Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I've been loving around with it a little bit and it seems neat. Kind of a nice change of pace from the C# stuff I do at work. I don't know how it would be for a serious project though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Mniot posted:

We use Node at my office. It's pretty great for little start-up companies where you only have one developer and you need a back-end and a front-end and why switch context when you can just live in JS all the time? The V8 engine is pretty spectacular, so you can get a lot of mileage out of this setup. You're often doing most of the work on the front-end, and the back-end is just a layer on the database.

We've been hitting some Node walls lately, because it's not a good general-purpose back-end choice. There's a much higher number of heavily-used libraries that are dumb than I'm used to. Logging kills it (yes, logging kills all back-ends, but Node goes down faster and with fewer users than anything else). Callbacks are great when the chain is short (take a request, hit a DB, hit another web service, reply to the request), but once you have 10 operations to perform, it's hell. If you have 10 operations to perform and you're not doing callbacks, then you're hosed because it's single-threaded.

It's easy to write code, and I'd definitely use Node for prototyping. Beyond that, though, I feel like you either run into trouble or you have to become such a deep expert at the V8 engine and the C libraries that you lose the whole "any dumb programmer can do it" point of Node.

I am, like I said, a neophyte. But isn't this where a promise library would be useful?

• Locked thread