Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

neurotech posted:

I'm seeing a lot of making GBS threads on node, but not much in terms of advice, suggestions or recommendations about alternatives.

If not node, then what should web applications be built on?

piratepilates posted:

Django or Flask are pretty good for Python based web applications, for large large scale web applications then the various big Java frameworks (JEE, Spring, whatever weird enterprise poo poo is here), for smaller scale web applications then Dropwizard for Java, maybe Play on Scala, maybe Clojure has a nice one. One of those is probably good enough.

edit: Oh right and C# with ASP.NET MVC or WebApi or whatever that's all called

I think Java EE is deprecated in favor of Spring and Jetty. They're pretty hella fast and not bad to develop in. Lift/Play appear to be popular, but I wasn't overly fond of the abundance of mandatory structure, last time I tried them.

I develop in Django for work and it's generally not too bad, but it has problems when you need to refactor, and sometimes it's nice to have the assumptions assured by a statically typed language. I've used Flask for tiny personal projects and that's especially nice if you don't need any fancy ORM stuff. (I'm a slut for the Django ORM. Fight me.) I rather like it overall, and being able to play in the Django shell is incredibly useful when you want to experiment.

While I'm not a frontend developer, I'm familiar with JS + Underscore + jQuery from my last job. It works well enough on the browser, and with jQuery handy it seems to remove a lot of the warts. Perhaps I just don't understand the need that Node satisfies. I mean, sure having a singular language is handy, but I always feel like the difference in dialect/use between what you're doing user side and server side is so different that you might as well use different languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I work in a company more than seven years old. Our backend is Python, Django, and Postgres. I completely agree that the lack of static typing is the one thing that hurts most in Python. We're at ~125k lines and refactoring loving sucks. That said, the biggest heart aches come from the UI, which is Angular and not developed by my team. We got bitten by a dependency freeze problem in a production deploy. Bower (or whatever the gently caress they use) had specified an approximate package, so testing went through staging and QA fine, but broke in prod because the package got updated. It also was still broken on the roll back, which was a pants-shittingly good time for everyone.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

TodPunk posted:

Webdev is just terrible all around. It pays the bills, but having done embedded dev, application dev, systems dev, and FAA bureaucracy laden versions of some of that, web dev is definitely the more clown shoes of the bunch.

It's probably misplaced nostalgia, but oh for the days when there were tons of dedicated desktop applications communicating over protocols other than HTTP. :allears:

• Locked thread