Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

let i hug posted:

I don't understand why everyone ITT is insisting that all web apps be written in statically typed languages from the start. My experience is that if you're starting from scratch on something you're not going to understand your end product/the business domain well enough to build anything that you won't want to totally replace after you start gaining momentum. If you know you're going to want to start over again when your app hits ~40k lines of code, why would you spend that time writing in verbose, clunky languages? Better just to code it Ruby/Python/even Node, get it out the door, and then when it starts to get too big on you, just move to microservices in Java/.NET/whatever.

Of course, I'm also a person who doesn't understand people who only ever code in one language and I find writing code to be really easy if you already know exactly what functionality you're implementing. I know a lot of people are afraid of rewrites. But at the same time, coding a system you see being used in "5-10 years" is sort of crazy to me when you're talking about application code. You're not building a matrix manipulation library based on 200 year old math here.

A bad post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread