Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

neurotech posted:

Thanks. Can any of you share some examples of projects you've created/worked on that demonstrate your suggestions?

See: almost every site on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

pepito sanchez posted:

So may I ask a stupid question? For server-side, and as someone who's learned very little Python: What's the difference between using Django with a RESTful API in mind, and a fully JS app? Apart from the obvious. Both are interpreted languages, and JS has the ability to inject dependency (specially going to be true in JS when ECMA6 is finalized), making them in a way similar in my view, except Python *can* be compiled, and except for the whole callbacks/prototyping fucktruck you can't get around. That's JS. Django really handles performance issues that much better? I'll have to read up more on the whole I/O blocking point for node. I ask humbly, not knowing a poo poo about Python and barely now getting the grasp on JS in the backend.

I'd also like feedback from you/others on recommendations. Would you recommend someone learn Spring instead for server-side code? Or something else? I'd prefer something Java-based, just because it's one of the big focuses for this school semester. I guess you really hate JS, but I like Angular. At my current job I only work front-end, and I work it a lot, so for personal projects I just need a good, small, simple, and maintainable backend. I don't even care what kind of database it uses as long as it's secure. Obviously for small projects I could just use anything, but I like imagining everything might become something huge.

For one thing, many people would argue that there's not much difference between Python and JS because neither have static typing and thus both are bad for large scale, long term projects.

From a usage standpoint there are a lot of similarities between Python and JS. Python+Django isn't a performance beast either.

However, some arguments someone might make for why Python is better than node:

• Python has threading/multiprocessing.
  • Python is better suited to avoiding the callback hell of JS/Node.
  • The norm in Python land is for libraries and the standard library to be well-tested and used in the wild for a long time.
  • If you follow the "modern web development" thread you'll see examples of the shitshow that node libraries are. Dependency management, stable APIs, blah blah blah are wishful thinking.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

None of these things are true.
Hah!

I knew exactly who would post this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Anyway, yes, I agree they're not exactly true which is why I don't claim them. They're just the standard arguments in python vs node arguments.

• Locked thread