Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kennel posted:

Bunch of ugly Finnish churches from the 60s (aka Anti-Devil Bunkers):

Tapiolan kirkko

Huutoniemen kirkko

Järvenpään kirkko

Alavan kirkko

Järvenpään kirkko is great. The others are hideous. That looks like a form of architecture well suited to that weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rah! posted:

The Fox Theater in SF was pretty nice:

It was torn down in the 1960's and replaced with this:

Giant concrete cathedral? Hard to beat St. Mary's in SF:

There's also a giant concrete substation fortress of doom in downtown:

You shut your whore mouth :argh:

The first one which replaced the Fox theatre is awful but that cathedral is amazing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

cisco privilege posted:

Most of Brasila's ugly as hell but it inspired a pretty neat furniture series anyways:

Holy poo poo. That's stunning. Please tell me more.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Collateral Damage posted:

Wasn't it the Marriot that literally melted cars parked in certain spots in front of it because it focused the sun on them like the world's biggest ant-burner?

Maybe you're thinking of London's walkie-talkie building.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gyra_Solune posted:

...now I legit wonder if the South has a thing for random-rear end pyramids because I work within walking distance of this

amusingly about six years ago these people built a huge amusement park back around the suburbs, which was then sold and rebranded a year later, and then closed down after another year and now all the stuff is sold off, Good Job

Well, there is a city called Memphis...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tsaedje posted:

Am I too late to do lovely pyramids?

Welcome to Stockport!

I was going to write a history of the building but I thought the David Icke forums did a better job

That article refers to the Ganges; I'm pretty sure they meant the Nile.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
That Interlace building looks really awesome.

This thread reminds me of a building I used to see when I lived in South Africa; the enormous UNISA (correspondence university) building overlooking the main highway between Johannesburg and Pretoria. I'm pretty sure it was designed to look like an airplane, and the nose is cantilevered out almost over the highway.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ANAmal.net posted:

The best building in South Africa is that hollow cylindrical apartment building where everyone got together and filled the middle atrium with a five-story pile of garbage.

Ponte in Hillbrow! Used to be luxury flats in the 60s/70s. I think it's been cleaned up now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

saucerman posted:

Yeah, I've seen those because I spend way too much time looking at satellite images. Phoenix is insane, for a lack of a better term. The south west of the US is especially interesting because it's mostly desert but then you have sprawling suburbs everywhere. It attracts and repulses me at the same time, like a train wreck. I would consider those the real architectural failures.

I'd say that was more town planning than architectural failure, not that there aren't plenty of architectural failures too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Brutalism is cool and good when done well and properly maintained. It is bad when done poorly and/or badly maintained. It's like there is merit in every form of music (even polka), even if they aren't all to your taste.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

canis minor posted:

Where did you think little buildings come from?

:golfclap:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

When we can Finally spell out whole words with skyscrapes that don't just consist of several lower case l's in a row, then we truly will be living in a an amazing and pointless future world!

From a bit closer:

gently caress you gravity! :dance:

edit:

Hey stop taking gravities side. If humans won't to deify and mock gravity they should be able to all they please. :colbert:

How do the lifts work? Are the shafts angled?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CampingCarl posted:

Until the artist takes the engine out and still sells it as a working car anyway.

Not an entirely accurate analogy. More like a car that has a small engine and has a cabin that's really uncomfortable.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Angela Christine posted:

Like if the Reliant Robin had a bunch of pretentious gits praising it's novel design esthetic.

Yeah. And the designer was lauded as a pioneer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen this in a scifi movie where, like, a black hole eats the building from the inside.

We can dream.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Captain Postal posted:

I don't think you get what the architect is trying to do. You're looking at the building the wrong way. From the outside looking in. It's designed for rich fucks, and the one place it looks good is from the inside (where you don't have to look at it)

Example:
Take this view:

Add this (designed by Harry Seidler, Australias answer to Gehry, only more '70's - so more poo poo, and brutallist - so it's a perfect poo poo storm)

And you get this:

Which is said to have the best view in Sydney, because inside is the only place you can't see it.

And for reference of just how poo poo the building is, and how poo poo Seidler is, this is the penthouse balcony (with owner):

They wanted to build 7 of these things on the site: legend has it the famously corrupt and in-the-pocket-of-property-developers council looked at the first one and went Nope.

Good lord, that's appalling, allowing a tower to be sited there. I wonder how much money changed hands. How does one get to that island?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ulvir posted:

I never remove the showerhead from the stand while showering and I can wash my butt and gentleman's region just fine.

Yes. There's an amazing force called gravity that allows water to run down to your body to your foul bits.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Yeah but what do you do when you have to wash your dog? Or heavens forbid, a cat? Fixed showehead seems just cumbersome to me - the great thing about the whole concept of 'a bathtub' is being able to easily wash stuff in it with a detachable showerhead on a rubber hose and not getting yourself wet / spilling water everywhere.

Oh, I have a detachable showerhead and it is indubitably useful for things like that, but I don't detach it when I wash myself.

Some bad architecture: I studied at the Judge Business School at Cambridge, which was located in the old Addenbrookes hospital. Lt looked kinda cool, but the use of internal space was really badly thought-out and inefficient. There is so much wasted space! You've got a walkway thingy running across the front of the building which serves no purpose, a huge atrium space, then the offices etc. The pictures revolves to show the whole space, much of it wasted.
http://misc.jbs.cam.ac.uk/360tours/4th-floor-balcony/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Computer viking posted:

While I understand and to degree agree with your point, consider this:

Sometimes, a city or organisation wants a large decorative statement that doubles as a museum or airport or whatever. For these occasions, form might well be more important than function - so effectively they want a sculptor who works in the medium of buildings. We tend to call those people bad architects.

Ftfy.

A really good architect should be able to deliver the form without horribly compromising the function.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TheMadMilkman posted:

So not Gehry.

Definitely not.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Formulator

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chinatown posted:

thats really good hth

the rainwater from the majority of the roof empties into the pool

But it looks like a 3-eyed Mutant Ninja Turtle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
What's BIM please? Fascinating stories, BTW. More please!

• Locked thread