Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Panzeh posted:

Architecture is superflous spectacle. Put the drafters in charge.

They're usually the ones that figure out how to actually make those hosed up shapes work in the first place... so yeah this gets my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Murder anyone that still uses this command.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Weird I'm reviewing splines at this very moment, no seriously

:vd:

Nerdy autocad time... how many users know that there is an OOPS command? Not undo but oops, and be honest.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

wayfinder posted:

Ferrohaus, Zurich—I think it's some kind of clinic?

The scale is wrong, but this owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaR5wVL9x2I

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MustelaFuro posted:

This is the PatCenter. It looks like someone built a giant locker room around the skeleton of a gutted ship. It has won a bunch of awards too, apparently. I believe it is currently without occupants, if any of you happen to be looking for a "building".

From an ascetic standpoint this is ugly as poo poo, but from a functionality one it's actually really clever since they're using the mechanics of suspension bridges to remove all the structural elements from the interior. All the structural/MEP elements being on the exterior means you get a massive amount of unobstructed factory/warehouse space so you don't have to design the poo poo you're putting inside around columns that are usually holding the roof up.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Messadiah posted:

Wait, what? Explain?

There was a fear during WW2 that the Japanese would bomb CA since most of the aircraft manufacturing in the US was done there. This was a project to hide one of the largest plants from possible bombardment.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
As a native of southern CA it's cute seeing everyone freak out about your little freeways.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FRINGE posted:

I think the super-hippy homes look pretty cool.

If this isn't Tolkien architecture then the person/people that come up with names for architectural styles needs to be fired. :colbert:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the laws and regulations in america for parking and parking lots are often hilarious and sad

As someone that now designs parking structures I can back this up.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Lutha Mahtin posted:

plz post about this :allears:

What do you want to know?

Horror stories about contractors not knowing how to properly form concrete and literally ruining a multi-million dollar building?

How loving up a single number on a plan can cost millions of dollars?

I know everyone talks poo poo about parking structures because they're usually ugly and reinforce commuter traffic, but most of the time it's a super effective use of space and they don't have to look ugly if they spend a bit of money on making them not look like poo poo.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

So I can't post pictures or go into a ton of specifics because (a) it will give away where I work and (b) there are still some pending lawsuits on these.

Now, concrete isn't that hard to do yet you would be literally shocked (horrified) when you realize just how many concrete contractors... people who's only job is to manage concrete pours, are complete and utter gently caress-ups. (And no joke, the US has arguably the most talented contractors in the world, I have even more horror stories about Chinese projects) Now I'm not talking about mom+pop contractors you hire to pour a patio, we're talking about firms that have been around long enough and have had enough capital to purchase concrete pumping vehicles that size of 18 wheelers.

For instance on the one project I was referring to, national ADA requires you to have a 8'2" clearance from the top of the slab to the bottom of the beam so you can drive an ambulance beneath them, and not just in the drive isle. This is a pretty big requirement that's been around for decades so it's not like it's new and it's why when we design things we usually give the guys in the field 2" above that because poo poo happens and :lol: if you think they can build poo poo as accurate as you've designed something to. Now typically the huge concrete beams on structures get poured into a form and because concrete is loving heavy they will place a bunch of hydraulic jacks under the forms so stay relatively level and don't sag to the point of not getting that 8'-2" clearance... only apparently not on this project.

So when they took the concrete forms off and there was as much as 8" of sag on some of the longer spans. Ok... you can chip away at the concrete to get your clearance right? Well the slight problem with that is the structural rebar buried in the beams is only about 4" above the bottom of the column. Quick math on that says not only are you chipping away 6" of concrete, but you'd also have to remove the rebar in the column itself which is the entire point of that column. So yeah, brand new structure had to be demolished and rebuilt because of that gently caress-up... and they found that on level one after they just poured the 5th level.

The second one isn't all that glamours, but basically someone thought it would be a good idea to try their hand at calculating finish floor elevations when they didn't know how to actually calculate finish floor elevations. Now normally that wouldn't be the end of the world, but when it's at the doorway of a wrap project (parking structure is wrapped by residential units) that interfaces with the building surrounding it, and they hosed up the finish floor elevation by 6" you run into an issue that cost the firm in question about 1/2 million dollars to fix it, both in extra materials and extra engineering fees. That's however not that bad since that firm is still in business while the concrete contractor above just declared bankruptcy, the construction administration firm that was overseeing the construction and should have caught that poo poo also just went bankrupt, and the general contractor that hired both of them are in serious poo poo.

Bogatyr posted:

It may be BS but I heard a story recently that a Walmart project went sideways when the plumbing plan of the pipes and stuff in the slab was mirror image to all the other plans, slab got poured and consequently demolished when the error was discovered.

This sounds right. Coordinating the MEP on a project is huge which is why people like me get paid retarded sums of money to build accurate models that virtually build an entire project before they even break ground.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 8, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

keyboard vomit posted:

BIM is great until you start getting electrical panels feeding themselves. I'm consistently amazed by revit and not in a good way.

Yeah, Revit is great for everything except for electrical design and has been for years. You're much better off using AutoCAD MEP (devices are your friend) since it's much, much better for electrical design while still giving you about 95-98% of the BIM functionality that Revit gives you.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Quick one since I sort of touched on it earlier, but Chinese contractors vs. American ones.

Now, I'm not all :patriot: and poo poo and saying that US contractors are the best or anything, but they're super high up there compared to the rest of the world in that you can give them very tight tolerances on things and most of the time they will be well within those tolerances.

A good example of this would be a stud wall with a stone veneer finish.

Now in the US it's expected that if the plans called out for a wall that from the interior to exterior would be 5/8" Gyp, 4" stud, 2 layers of 1/2" plywood, and 1 1/2" of veneer the overall width of that wall would be 7 1/8" +/- about a 1/2" on a wall that's say 20' long, and the wall might kick out an additional 1/2" at the top or bottom per 10' of height. So worse case you're talking about 1" out of alignment which might sound horrible if you're OCD but in the world of construction that's actually super accurate and so if you know you'll need a very exact interior room size you'll usually compensate by adding another 1-2" since you'll know that the vast majority of contractors can hit that minimum room dimensions.

China on the other hand... holy loving poo poo.

If you were designing that same wall in China you would not only have to plan on an additional 2-3" per 20' of length misalignment and 10' of height misalignment, but would also need to account for another 4" of stone veneer, making a wall that would be 7 1/8" in the US become roughly 12" in China. So remember that the next time your idiot family member starts talking about China overtaking the US as a world power because they can barely build poo poo 1/2 as well as we can. The Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea (the pyramid that's literally falling apart) is probably more structurally sound than like 1/2 of the buildings that have been put up in China over the last 10-15 years. It's so bad that they have to import entire construction crews from Europe to do anything close to precision construction like structural framing for glass canopies and walls.

keyboard vomit posted:

If you set electrical equipment to a "Demolished" phase it just deletes it.

The MEP side of revit is jankey as hell but its required where I work so its what I'm stuck with. At leas t device placement is easy.

Since I haven't worked there in years I'll just name drop Sasco since they're a fairly well known electrical firm and I literally set up their system so that in their office unless they're 100% required to work in Revit they will absolutely do everything in AutoCAD MEP including BIM coordination and it works flawlessly from devices to conduits to equipment.

No joke, in Acad MEP you can set it up so that you can layout everything in plan view yet get the exact size and location in 3D of the device you just placed, even if on plan view the electrical receptacle looks like the standard symbol. From there you can layout full circuit design and panel designation with connections and wire tags to the right j-boxes and panels. Like for real, look into devices & wires on AutoCAD MEP (which should be included in the design suite your firm purchased from autodesk) because it's all there and it's worlds better than what you get with Revit while giving you full BIM functionality.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 8, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

wayfinder posted:

Somehow I can't deal with you guys still using feet and inches, it sounds just so ridiculous!

That might be so, but I can 100% guarantee you that every Intel chip plant is designed and fully laid out in feet and inches, including all the piping/conduits/ducts going to all the tools.

Take that metric system!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

NihilismNow posted:

This is the cause for the bad yield on the 5.5 x 10-7 inch node.

No clue, and the only way to really describe their fabs without breaking NDA stuff is that they're giant chemical plants inside of a clean room. The vast majority of the mechanical stuff is typically done per tool or on the automated overhead hoist-way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

RE: Concrete, a colleague who used to be a civil engineer was saying that part of the reason that loads of tower blocks built in the 60s and 70s in the UK are being demolished is that (in addition to being terrible fire hazards) the concrete slabs were pre fabs that were layed next to each other with the steel rebar sticking out then joined on site by pouring concrete into the gap between slabs. Great in theory as you get one continuous slab without having to form in place but apparently the gaps were used as dumps for whatever rubbish the builders had lying around they couldn't be bothered to take down x levels so the joints aren't contiguous and are filled with coke cans and shite .

Next time I see my friend thats a structural engineer now I'm going to tell him this and it'll probably give him nightmares.

As long as the stuff they dumped in there won't deteriorate (like metal trash) it should be fine. Anything that isn't metal though would cause voids to form in the concrete over the years and that's super bad structurally speaking, and why it's 100% bullshit to think that people are buried in concrete foundations like the story of people falling into freshly poured concrete in the Hoover Dam and they were left there.

• Locked thread