Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
both apple and microsoft are guilty for this (final cut skipping 8 & 9 and going right to 10 [it sucks] and windows skipping 9 and going to 10 [no opinion on it yet])

but what's so wrong with the number 9? it just makes them look stupid and obviously hateful of the number 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sniep posted:

you know who else said nein?

rammstein

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

apple had os 9, op, and they even got sued by some embedded systems company who also made something called os-9

haha i bet that company didn't even have a chance, and they sued based on pure greed and jealously

Mac OS9 was good

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Peanut and the Gang posted:

It used to be that in javascript, parseInt("09") would return 0. But now, it is fixed.

would it do the same with any other number with 0 before it, or just 9?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

power botton posted:

old buildings many times don't have a floor 9 because it was considered bad luck. the elevators go straight from 8 to 10.

many asian countries do the same thing with 4 and 13, including version numbers with software and hardware. mentioned this before, but MIPS release 4 was skipped for this reason

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

newreply.php posted:

its weird how with all the numbers superstition people didnt just label floors a b c d e f (well, you know the rest) in the first place

if you get through the entire alphabet, you just double up the letters like this

aa
bb
cc

and if again you add yet another

aaa
bbb
ccc

and so on

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

As a Millennial I posted:

it's not really that 9 is so bad, it's just that 10 is loving cool as hell and branding departments can't resist its tempting allure

i think they are being close-minded. 9 just needs to be one number. 10 has a zero in it. who wants to be seen as only a one and a zero? cloud nine. 9 lives of a cat. level 9. nine is the highest single digit before the numbers start over again. 9 is ultimate

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
9 is sexy. 9 sucks the dick of 6 while it eats out 9's pussy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

As a Millennial I posted:

apple was smart enough to use roman numerals when they reached 10. microsoft... well, let's just say their choice of numbering systems is like the xbox one's ram: really bad

Windows X... lol. yes let's put a big X over this windows version. that reminds me, OS X's box in stores had an X over the entire box, but i never saw this as anything negative

Widdiful posted:

op did you know megaman 10 was released 15 years before megaman 9? see, im thinkin microsoft might do the same thing. the 9 will be here, give it time.

thank you this is a comforting thought

• Locked thread