Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

netally posted:

I only found out this thing existed the other day. ArcelorMittal Orbit, some sort of lovely observation tower built for the 2012 Olympics.

It looks like someone designed a regular, boring tower, but their kid scribbled all over the design randomly, so they just presented it as some cutting edge design.
It's pushing the definition of architecture but on the subject of London I feel the urge to mention the 'Emirates Air Lines' aka the cross-thames cable car that opened around the same time as the ArcelorMittal Orbit (.ie in time for Olympics). Numbers are falling (to 10% of capacity) and it keeps having to be shut due to high winds. At one point a massive four people were using it enough in a week to trigger the commuter discount, now nobody does.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-10079921.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Last week the Guardian posted an interesting article on London's future skyscapers and the historical quirks that affect their planning.
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/dec/11/city-of-london-skyline-of-tomorrow-interactive

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Is there a reason the scientology buildings are blue?
Yes but I can't tell you until you've attended at least twenty $99 training sessions and ascended to a sufficiently high spiritual plane. The fact they are all blue is itself protected Scientology knowledge. Please accept this DCMA take-down notice.

• Locked thread