra hands, I have done it before'

then he gets here and has definitely not done it before.

I should have known it was gonna be A Bad Time when there was 3 different sets of headlight wires cable tied to the FMIC piping. Or the washer fluid bottle was hanging in place purely because of the water lines to the jets. Or that it had more sikaflex on the body than paint. Or that it had the upper radiator brackets made out of cable ties. Or that the radiator support was a different colour.

I ended up doing 80% of the work, except for stripping three of the manifold stud threads(as in, in the head) and also the Oil feed thread. He did that on his own.

he also hosed up the brand new braided water feed line that fixes to the rear of the block by removing the worm-drive clamp end and exposing all the frayed steel braid wire. which we then had to handle as we tried to fit it to the nipple.

and he also didnt know he had a custom 2 piece exhaust, and that it did not have the flange on the correct way to attach to an off the shelf front pipe, so he drove it 40km home with a suspect oil feed line to the turbo and the exhaust exiting directly under the car.

but yeah I sold mine because I was sick of dealing with old car bullshit and look at me, offering a helping hand to someone well and truly deep in the old car bullshit pond.

Never again.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Laserface posted:

Never again.

Working on other peoples S13s is the loving worst. You should have seen the wiring harness on my buddies pre swapped SR, iit was the direct reason i ordered a Wiring Specialties swap harness.

Turns out my buddy had already asked a friend to fab out some suspension spacers I need and forgot. I kinda forgot to, its been way to busy to spend time working on my car. Maybe I can get it back on the road before next spring??

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
[quote="“D C”" post="“477235002”"]
Working on other peoples S13s is the loving worst.
[/quote]

my housemate is taking care of all the s13 specifics for me which I am very grateful for, we struck a neat deal where if I come across anything better than what's on his street car for mine we trade parts and he works on mine for free

by tomorrow night I will have coilovers and all the hardware I need to tidy up the hotside with new turbo so it's gonna be a busy weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
busy weekend became rainy weekend, got coilovers in and started mounting new turbo and hardware, found the oil feed from the block is stripped so need to retap it so called it there till i locate something to resolve it

• Locked thread