Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
both apple and microsoft are guilty for this (final cut skipping 8 & 9 and going right to 10 [it sucks] and windows skipping 9 and going to 10 [no opinion on it yet])

but what's so wrong with the number 9? it just makes them look stupid and obviously hateful of the number 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
you know who else said nein?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sniep posted:

you know who else said nein?

rammstein

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
apple had os 9, op, and they even got sued by some embedded systems company who also made something called os-9

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

apple had os 9, op, and they even got sued by some embedded systems company who also made something called os-9

haha i bet that company didn't even have a chance, and they sued based on pure greed and jealously

Mac OS9 was good

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
It used to be that in javascript, parseInt("09") would return 0. But now, it is fixed.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Peanut and the Gang posted:

It used to be that in javascript, parseInt("09") would return 0. But now, it is fixed.

they removed the function?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Peanut and the Gang posted:

would it do the same with any other number with 0 before it, or just 9?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

old buildings many times don't have a floor 9 because it was considered bad luck. the elevators go straight from 8 to 10.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
its weird how with all the numbers superstition people didnt just label floors a b c d e f (well, you know the rest) in the first place

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

power botton posted:

old buildings many times don't have a floor 9 because it was considered bad luck. the elevators go straight from 8 to 10.

many asian countries do the same thing with 4 and 13, including version numbers with software and hardware. mentioned this before, but MIPS release 4 was skipped for this reason

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

there should be multiple 7s because thats a lucky number. it will counteract the unluckiness of 4, 9 and 13

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

newreply.php posted:

its weird how with all the numbers superstition people didnt just label floors a b c d e f (well, you know the rest) in the first place

if you get through the entire alphabet, you just double up the letters like this

aa
bb
cc

and if again you add yet another

aaa
bbb
ccc

and so on

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

if you get through the entire alphabet, you just double up the letters like this

aa
bb
cc

and if again you add yet another

aaa
bbb
ccc

and so on

I was gonna get a candy bar; the button I was supposed to push was "HH", so I went to the side, I found the "H" button, I pushed it twice. Fuckin'...potato chips came out, man, because they had an "HH" button for Christ's sake! You need to let me know. I'm not familiar with the concept of "HH". I did not learn my AA-BB-CC's. God-god dammit-dammit.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

if new letters are added to the alphabet or old ones removed will numbers still be using the legacy system or will they have to be adapted?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
so you wanted a snickers and you got a milky way? do you think i got either when i was a child? NO. we didn't have candy bars. i was lucky to get beans and rice. one christmas i got a scrap of tough chicken and i was THANKFUL. you kids and your candy have no idea what its like to REALLY WANT

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Widdiful posted:

if new letters are added to the alphabet or old ones removed will numbers still be using the legacy system or will they have to be adapted?

There are a lot of secret letters that no one knows about. I know about them, though.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's not really that 9 is so bad, it's just that 10 is loving cool as hell and branding departments can't resist its tempting allure

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
they had to skip it because 7 8 9

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Because :pgi:?

Oh, wrong number 9

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

As a Millennial I posted:

it's not really that 9 is so bad, it's just that 10 is loving cool as hell and branding departments can't resist its tempting allure

i think they are being close-minded. 9 just needs to be one number. 10 has a zero in it. who wants to be seen as only a one and a zero? cloud nine. 9 lives of a cat. level 9. nine is the highest single digit before the numbers start over again. 9 is ultimate

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
9 is sexy. 9 sucks the dick of 6 while it eats out 9's pussy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i think they are being close-minded. 9 just needs to be one number. 10 has a zero in it. who wants to be seen as only a one and a zero? cloud nine. 9 lives of a cat. level 9. nine is the highest single digit before the numbers start over again. 9 is ultimate

apple was smart enough to use roman numerals when they reached 10. microsoft... well, let's just say their choice of numbering systems is like the xbox one's ram: really bad

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

op did you know megaman 10 was released 15 years before megaman 9? see, im thinkin microsoft might do the same thing. the 9 will be here, give it time.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

As a Millennial I posted:

apple was smart enough to use roman numerals when they reached 10. microsoft... well, let's just say their choice of numbering systems is like the xbox one's ram: really bad

Windows X... lol. yes let's put a big X over this windows version. that reminds me, OS X's box in stores had an X over the entire box, but i never saw this as anything negative

Widdiful posted:

op did you know megaman 10 was released 15 years before megaman 9? see, im thinkin microsoft might do the same thing. the 9 will be here, give it time.

thank you this is a comforting thought

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
microsoft skipped 9 because they want ONE all over the place

like seriously who's the dipshit at microsoft who is so desperately in love with ONE as a brand identity thing

you know that's gonna be a prominent bullet point on someone's resume for the rest of their life

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Final Cut Pro ecks

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJeqOoc4HmI

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

by the time the ONE branding gets around to pooping on every microsoft product they will have rebranded twice

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

Final Cut Pro ecks

i can't wait for windows ecks

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

bump_fn posted:

they had to skip it because 7 8 9

was hoping everyone would have the dignity not to post this

alas,

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjQsI8BrTtk

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

microsoft skipped 9 because they want ONE all over the place

like seriously who's the dipshit at microsoft who is so desperately in love with ONE as a brand identity thing

you know that's gonna be a prominent bullet point on someone's resume for the rest of their life

it must be the resident on-site tech prophet that forsees the next MS product release to be so amazing that we the common folk will forsake the love of our lord and savior Jesus Christ and rebrand next year to be YEAR ONE.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
If we skipped every number that is considered unlucky by any ethnic group, we'd have no numbers left.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

sincx posted:

If we skipped every number that is considered unlucky by any ethnic group, we'd have no numbers left.

good. numbers are poo poo for babies and horrible assholes, letter supremacy.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
because 9 8 7

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

sincx posted:

with the exception of 666 vs. white people, i don't think anyone takes numbers that seriously

i posted a while ago that buildings around here don't have a 4th or 13th floor. 13 is obviously the white person unlucky number and 4 is unlucky for chinese.

when people are making these really tough decisions, like where to live, like these really complicated subjective choices, that's when dumb little omens start to appear. they are big life-chancing decisions with so many pros and cons. just watch a property brothers episode or move out of your parents basement to know what i mean.

so you're choosing between a condo in building A on the 13th floor and one in building B on the 14th... and after 3 open houses at each and sleepless nights you're like "ah gently caress it 13 is apparently 'unlucky', lets just get then place building B"

have you ever had to pick a pone number? same thing, they give you like 3 options of phone numbers and you spend like 10 minutes trying to see what they spell and poo poo. and you have to live with that number, so it's a big, subjective decision. this is another place you'll find chinese people avoiding 4's.

also i think you mean cultural group.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

benford's law. 9 is hosed no matter what m8

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

benford's law. 9 is hosed no matter what m8

binford's law: augh augh augh

Adbot