Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

• Python has threading/multiprocessing.
  • Python is better suited to avoiding the callback hell of JS/Node.
  • The norm in Python land is for libraries and the standard library to be well-tested and used in the wild for a long time.

None of these things are true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Hah!

I knew exactly who would post this.

I'm happy my posting is so recognizable.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tao Jones posted:

With Node, I often feel like I have no earthly idea in advance what a function is going to be returning. Is it going to be a promise? Is it going to be an object that isn't a promise? A string? Undefined because something got hosed up?

Similarly, I find I'm often in situations where if I try to deviate slightly from a provided example -- ie, in the tutorial everything is just mashed into one large function but in my code I want to break each piece into smaller functions -- I particularly hit this snag where async fucks things up or there's some weird promise interaction or something.

Is there any kind of cheat sheet or quick and dirty guide to where some common minefields are, or is this just the kind of stuff I just have to bang my head against?

Check the API docs, just like any other library for any other plang.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

lol

• Locked thread