Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
I've avoided Laravel just because I'm focusing on learning more Java and JS. It still looks very cool.

This thread has me a bit curious and I'd like input from people with actual experience.

I've been learning the MEAN stack. For the first time working with mongodb. What's so wrong with node? Because despite the previous lol in this thread the benchmarks for node are nice. Does it break down on larger production-scale apps? It looks fast, and IS easy. I avoided mongo for a long time because people were having serious doubts about its security, but with recent updates it's apparently a viable choice again.

On the other hand I could dedicate myself to learning Spring with Angular on a RESTful API. Spring looks cool, simple, and just as easy. Perhaps with more flexibility than the MEAN stack.

Production time is a factor as well, and both seem about equal, simply depending on the size of the project.

I've worked with Angular a lot using REST services. It's been more of a front-end adventure than full-stack, so I'm at a point where I'm deciding on where to dedicate my learning time on backend stuff. I've already made full-stack apps with C# MVC5 and (embarrassingly) with a very bad backend that I won't name right now. MVC5 is very cool to work with, I just despite IIS because of its MS requirement. I almost learned Ruby on Rails but stopped myself, because recent articles on Ruby really makes it look like it has a bad future. I'm just looking for options and input; and something Java or JS based seems like the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

So may I ask a stupid question? For server-side, and as someone who's learned very little Python: What's the difference between using Django with a RESTful API in mind, and a fully JS app? Apart from the obvious. Both are interpreted languages, and JS has the ability to inject dependency (specially going to be true in JS when ECMA6 is finalized), making them in a way similar in my view, except Python *can* be compiled, and except for the whole callbacks/prototyping fucktruck you can't get around. That's JS. Django really handles performance issues that much better? I'll have to read up more on the whole I/O blocking point for node. I ask humbly, not knowing a poo poo about Python and barely now getting the grasp on JS in the backend.

I'd also like feedback from you/others on recommendations. Would you recommend someone learn Spring instead for server-side code? Or something else? I'd prefer something Java-based, just because it's one of the big focuses for this school semester. I guess you really hate JS, but I like Angular. At my current job I only work front-end, and I work it a lot, so for personal projects I just need a good, small, simple, and maintainable backend. I don't even care what kind of database it uses as long as it's secure. Obviously for small projects I could just use anything, but I like imagining everything might become something huge.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Okay so Django is another no. Thanks for the replies. I still think Python is a pretty cool language, just for small projects. I'm just slowly making a game on the side with it, and it's a joy to play with, really like a toy language where you can see the structure of a real language play out in simplified pseudo-code (almost).

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

gbaby posted:

all web dev languages suck

if there's anything you could gather from all of these threads put together it's this. there is no good option. maybe php and i refuse to learn php out of pure spite.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Getting a bit into doing TypeScript for Angular and it's pretty useful with all the definitions already out there and made, and the new Visual Studio Code IDE. Seems VSC is pretty much made for work with node and express too from all this code completion and intellisense. I mean I don't know if this improves on Node at all, since the main complaint and downside I keep seeing is the obvious fact that it's somewhat "new" in the bad constantly changing way and probably going to be something completely different in a year, but at least it's nice to learn for front-end development, and finally have something like a type system and OOP for JS.

Sadly this thread has made me lean away from leaning JS-based backend, or maybe not so sadly? Either way I've been focusing more on what Java has to offer. I would probably go back to .NET MVC, but I initially learned MVC4, then MVC5, and now it's MVC6, and from what I've seen on articles quite a bit's changed, and it's just grown a bit tiresome sticking to that. I don't know.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

more like dICK posted:

You could just do your prototypes with a good language :shrug:

ES6 does prototypal inheritance pretty easy and straightforward, i think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CozSF5abcTA

i just use typescript to transpile into es5 but i'm sure there must be some alternative out there.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
async.js looks really good. thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
locally here in south america i can say the the biggest (and international) web-dev companies use ruby on rails, and angular, so that must be working somehow despite the critics. and they're always looking for people skilled in either newer tech.

at the same time, some large companies use node and mongodb. maybe it's all like facebook and companies adapt? i don't know. in COBOL or YOSPOS you'll find people that give a bad impression about any language or framework. you just have to do your own research and make up your own mind.

web development seems pretty easy to me because of the magic behind modern frameworks. .NET's MVC is pure magic, and i've worked front-end with angular. Spring so far from what i've been learning is nearly as magical as MVC with everything simply being done for you. i'm sure Django must be a similar experience. maybe even easier if not as robust. it's to come down to what gives you (me!) the least headaches in the long run. learning angular was a loving headache but i think worth it. since i've only done tiny projects with node/express i imagine it might be the same headache there.

or just learn PHP and do the tried and trusted.

• Locked thread