Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
I've perused COBOL for a few months now, and I haven't seen any heavily Node.js-oriented threads. Has this just not been covered with a megathread, or does COBOL just dislike Node?

I'm so confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Node.js is stupid and the community is poo poo.

It's incredible how staggeringly wrong you are.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

sarehu posted:

El Marrow, what other tools have you used for web development?

SERVERSIDE:
C# / ASP.NET
VB.NET
C + cURL
Python / Django
Ruby / Rails

CLIENTSIDE:
Angular.js
jQuery
Knockout
Ember.js
Handlebars
Atom Shell
EJS
ERB

Deus Rex posted:

Would you mind elaborating on this point? Why is it "duh"?

Because it's a natural fit to have your serverside code natively speak the same language as the services you're drawing or sending data to/from. Duh.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Just because it's possible to write anything in loving javascript doesn't mean it's a good idea.

You're right, but in this case, it's a fantastic idea. Node.js achieves mind-blowing benchmarks, is remarkably stable, and it allows an entire dev shop to work in the same language across the stack. If you've ever managed a development team, you'll immediately see value in this.

more like dICK posted:

NodeJS is legacy. Please refer to the io.js thread, OP.

I was really hoping someone would bring up io.js! :)

sarehu posted:

Javascript is not optimized for networking at all. It's not optimized for the web either (not sure what you mean by optimization, but if you mean in terms of language design... from a web server perspective, it certainly is not). Node.JS is not optimized for networking either. It has a networking library, like anything would have.

And it's almost poetic that its benchmarks and usability blow almost everything else out of the water.

sarehu posted:

Because of reasons, such as callback hell being worse than using threads, and being dynamically typed being worse than being statically typed.

Which is a matter of opinion. Mine being that if you're afraid of callbacks, you're a pussy.

sarehu posted:

Actually, it's because there's a JSON parser in the library, and an HTTP server, just like there is with other languages/frameworks you'd use for web development. Being Javascript gives it no special privileges to either aspect.

That's funny. Last time I checked, you had to import a JSON module into Python to do that.

sarehu posted:

Or you could use other languages that are better, also have lightweight runtimes (except you're running a server so having the JVM is not a problem) and you have to hit a deploy script anyway, it's not like you're editing files in place.

You're right about better languages. Javascript + Node is the ultimate in settling. Sorry, but the JVM is ALWAYS a problem. Everything about the Java ecosystem is worse than cancer.

sarehu posted:

If it's so cool what is Bower for, and don't Python or Ruby or Java and the like have ways to get packages too? Yes, they do.

And none of them have accumulated as many robust and maintained packages in their history as NPM has. As far as NPM vs Bower, perhaps you should take a look at how their dependencies are structured. You might find your answer there.

sarehu posted:

You get the complexity and caveats of event-based programming, which is what multithreading solves. Guess what caveats you get of multithreading: there aren't really any if you're writing a sane web app that only talks to a database and global caching stuff, and doesn't have request handlers sharing global state.

Which is not some Node-specific solution or good thing about Node.JS.

That's cool. Let's compare benchmarks and scalability. In my last position as chief architect of a startup in Atlanta, I ran concurrency and scalability tests until my eyes bled. My jaw hit the floor when I was able to attain 270ms transaction times on high-throughput requests to 250k simulated concurrent users. The beauty of Node in this regard is the event loop, which is the same reason why Nginx is vastly faster than Apache.

Edit: This post came off as a bit salty ;) To each his own.
There are two things in this industry I can't stand:
1. People who are intolerant of other people's languages
2. Java

El Marrow fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 19, 2015

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Steve French posted:

Is 270ms supposed to be impressive?

With 250k concurrent users on a single box? LOL YEAH. I'd say so.

Gawd drat. The elitism is strong here.

• Locked thread