Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Deathreaper posted:

I think Ottawa could fill up this entire thread. Most tourist locations in the city such as the Parliament hill, the ByWard market and the large number of museums scattered throughout the city don’t accurately convey the bland soviet era brutalist architecture which makes up a very large part of the city. A quote which sums up the city quite well: Ottawa Citizen architecture critic Rhys Phillips has echoed these concerns, saying that Ottawa "looks like some tired little Prairie town on its last legs.”. Let’s get started with some of my favourite architectural monstrosities (AKA half the city once you go south of Wellington Street past the parliament buildings).
University of Ottawa and surrounding areas

The University of Ottawa flak tower also serves as a library from time to time.

Giant complex of bland apartments south of campus. Lots of students rent apartments in these buildings.

Downtown Core

Lovely 8 or 9 story windowless block of concrete sitting right in the middle of down town Ottawa. Building takes up about half a block and casts shade all around it. I think it serves as a large mechanical building for a telecom in the region.

Your average Government of Canada monstrosity built in the 1970’s. Usually packed with asbestos and featuring poor ventilation – as you can imagine employees are sick half the time. Unfortunately the Government of Canada owns a lot of these awful properties throughout the city which really the area a bad look. “In an era of political discontent over high taxes it was even a priority that the buildings not be cheap, but also look cheap so that visitors from the regions wouldn't feel that the federal government was wasting their money in Ottawa.”

Here are some of the awful condos in the downtown core. No this is not the Soviet Union and more shocking is that people actually buy these with their money… Condo fees are insanely high for these types of building which probably reflects upkeep cost due to the age and cheapness of the building

Another apartment

The police station

The library

The National Arts Center, another giant slab of concrete

View from the Parliament (lol we ran out of money for windows OR planning was so bad the building supposed to be behind was never built)

Note that this doesn't even cover a tenth of the terrible crap in Ottawa. Multiply the asbestos filled bland government buildings and Soviet style condo / apartment towers scattered throughout the area and that should give you a pretty good feel for the city. Ottawa is a city where architecture goes to die.

This is what my apartment looks like
There are about 40 of pretty much this exact same building spread across this godforsaken city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hungry for crepes n shit
Aug 17, 2005

Deathreaper posted:

Giant complex of bland apartments south of campus. Lots of students rent apartments in these buildings.

I lived in the building on the left for 16 years. Until they renovated, the hallways were carpeted in Chinese red with matching wallpaper. It was like walking through a blood vessel.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Efficient, but problematic.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Drink Cheerwine posted:

this thread is illegal and belongs in the architecture and urban design subforum

gip?

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

I always liked the look of the metrodome. It's like a big pillow full of sports. Why the hell don't the build more stadiums like this?

Ohhhhh

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Schwarbage posted:

I always liked the look of the metrodome. It's like a big pillow full of sports. Why the hell don't the build more stadiums like this?

Ohhhhh

drat shame this didn't happen during a game, specifically with the Cowboys visiting.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

nomadologique posted:

why is it wildly impractical?

in addition to what's already been mentioned it's extremely cold when it gets cold and gets extremely hot when it gets hot. The building is an L-shape so the other part of the L that faces south is all glass-faced as well but it has curtains (a modification on the original design to due someone with some sense about comfort and privacy at the time). The neighbors house to the east sits down about 25 feet in elevation and this was deemed sufficiently invasive that, as a compromise, the original owners bought the neighboring house as well. all the case study houses have aspects that are not very practical and a lot of other elements that are pretty forward-thinking. they used off-the-shelf materials to make otherworldly designs by some of the best designers and architects of the 20th century.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Deathreaper posted:

Downtown Core

Lovely 8 or 9 story windowless block of concrete sitting right in the middle of down town Ottawa. Building takes up about half a block and casts shade all around it. I think it serves as a large mechanical building for a telecom in the region.

MOVE ALONG CITIZEN

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

5er posted:

That house is for people that want to get photographed for being rich fucks up on a great big hill where everyone can see them.

You could just do this all day long.

Or maybe have a couple friends over.

The bedrooms are much more private, they are only a huge glass wall on one side. Still, anyone in the living room can look across the pool area directly into the bedrooms.You'd need to be a pathologically tidy exhibitionist to live there.

Great if you were claustrophobic, or desperately afraid of people sneaking up on you though. You'd never have to worry about spooky haunted house shenanigans, you can see everything. If a ghost wanted to surprise you it would have to wait in the bathroom.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

yes those large windowless buildings are telephone switching centers, now probably converted to data centers. machine no need window. :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vernii posted:

MOVE ALONG CITIZEN

Telecom.

Considering what's inside it, it's a nice building.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Deathreaper posted:

Downtown Core

Love these old AT&T buildings and bunkers! Wheres the cool buildings thread so i can post a bunch

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

fyodor posted:

yes those large windowless buildings are telephone switching centers, now probably converted to data centers. machine no need window. :(

Yea, personally I think they're pretty awesome, but its also amusing that they are giant windowless concrete fortresses in an age where everything else seems to compete to see how much glass can be shoved into onto the facades.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vernii posted:

Yea, personally I think they're pretty awesome, but its also amusing that they are giant windowless concrete fortresses in an age where everything else seems to compete to see how much glass can be shoved into onto the facades.

I love them and every semi-minor city seems to have a version.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Vernii posted:

Are new ones the same? Do they even still build new ones? The ones built with not-mob labor and costs have to last like 500 years

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

drat now I know how allthem white buildings felt

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge was always cool

World's largest bonfire has plans that are orally passed down and at best written on a napkin and completely run by college students? What could possibly go wrong?

whoops

Was pretty baller to see when it was around though

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds
Haha I used to live in the Flat-Iron shaped building behind the building in the OP.

I feel sorry for the poor bastards who owned in that building. When I moved out, there were tons of condo towers being built in that area, all around the building, loving up the amazing views that people had for years beforehand. Got to sting when you spend that much money on a mortgage, downtown Toronto property isn't cheap.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Vernii posted:

MOVE ALONG CITIZEN

loving rules I love it

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I'd like to see the inside of one of those telecom buildings. How much of that space is being used? Are there really zero humans that work there day to day?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8MEm3eVPNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6JjmSAiwsI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrryg7Ffygk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpLaZtWKOqA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcWRGXmSS-k

...or just click here for more meades stuff.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

MSPain posted:

I'd like to see the inside of one of those telecom buildings. How much of that space is being used? Are there really zero humans that work there day to day?

Instead of the normal height, each floor is 18 ft high.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Sharpe posted:

I lived in the building on the left for 16 years. Until they renovated, the hallways were carpeted in Chinese red with matching wallpaper. It was like walking through a blood vessel.

lol

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

fyodor posted:

all the case study houses have aspects that are not very practical and a lot of other elements that are pretty forward-thinking. they used off-the-shelf materials to make otherworldly designs by some of the best designers and architects of the 20th century.

guess i'm not surprised, it's their job to take risks. some of those end up huge loving mistakes, not for a lack of trying; and some of those end up big innovations.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Vernii posted:

MOVE ALONG CITIZEN

holy poo poo this is rad

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
My loving university. Also consider this is in Canada, so try traversing this windblown hellscape at -40.

Edit: the whole drat thing is sinking into the ground at like 30cm/year, thank god.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Billmac posted:

My loving university. Also consider this is in Canada, so try traversing this windblown hellscape at -40.

Edit: the whole drat thing is sinking into the ground at like 30cm/year, thank god.

I love all of this completely.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Billmac posted:

I remember this. It's from Final Fantasy VII, right?

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
That brutalist as gently caress building was called the "AT&T Long Lines Building" nowadays known by its more boring name of 33 Thomas Street. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33_Thomas_Street

It's nuclear war-resistant!

The half finished squatter building reminded me of Ponte City, Johannesburg, which I have spent the last two hours looking at pictures of. It's a giant cylindrical building with an open-air center. After apartheid ended, it turned into a violent drug/prostitution highrise where people threw garbage into the center core until it reached the fifth floor. Nowadays it's apparently a decent apartment building, but its terrible reputation precedes it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponte_City_Apartments

GIS some pictures, it's pretty fascinating.

This is the Bath Building in Raleigh. I think it was built in the very early 1970s. It houses state health department laboratories and specimens and so on, hence the lack of windows. It's right across the street from the current North Carolina capitol building, if I remember correctly.

pants in my pants fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 19, 2015

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
we also got the cheese building, subverting your expectations of where windows go and how many entrances a building should have (1 is good enough)

ty to pet riddick

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Worst loving building on campus.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Ottawa posting and no Lester B Pearson building?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

From OCAD in Toronto here is this ugly piece of poo poo

This looks like it should exist in an 80s music video, not in real life.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Filed under "beautiful but moronic" we have Sagrada Familia.

What makes it moronic? It broke ground in the 1880s and is estimated to still be at least ten years from completion, despite having been worked on for almost all the entire intervening time except during the Spanish Civil War.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Job Truniht posted:

Worst loving building on campus.

In another context this would look cool. I'm just not at all sure what that context would be.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
my quick association of the word condo with the city of toronto came in handy when reading the op of the thread

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

In another context this would look cool. I'm just not at all sure what that context would be.

re-education centre

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Filed under "beautiful but moronic" we have Sagrada Familia.

What makes it moronic? It broke ground in the 1880s and is estimated to still be at least ten years from completion, despite having been worked on for almost all the entire intervening time except during the Spanish Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Saint_John_the_Divine

Same basic story. Beautiful building, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

ArtIsResistance posted:

my quick association of the word condo with the city of toronto came in handy when reading the op of the thread

welcome to toronto we have no culture just glass.
There doesn't seem to be any pics of the finished trump tower, but rest assured the top floor spells out TRUMP visible from 20km away.

• Locked thread