Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

This trips me out a little since I live within driving distance of two pretty healthy malls. Are they really on the way out in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Grand Prize Winner posted:

This trips me out a little since I live within driving distance of two pretty healthy malls. Are they really on the way out in general?

do you live in the midwest? than probably yeah, they are dying.

do you live in a prosperous upper-middle-upper class area? then they are doing great.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Osaka Stadium

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That is a loving work of art.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Accretionist posted:

A strikingly large parking lot.

I hate that parking lot.
lol Oklahoma City is horrific

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

fuctifino posted:

Osaka Stadium

This freakin owns

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

fuctifino posted:

Osaka Stadium

why

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Osaka Stadium

I see where Bethesda got the inspiration for Diamond City from.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

fuctifino posted:

Osaka Stadium

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arles_Amphitheatre#After_Rome

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Stayed in a dutch hotel on the way to the holiday vacation, this was the view from my room:

This was next to it:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Osaka Stadium

I imagine there are better uses for the open space in a city but if the outer part was converted to apartments/shops it is pretty neat.

What are those panels sticking out of it? Are they to block the sun at some certain angle or just for show?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Osaka stadium was a model home showcase after it was retired as a stadium. It's gone altogether now.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

CampingCarl posted:

I imagine there are better uses for the open space in a city but if the outer part was converted to apartments/shops it is pretty neat.

What are those panels sticking out of it? Are they to block the sun at some certain angle or just for show?
There used to be an unused office block near where my brother lives at the end of two streets of terraced houses. A year or two ago it got converted into flats, but apparently enough rotten cuntspeople in the terraced houses complained about the flats overlooking their gardens that all the windows on the block now have huge shutters sort of like those in the pic, except they go across the window, completely blocking their view of *anything* plus like 90% of daylight so they can't really be called windows any more. Looks utterly ridiculous and must suck for the residents.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cacafuego posted:

It's Oklahoma, what the hell else are they going to put there?

Mormon Vatican.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 5, 2016

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

Osaka stadium was a model home showcase after it was retired as a stadium. It's gone altogether now.

They replaced it with a terraced park / shopping arcade now . It's a mall so its not all that great, but it ends up being a pretty cool way to add usable greenspace to the city

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
A bit late on Shardchat, but the first time I saw it (not British) was on that one Doctor Who episode, and until I thought to actually look it up I was convinced it was made up for the show. It just seems so out of place. Neat looking building, but it would have made perfect sense for it to have been made up for Doctor Who as the token futuristic office building occupied by drones under the control of an alien intelligence.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Pead posted:

They replaced it with a terraced park / shopping arcade now . It's a mall so its not all that great, but it ends up being a pretty cool way to add usable greenspace to the city

Nobody escapes the labyrinth mall. Nobody!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the laws and regulations in america for parking and parking lots are often hilarious and sad

As someone that now designs parking structures I can back this up.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

A Winner is Jew posted:

As someone that now designs parking structures I can back this up.

plz post about this :allears:

we have so much lovely parking in my town, especially downtown. i think it was even mentioned a few dozen pages back (minneapolis). there are a ton of these crappy surface lots with crumbling asphalt/concrete, ugly wastes of space that are bad for the environment, both the natural environment and the human one. they also must be incredibly profitable, because you can usually find a lot near your destination where you can park for literally nickels per hour. it seems like there are a lot of contributing factors to this status quo, though: the property tax system, mediocre public transportation, lingering effects and attitudes of white flight

the only other thing i really know about this issue is that sometimes businesses are required to provide parking, often regardless of how much parking there is in the area otherwise, or how much their customers even use cars. and there often isn't an upper limit to the requirement, or proper incentives to discourage over-building, so you end up with these huge asphalt seas that barely ever show any significant percentage of spaces filled.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still say, and I've said it in this thread before, that parking requirements are fine as long as it's UNDERGROUND parking. The only problems are wah wah wah it's expensive <fart>.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Pead posted:

Somebody enjoyed Olympus from Appleseed.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Pead posted:

I've been there. It's pretty cool. I vaguely remember that some random Japanese guy bought me coffee icecream.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Pead posted:

That's pretty.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

CampingCarl posted:

it might give you a little ledge by the window you could keep plants on. wouldn't surprise me if it's also for the "lol how wacky" factor, though

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Lutha Mahtin posted:

we have so much lovely parking in my town, especially downtown. i think it was even mentioned a few dozen pages back (minneapolis). there are a ton of these crappy surface lots with crumbling asphalt/concrete, ugly wastes of space that are bad for the environment, both the natural environment and the human one. they also must be incredibly profitable, because you can usually find a lot near your destination where you can park for literally nickels per hour. it seems like there are a lot of contributing factors to this status quo, though: the property tax system, mediocre public transportation, lingering effects and attitudes of white flight

the only other thing i really know about this issue is that sometimes businesses are required to provide parking, often regardless of how much parking there is in the area otherwise, or how much their customers even use cars. and there often isn't an upper limit to the requirement, or proper incentives to discourage over-building, so you end up with these huge asphalt seas that barely ever show any significant percentage of spaces filled.

Most if not all of those downtown surface lots are just land being held by speculators waiting for the value to go up. Once the immediate area starts getting hot they'll be sold to developers and poo poo will get built there. Until then, giving it a cheap paving job and leasing it to one of the local parking companies is just a way for the current owner to generate some cash flow and offset property taxes. If they weren't parking lots, they'd just be empty plots of land. No one buys expensive urban land solely for the purpose of making it a parking lot. (Of course, depending on the location, it may be years or even decades before the values rise enough for the owner to sell, so it might well remain a parking lot for quite a while...)

Also, minimum parking space laws usually apply to businesses in suburban or rural areas where there is no public parking. When all of the nearby parking lots are owned by other businesses (who will often tow non-customers' cars if it starts to become an issue), you can end up with a real mess if a business doesn't have enough parking. Of course, those laws do lead to even more urban sprawl; every big store or shopping center needs acres of land for parking, so it becomes very difficult for density to increase and poo poo just keeps spreading out further and further.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Seconding this.

blugu64 posted:

Even Okies don't want to live like ants all packed in and crawling all over each other.

I can agree on not wanting to be too packed together, but American suburbs are not a good answer to the problem, better city planning is. Sadly capitalism makes that very hard to do, if it is even possible.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Lutha Mahtin posted:

What do you want to know?

Horror stories about contractors not knowing how to properly form concrete and literally ruining a multi-million dollar building?

How loving up a single number on a plan can cost millions of dollars?

I know everyone talks poo poo about parking structures because they're usually ugly and reinforce commuter traffic, but most of the time it's a super effective use of space and they don't have to look ugly if they spend a bit of money on making them not look like poo poo.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

A Winner is Jew posted:

What do you want to know?

Horror stories about contractors not knowing how to properly form concrete and literally ruining a multi-million dollar building?

How loving up a single number on a plan can cost millions of dollars?

Yes

Yes

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
It may be BS but I heard a story recently that a Walmart project went sideways when the plumbing plan of the pipes and stuff in the slab was mirror image to all the other plans, slab got poured and consequently demolished when the error was discovered.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

So I can't post pictures or go into a ton of specifics because (a) it will give away where I work and (b) there are still some pending lawsuits on these.

Now, concrete isn't that hard to do yet you would be literally shocked (horrified) when you realize just how many concrete contractors... people who's only job is to manage concrete pours, are complete and utter gently caress-ups. (And no joke, the US has arguably the most talented contractors in the world, I have even more horror stories about Chinese projects) Now I'm not talking about mom+pop contractors you hire to pour a patio, we're talking about firms that have been around long enough and have had enough capital to purchase concrete pumping vehicles that size of 18 wheelers.

For instance on the one project I was referring to, national ADA requires you to have a 8'2" clearance from the top of the slab to the bottom of the beam so you can drive an ambulance beneath them, and not just in the drive isle. This is a pretty big requirement that's been around for decades so it's not like it's new and it's why when we design things we usually give the guys in the field 2" above that because poo poo happens and :lol: if you think they can build poo poo as accurate as you've designed something to. Now typically the huge concrete beams on structures get poured into a form and because concrete is loving heavy they will place a bunch of hydraulic jacks under the forms so stay relatively level and don't sag to the point of not getting that 8'-2" clearance... only apparently not on this project.

So when they took the concrete forms off and there was as much as 8" of sag on some of the longer spans. Ok... you can chip away at the concrete to get your clearance right? Well the slight problem with that is the structural rebar buried in the beams is only about 4" above the bottom of the column. Quick math on that says not only are you chipping away 6" of concrete, but you'd also have to remove the rebar in the column itself which is the entire point of that column. So yeah, brand new structure had to be demolished and rebuilt because of that gently caress-up... and they found that on level one after they just poured the 5th level.

The second one isn't all that glamours, but basically someone thought it would be a good idea to try their hand at calculating finish floor elevations when they didn't know how to actually calculate finish floor elevations. Now normally that wouldn't be the end of the world, but when it's at the doorway of a wrap project (parking structure is wrapped by residential units) that interfaces with the building surrounding it, and they hosed up the finish floor elevation by 6" you run into an issue that cost the firm in question about 1/2 million dollars to fix it, both in extra materials and extra engineering fees. That's however not that bad since that firm is still in business while the concrete contractor above just declared bankruptcy, the construction administration firm that was overseeing the construction and should have caught that poo poo also just went bankrupt, and the general contractor that hired both of them are in serious poo poo.

Bogatyr posted:

It may be BS but I heard a story recently that a Walmart project went sideways when the plumbing plan of the pipes and stuff in the slab was mirror image to all the other plans, slab got poured and consequently demolished when the error was discovered.

This sounds right. Coordinating the MEP on a project is huge which is why people like me get paid retarded sums of money to build accurate models that virtually build an entire project before they even break ground.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 8, 2016

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

This sounds right. Coordinating the MEP on a project is huge which is why people like me get paid retarded sums of money to build accurate models that virtually build an entire project before they even break ground.

BIM is great until you start getting electrical panels feeding themselves. I'm consistently amazed by revit and not in a good way.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

keyboard vomit posted:

BIM is great until you start getting electrical panels feeding themselves. I'm consistently amazed by revit and not in a good way.

Yeah, Revit is great for everything except for electrical design and has been for years. You're much better off using AutoCAD MEP (devices are your friend) since it's much, much better for electrical design while still giving you about 95-98% of the BIM functionality that Revit gives you.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
What's BIM please? Fascinating stories, BTW. More please!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

WMain00 posted:

Nobody escapes the labyrinth mall. Nobody!

Horton Plaza in San Diego owns. The bottom of the rabbit hole is a cinnabon or something.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

A Winner is Jew posted:

So I can't post pictures or go into a ton of specifics because (a) it will give away where I work and (b) there are still some pending lawsuits on these.

Thank you, this is awesome.

My mother was in retail property management - basically handled shopping malls from construction to keeping it together when it was full of tenants and shoppers - and I did clerical work there to help pay my way through college.

I knew about the gently caress-ups she dealt with, but nothing on that scale.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Pead posted:

Chinatown posted:

Horton Plaza in San Diego owns. The bottom of the rabbit hole is a cinnabon or something.

I have lots of weird dreams about wandering around shopping malls, where I live in a loving shopping mall or my undergrad college has been made into one

these look like them and make my head kind of hurt

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

therattle posted:

What's BIM please? Fascinating stories, BTW. More please!

BIM stands for Building Information Model. You'll find plenty of fancy videos on YouTube if you type in your question without the "please", but it all boils down to making a detailed, unified model of a building and the construction process rather than having separate people do a bunch of blueprints and a vague schedule. At least in theory.

The idea is to avoid situations where you have e.g. a HVAC duct blocking the sprinkler piping because nobody cross-checked the blueprints. It won't stop architectural disasters if the concept is flawed or prevent construction workers bungling things, but it does reduce ambiguity and conflict in plans.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

c.f. those horrible schools a few pages ago

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, Revit is great for everything except for electrical design and has been for years. You're much better off using AutoCAD MEP (devices are your friend) since it's much, much better for electrical design while still giving you about 95-98% of the BIM functionality that Revit gives you.

If you set electrical equipment to a "Demolished" phase it just deletes it.

The MEP side of revit is jankey as hell but its required where I work so its what I'm stuck with. At leas t device placement is easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Sereri posted:

Stayed in a dutch hotel on the way to the holiday vacation, this was the view from my room:

This was next to it:

dutch architecture tends to be really wacko cubist stuff like this though. like all the architects there got their inspiration from their kids not cleaning up their legos or somethin

• Locked thread