Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

El Marrow posted:

I've perused COBOL for a few months now, and I haven't seen any heavily Node.js-oriented threads. Has this just not been covered with a megathread, or does COBOL just dislike Node?

I'm so confused.

Node.js is stupid and the community is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

El Marrow posted:

It's incredible how staggeringly wrong you are.

Like, the idea behind node.js is offensive to me. "Let's take javascript, and run it on the server." gently caress, man, seriously? I don't like Ruby on Rails or Django either but the world didn't need a bunch of assholes trying to get javascript to run on a server. They also like trying to make a "native like" platform for web apps, but using javascript for the user interface. There are better tools for doing both of these things. Just because it's possible to write anything in loving javascript doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Gul Banana posted:

this is a genuine use case for javascript on the server - but it might still not count for node. using node for ssr, you have the overhead of process creation and startup on every web request - or at best, serialised ipc.. to a manually managed pool of processes since they're each single threaded. that's a good way to waste hundreds of milliseconds and hit scaling bottlenecks. it's easier just to embed v8 or some other javascript engine in-process of whatever you're using for the server.

honestly, maybe there's really a use case for doing something like that (like having to support IE8 or some other bullshit), but talking about pre-rendering javascript on the server to "improve performance" is a big sign that I'm going to have to throw out the project and start from scratch - up there with "javascript caching and data layer." Both are signs that you have old people trying to do front-end work.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Series DD Funding posted:

Trick question: web applications shouldn't be built at all

Ding ding ding!

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

pepito sanchez posted:

So may I ask a stupid question? For server-side, and as someone who's learned very little Python: What's the difference between using Django with a RESTful API in mind, and a fully JS app? Apart from the obvious. Both are interpreted languages, and JS has the ability to inject dependency (specially going to be true in JS when ECMA6 is finalized), making them in a way similar in my view, except Python *can* be compiled, and except for the whole callbacks/prototyping fucktruck you can't get around. That's JS. Django really handles performance issues that much better? I'll have to read up more on the whole I/O blocking point for node. I ask humbly, not knowing a poo poo about Python and barely now getting the grasp on JS in the backend.

I'd also like feedback from you/others on recommendations. Would you recommend someone learn Spring instead for server-side code? Or something else? I'd prefer something Java-based, just because it's one of the big focuses for this school semester. I guess you really hate JS, but I like Angular. At my current job I only work front-end, and I work it a lot, so for personal projects I just need a good, small, simple, and maintainable backend. I don't even care what kind of database it uses as long as it's secure. Obviously for small projects I could just use anything, but I like imagining everything might become something huge.

Nobody was saying Django or Ruby on Rails are good ideas either! They really aren't! And Angular is really, really loving stupid even by web dev standards. Most commercial web developers couldn't find their own asses with two hands and a map.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

pepito sanchez posted:

if there's anything you could gather from all of these threads put together it's this. there is no good option. maybe php and i refuse to learn php out of pure spite.

Just learn C#/ASP.NET MVC if you can tolerate Microsoft and IIS, or Java/Spring MVC if you don't like Microsoft, and just learn how to do javascript front end without relying on monolithic javascript "frameworks" that suck rear end.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Uziel posted:

Geez, I was exploring trying something other than C#/.NET for server side, and this thread has scared me away from that entirely.

It's not really a bad thing to set these technologies up on your own and learn whats up. And node has its uses in like one-off/internal projects, it's just that you're committing malpractice by deliberately choosing to use this poo poo in production environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Stoph posted:

The error handling really is poo poo in Node.js.

Clojure seems like a better full stack language if that's the reason you're picking Node.js. Anyone tried that?

Clojure is a cool idea but debugging it was printlns and dark magic a few months ago when I was messing with it.

I might try a project using scala/spring mvc just to see how that works out.

• Locked thread