Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this looks like it's straight out of a claymation film

Will Vinton's original claymation art style was literally inspired by Antoni Gaudi.

quote:

At the same time, Vinton became infatuated with the organic, free-flowing work of Spanish architect Antoni Gaudí, and began pursuing a degree in architecture. “You really couldn’t emulate his buildings with T-squares and straight edges,” he tells us. “So I started to work with clay as a medium for creating structures.”

Before long the table in his apartment became a creative hub for clay experimentation:

“I’d get together a bunch of my architecture buddies and artist friends, and we’d sit at this table just covered in clay -- there was clay everywhere -- building stuff, and filming it. Guys would stop by the place and say, ‘Oh, this is cool! You should do something with this!’ I started thinking a little more seriously about where to take it.”

Corek fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 14, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Its a house designed specifically for humans who live with twenty cats.

http://dornob.com/remodeled-house-has-insanely-fun-cat-centric-interior/

Twenty cats is about seventeen too many, but damned if I wouldn't love to turn my house into an indoor playground for my two furbeasts.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

God drat I would be 100% behind this kind of thing getting popular.

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line

Consist posted:

When it comes to an actual architectural design failure, nothing in Los Angeles beats Pershing Square.

Originally, it was just an ordinary park in the middle of downtown

The park went through a lot of changes over the years, until sometime in the early 90s some hotshot architect was brought on to improve the park, and went on to completely ruin it:

Oh? What's that in the far right of that last picture you ask?

Parking ramps! Completely blocking off the sides of the park to pedestrians. Not only that, but the actual park was raised up for some inexplicable reason, and the only entrances to the park are on the corners.

Needless to say, the only people who frequent the park after the renovation are homeless people, and the city has been extremely reluctant to do anything about the park because they're making loads of money off the parking garage below. Although apparently they're currently having a competition for a new park design, with the parking garage intact of course.

I used to work right next to Pershing Square. Never sure how they got off calling it a park when there's about 100 sq ft of green space, and the rest is concrete/paving stones. And the entrances only at the corners/ in the middle made the whole thing feel inaccessible for what should be a park in the middle of downtown. The office has since moved to Old Pasadena, and its quite a step up from downtown LA.

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Make more devil may cry buildings. TIA.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

You fuckers beat me to the Final Fantasy joke!

This building is neat, but way too overdone. If it were toned down just a little bit, it would actually look pretty good. Still better than most of the buildings in this thread.

Speaking of Manhattan, I read an article in NatGeo recently about how there are about 40 new skyscrapers planned or already being built. Nearly all of them are ugly. If they aren't the usual glass rectangle, they are some weird shape (also glass, never enough glass). Apparently people are complaining because the buildings on a street known as "billionaire row" are going to leave central park in perpetual darkness or something.

Anyone know more about that?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Skeleton King posted:

Speaking of Manhattan, I read an article in NatGeo recently about how there are about 40 new skyscrapers planned or already being built. Nearly all of them are ugly. If they aren't the usual glass rectangle, they are some weird shape (also glass, never enough glass). Apparently people are complaining because the buildings on a street known as "billionaire row" are going to leave central park in perpetual darkness or something.

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. Billionaire's Row is 57th street, which runs east-west just to the south of Central Park. The proposed buildings there are much taller than anything else around (some nearly the height of One WTC) and could significantly increase shadows cast on the south end of the park.

The problem with Billionaire's Row isn't so much architectural design as in the way they're being used as tax shelters for foreign oligarchs rather than housing for residents who contribute to the local economy. The incentives this creates for developers are exacerbating the city's extant affordable housing issues.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Skeleton King posted:

You fuckers beat me to the Final Fantasy joke!

This building is neat, but way too overdone. If it were toned down just a little bit, it would actually look pretty good. Still better than most of the buildings in this thread.

googling "buildings on a street known as "billionaire row" are going to leave central park in perpetual darkness or something." was quire informative.

This is the most useful article on the subject after a quick look at them.

e: The Dec. 21 shadows are the worst case scenario.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 15, 2015

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Jesus, it is worse than I thought!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

joat mon posted:

the bottom center one is like a big middle finger lol

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

joat mon posted:

googling "buildings on a street known as "billionaire row" are going to leave central park in perpetual darkness or something." was quire informative.

This is the most useful article on the subject after a quick look at them.

The obvious solution is to just hire Rafael Vinoly to design buildings on the north side of the park.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

xlevus posted:

The obvious solution is to just hire Rafael Vinoly to design buildings on the north side of the park.

To what, design a building to focus a destructive beam of sunlight cutting down the previously mentioned billionaire's row?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

NYC will just attach huge flood lamps to the north facing facades of those new buildings.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
Behold an Art Decco monstrosity.

It's hard to get an idea how big this place is.

J/K art decco is nice I just don't know why they couldn't carry the theme with the other buildings they added.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Bobatron posted:

J/K art decco is nice I just don't know why they couldn't carry the theme with the other buildings they added.

it looks like a couch with no cushions

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
It's a nice design, but jesus it's loving HUGE.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

It looks great in the first picture, but not so much in the other ones.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

haha woah i used to skate this poo poo in tony hawk's pro skater. the "hidden tape" used to be at the top of that huge ugly purple tower.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
They don't really count as failures, but this photo gallery is pretty interesting
http://www.newyorker.com/project/portfolio/high-aspirations

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

a more civilized jewelry box spaceship, from a more funky time

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

The architecture of the buildings in that gallery is excellent in my opinion, particularly on the exteriors. The inside is a bit too overwhelming, but I really like the shapes on the building's exteriors. The green building in particular looks very nice. Not my favorite kind of architecture, but it is far better than most "artsy" architecture.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

They don't really count as failures, but this photo gallery is pretty interesting

Wow. It's like building versions of dekotora trucks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's the kind of thing that would only work in an area that already had a bright local style, but if they fit, they're great.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bobatron posted:

LA has all the best deco.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Definitely not failures, those are 5 story mixed use buildings with a strong sense of style. The only interior pictures are from lobbies and stuff though I think, I'd love to see what an actual dwelling inside looks like.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Last week the Guardian posted an interesting article on London's future skyscapers and the historical quirks that affect their planning.
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/dec/11/city-of-london-skyline-of-tomorrow-interactive

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Bobatron posted:

p sure that was in ghostbusters and is therefore cool

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Great presentation for the HQ of a religion. The Vatican should take notes.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Feminition posted:

that building just wants a hug

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Howard Beale posted:

that building just wants a hug

That building is microagressing by manspreading.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Feminition posted:

always hated this eyesore of a building. bunch of shifty eyed people in short sleeved white shirts and ties surrounding the streets around it. It stands out badly, being in the middle of a bunch of low-density apartment buildings where (at least when I lived in Hollywood) that modest immigrant families live. And Xenu forbid if you have anything to do near it, they all look at you weird and question you.

You can see that the whole block is theirs.

DAMN NIGGA fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 18, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

That building is microagressing by manspreading.

Uh, I don't think that's male. If it is he has a gaping hole right above his staircase dick.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Uncle Enzo posted:

Definitely not failures, those are 5 story mixed use buildings with a strong sense of style. The only interior pictures are from lobbies and stuff though I think, I'd love to see what an actual dwelling inside looks like.

remember the acid trip space voyage from 2001? pretty much that

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

drat NIGGA posted:

always hated this eyesore of a building. bunch of shifty eyed people in short sleeved white shirts and ties surrounding the streets around it. It stands out badly, being in the middle of a bunch of low-density apartment buildings where (at least when I lived in Hollywood) that modest immigrant families live. And Xenu forbid if you have anything to do near it, they all look at you weird and question you.

I don't see an eyesore, I see L Ron's favorite video game:

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

drat NIGGA posted:

This place is actually more menacing looking in real life than it is in these pictures. And every time you try to go to the doctor (Kaiser's like giant SoCal offices surround the place) you get like 100 people saying "oh come to a free movie" and literally surrounding you with their scientology.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Feminition posted:

That thing looks like something straight out of Bioshock.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
From the mind/CG-works of Dahir Insaat, which the OSHA thread has been having so much fun with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPVjABZJqU8

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What happens if you forget a piece of furniture when you're moving out for the night?

Edit: I think this is my favourite for just how absurdly skewed the cost:utility ratio would be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSNbSucyZ4A

GotLag fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

To be fair, most construction workers don't know what the gently caress they're doing, and most foremen are drunk and lazy. When my parents built a new house, my Dad hired 3rd parties to "inspect the inspectors" and they found so much poo poo wrong with the build job.

I worked for a summer inspecting school building fire alarms. We were constantly updating the plans with discrepancies in how the school had been built...still finding them years after the last remodel. They're called "as-builts." My favorites were the chem-lab-equipped high school with fewer smoke detectors than the average elementary school (happened to be my high school), and the firewall that ran like half the length of a (different) high school building but only extended up to the suspended ceiling. The "fix" for that one was to put three smoke detectors above the ceiling in that hallway.

• Locked thread