Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
I think people are being unnecessarily negative about node in here. It's great for toy-size apps and prototypes where the problems (potentially unmanageable code, crap debugging, slightly "ehh" performance) aren't going to bite you.

Also, async.js solves every problem I've ever had with unruly callbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

piratepilates posted:

I'm not sure there's a much (reasonably) lower bar than that for a piece of technology. At that point what is it even doing in these toy-size apps and prototypes that any other language isn't doing for you?
Well, of course it doesn't do anything that you couldn't do in Java or Scala or something, but in Node it generally takes (even) less code, usually zero config or boilerplate at all, and while the module system is a bit poo poo compared to Maven, there is a module for literally everything in a way that there isn't even for Java. Some of them are of indifferent quality, but then so is a lot of the open-source poo poo for any language. I also personally find the Node style with callbacks easier to deal with than threads and a lot clearer than sadistic JEE/Spring BeanProxyFactoryProviderServiceProviderProvider-type code, but it seems like I'm the only person in the world who feels that way, so presumably my brain is just wired up wrong.

I dunno, it's got its cons but it's strange that people just blankly won't admit that it's got one or two pros as well.

• Locked thread