Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Harald posted:

what's the story?...never seen these.

Let's call it guerrilla urban planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Harald posted:

bush lied people died

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

down n out posted:

Kowloon City was definitely an impressive failure though. Nothing like living in an ultra dense mega-slum.

Wow are there no stairways in there? Is it even possible to get to your apartment without walking through a bunch of living rooms?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Harald posted:

google ron paul

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Three Olives posted:

It was originally supposed to be half as tall but the developer couldn't sell any units so naturally the police and fire pension fund was like "Rich people will love this, build it twice as tall!" They named it Museum Tower.

The design of the tower focused light on a museum next door that has a glass roof founded by one of the most powerful and wealthiest families in the city and made it where they had to put a lot of their art in storage, destroyed another piece of art and killed a few trees so no rich people wanted to buy units in a building that ruined a museum and seriously loving pissed off one of the most influential families in the city.

It's been open like 2 years and I think they have sold like 30 of over 100 units.

So this is where your condo is

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
I think Ottawa could fill up this entire thread. Most tourist locations in the city such as the Parliament hill, the ByWard market and the large number of museums scattered throughout the city don’t accurately convey the bland soviet era brutalist architecture which makes up a very large part of the city. A quote which sums up the city quite well: Ottawa Citizen architecture critic Rhys Phillips has echoed these concerns, saying that Ottawa "looks like some tired little Prairie town on its last legs.”. Let’s get started with some of my favourite architectural monstrosities (AKA half the city once you go south of Wellington Street past the parliament buildings).
University of Ottawa and surrounding areas

The University of Ottawa flak tower also serves as a library from time to time.

Giant complex of bland apartments south of campus. Lots of students rent apartments in these buildings.

Downtown Core

Lovely 8 or 9 story windowless block of concrete sitting right in the middle of down town Ottawa. Building takes up about half a block and casts shade all around it. I think it serves as a large mechanical building for a telecom in the region.

Your average Government of Canada monstrosity built in the 1970’s. Usually packed with asbestos and featuring poor ventilation – as you can imagine employees are sick half the time. Unfortunately the Government of Canada owns a lot of these awful properties throughout the city which really the area a bad look. “In an era of political discontent over high taxes it was even a priority that the buildings not be cheap, but also look cheap so that visitors from the regions wouldn't feel that the federal government was wasting their money in Ottawa.”

Here are some of the awful condos in the downtown core. No this is not the Soviet Union and more shocking is that people actually buy these with their money… Condo fees are insanely high for these types of building which probably reflects upkeep cost due to the age and cheapness of the building

Another apartment

The police station

The library

The National Arts Center, another giant slab of concrete

View from the Parliament (lol we ran out of money for windows OR planning was so bad the building supposed to be behind was never built)

Note that this doesn't even cover a tenth of the terrible crap in Ottawa. Multiply the asbestos filled bland government buildings and Soviet style condo / apartment towers scattered throughout the area and that should give you a pretty good feel for the city. Ottawa is a city where architecture goes to die.

Deathreaper fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 19, 2015

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
Kowloon walled city is incredible and meritits own thread.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Deathreaper posted:

I think Ottawa could fill up this entire thread. Most tourist locations in the city such as the Parliament hill, the ByWard market and the large number of museums scattered throughout the city don’t accurately convey the bland soviet era brutalist architecture which makes up a very large part of the city. A quote which sums up the city quite well: Ottawa Citizen architecture critic Rhys Phillips has echoed these concerns, saying that Ottawa "looks like some tired little Prairie town on its last legs.”. Let’s get started with some of my favourite architectural monstrosities (AKA half the city once you go south of Wellington Street past the parliament buildings).

Giant complex of bland apartments south of campus. Lots of students rent apartments in these buildings.

Downtown Core

Lovely 8 or 9 story windowless block of concrete sitting right in the middle of down town Ottawa. Building takes up about half a block and casts shade all around it. I think it serves as a large mechanical building for a telecom in the region.

Your average Government of Canada monstrosity built in the 1970’s. Usually packed with asbestos and featuring poor ventilation – as you can imagine employees are sick half the time. Unfortunately the Government of Canada owns a lot of these awful properties throughout the city which really the area a bad look. “In an era of political discontent over high taxes it was even a priority that the buildings not be cheap, but also look cheap so that visitors from the regions wouldn't feel that the federal government was wasting their money in Ottawa.”

Here are some of the awful condos in the downtown core. No this is not the Soviet Union and more shocking is that people actually buy these with their money… Condo fees are insanely high for these types of building which probably reflects upkeep cost due to the age and cheapness of the building

Another apartment

The police station

The library

View from the Parliament (lol we ran out of money for windows OR planning was so bad the building supposed to be behind was never built)

Note that this doesn't even cover a tenth of the terrible crap in Ottawa. Multiply the asbestos filled bland government buildings and Soviet style condo / apartment towers scattered throughout the area and that should give you a pretty good feel for the city. Ottawa is a city where architecture goes to die.

Looks like Detroit pre-Delta City.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
That would be the city hall of Dallas, TX. Which probably also warrants a post in this thread.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

having grown up in dallas, dallas city hall is the city hall dallas deserves

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

CoffeeBooze posted:

That would be the city hall of Dallas, TX. Which probably also warrants a post in this thread.

I dunno, I kind of like the design.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

BigBoss posted:

Toronto isn't some summer vacation hotspot people visit for a few weeks.

no but people who own top-floor condos usually own residential property in more than one place.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Reminds me of the humanities building at UW Madison

Personally I like the style

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

these two are dope, the rest of it is pretty hellish

although i do have a perverted fondness for those 60s/70s recessed windows in a concrete matrix, like this one:

quote:

also the police station is rad, appropriately ominous

quote:

nomadologique fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 19, 2015

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
i don't know why architects ever thought it would be a good idea to build largely windowless buildings. like, what's the thought process there? how did that even become a popular school of design?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauvais_Cathedral

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arian_Samurai posted:

Reminds me of the humanities building at UW Madison

Personally I like the style

If prison is your style.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volcott posted:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

i don't know why architects ever thought it would be a good idea to build largely windowless buildings. like, what's the thought process there? how did that even become a popular school of design?

Wikiped says: "brutalism became favored for many government projects, high-rise housing, and shopping centers to create an architectural image that communicated strength, functionality, and frank expression of materiality."

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Under repairs for almost 750 years

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Volcott posted:

Wikiped says: "brutalism became favored for many government projects, high-rise housing, and shopping centers to create an architectural image that communicated strength, functionality, and frank expression of materiality."
It's good stuff. No bullshit.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Strudel Man posted:

It's good stuff. No bullshit.
Brutalism is the ideal video game architecture style, as it provides the correct ambiance of oppression and totalitarianism while being constructed out of mostly primitive shapes.

Also god bless you for never changing your custom title.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i'd love to live in a plate glass house with no curtains up on a great big hill where everyone can see it in a town with the most intrusive photographers per capita in the world

That house is for people that want to get photographed for being rich fucks up on a great big hill where everyone can see them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ivor Biggun posted:

:spergin: Goons would design for maximum efficiency

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
this thread is illegal and belongs in the architecture and urban design subforum

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"Nah, it'll hold"

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

"Nah, it'll hold"

What's the story behind this? Earthquake + ground liquefaction? Or lovely engineering which resulted in horrible foundation settling?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
If I recall I don't think the building had any foundation what so ever.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Volcott posted:

The real problem with Dallas City hall is it was specifically designed to be really unfriendly. I mean not in the brutalist "It is what it is" statement, it was an implicate "If we make it looks really imposing and unfriendly people won't want to protest here" . Designing a city hall to be intentionally vaguely threatening and unpleasant to it's citizens is problematic.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Three Olives posted:

The real problem with Dallas City hall is it was specifically designed to be really unfriendly. I mean not in the brutalist "It is what it is" statement, it was an implicate "If we make it looks really imposing and unfriendly people won't want to protest here" . Designing a city hall to be intentionally vaguely threatening and unpleasant to it's citizens is problematic.

yeah during the immigrants rights rallies circa 2006 having tens of thousands of ppl outside the most aggressive building design ever was super weird

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think some dorm on campus is built in the brutalist style or something.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

it does exactly what it was designed to do.

that's not really how the word "problematic" is used.

troubling? perhaps. revealing? definitely. problematic? not really. systems of oppression have all sorts of problematic aspects deserving of inquiry, investigation, and critique, but that they are systems of oppression is not really one of those aspects (unless you are trying to decide what is and isn't a system of oppression).

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Honestly, tumblr has ruined the word problematic for me.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Volcott posted:

Honestly, tumblr has ruined the word problematic for me.

Please tag your posts. This is very triggering.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

Deathreaper posted:

Downtown Core

Another apartment

The police station

The library

The Canadian Children's Museum is angry!

But agreed. You have that featureless urban core surrounded by joyless urban sprawl in every direction (Carlington being the worst) At least it has the parks and the canal to beautify the place. On the whole, I'd say Gatineau is a lot nicer.

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster

Nefarious posted:

lol at people getting mad over the frank lloyd wright house. if goons designed houses they'd be windowless pyramids. can't get any more efficient than that

hel yeah that'd be rad as poo poo slate grey too

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

down n out posted:

Kowloon City was definitely an impressive failure though. Nothing like living in an ultra dense mega-slum.

If it hadn't been torn down it would have stood for eternity. No room for anything to fall.

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
i wanna live ina loving concrete tomb

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All of Ottawa was constructed in the 1970's, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sestze posted:

Brutalism is the ideal video game architecture style, as it provides the correct ambiance of oppression and totalitarianism while being constructed out of mostly primitive shapes.

Also god bless you for never changing your custom title.
Why would I change it, I have the best title/avatar on the forums.

• Locked thread